Anyone have a Hermida DOVER DRIVE or Crowther HOT CAKE?

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
Been rocking out with my CE22 into my '67 Deluxe Reverb. Just got the Deluxe back from my brother Bruce at Mission Amps and it's sounding wonderful. Bruce put a Celestion Heritage G12H30 in it and those are such great speakers. I prefer the Heritage that's Made in England to the Chinese version. Costs more, but worth it.

Been comparing my DOVER DRIVE to the HOT CAKE and loving both, but finding them to be very similar.

The Dover Drive is designed to emulate Eric Johnson's violin tones, but crank it up and it becomes a sweet sounding Fuzz. Not harsh at all.

The Hot Cake gets a very similar tone even though it came out in the 70's. It can do the violin thing beautifully, or act as a boost, or crank it up and it gets pretty fuzzy. More bottom end than the Dover Drive.

I'm not into dissecting pedals, but I wonder if the Dover Drive is based on the Hot Cake? I don't know. But they sure look and sound similar.

The Dover Drive has slightly sweeter sound but they're both great.

Anyways, just giving a heads up on these two killer pedals. Check them out if you get a chance.

The other secret weapon I like is the Visual Sound Route 808. It's like a boutique Tubescreamer.

Sounds just like a TS808 but you can add more bass and dial out that nasal, somewhat annoying honk Tubescreamers get.

Or not. It can also sound just like a TS808.

Great pedal. Discontinued unfortunately. Their Chorus is a killer too! If you can find one.

Last edited:
You’re a few years too late or I probably could have helped you. I used to spend all my online time in either the pedal section (and pedal emporium) at TGP, or at the BYOC forum. I was ALL into building and modding pedals. Those guys would break down any popular pedal…and usually make circuit boards, and some would even sell kits to build, copies of many boutique pedals. I still have a few full kits, at least 20 boards from bare to fully populated, and BAGS of pots, caps, resistors, LEDs, footswitches, jacks, etc., etc., … even (Don’t tell you-know-who) BAGS full of mini toggle switches.

I went from that, to building and modding amps, and from that to just buying brand name good pedals and amps. Haven’t built or modded a pedal or amp in 10 years. But back then I could have looked at both and told you how close they were, built a clone of either, etc.

I don't have the Dover Drive anymore but it's supposed to be based on a Fuzz Face into a Zendrive. Or maybe the other way around but those pedals are definitely the foundation. Playing with the bias trimpot can get some great starved/spitty sounds. Sadly sold it because of an ex who hated anything that brought me joy.

Oddly enough, I happen to have a Hotcake coming in the mail right now. Thinking about getting another DD, too. I'll put up a short comparison video if I go that way.

I don't have the Dover Drive anymore but it's supposed to be based on a Fuzz Face into a Zendrive. Or maybe the other way around but those pedals are definitely the foundation. Playing with the bias trimpot can get some great starved/spitty sounds. Sadly sold it because of an ex who hated anything that brought me joy.

Oddly enough, I happen to have a Hotcake coming in the mail right now. Thinking about getting another DD, too. I'll put up a short comparison video if I go that way.
I think they're very similar. The Hot Cake has more low end and a little more of a ripping texture.

The Dover Drive has a little sweeter or smoother fuzz. It's supposed to emulate Eric Johnson's Butler Tube Driver/Fuzzface combo that gives him his violin tone. It it does.

They're both extremely cool pedals!

I have two Dover Drives and one has developed a ring. Like a microphonic tube although there's no tube.

Thinking of sending it back to Hermida for a repair, if they'll do that.

Back