Do you use an overdrive pedal for your rock lead sounds?

I'm not a proper "rock" player, really, being more of an Americana and fusion fan. Depending on which amp I'm going through, I tend to use either KOT or Cornish SS-3. I also have a bunch of others for alternative musical contexts (Nobels, Cornish CC-1, Red Dirt, Plumes etc).

When I'm practicing at lower levels, I use the pedals to get some extra texture into the equation. The more I turn up my main amps - Two Rock CRS V1 and Akoya; Boogie MkIIB Coli, IIC+ and MkIV - the less I need any pedals at all.

For my big Fenders, I use one of the KOTs (V2, V4). With Hiwatt amps I use the Cornish pedals a lot more.

I don't stack.

I'm not a proper "rock" player, really, being more of an Americana and fusion fan. Depending on which amp I'm going through, I tend to use either KOT or Cornish SS-3. I also have a bunch of others for alternative musical contexts (Nobels, Cornish CC-1, Red Dirt, Plumes etc).

When I'm practicing at lower levels, I use the pedals to get some extra texture into the equation. The more I turn up my main amps - Two Rock CRS V1 and Akoya; Boogie MkIIB Coli, IIC+ and MkIV - the less I need any pedals at all.

For my big Fenders, I use one of the KOTs (V2, V4). With Hiwatt amps I use the Cornish pedals a lot more.

I don't stack.
Sounds a little like me. When I gig it's usually blues or Americana and I don't tend to use a lot of overdrive or distortion. Just not appropriate.

Might bring just my EGO Compressor and my Deluxe Reverb. I set the compressor just to thicken and boost the sound of a Strat or Silver Sky with single coils...which is what I usually gig with.

Haven't gigged with the HDRX 20 yet and when I do I'll have to bring a TC Hall of Fame reverb pedal or Providence Delay pedal. I don't like a dry sound and that amp has no reverb.

It's mostly at home that I play with my overdrive pedals. I'm playing at a lower volume, though not much lower, and I'm playing for practice and just to play and get to know my stuff.

So I'll rock out a little more and use my overdrive pedals and compare them and tweak my settings and all that.

Last edited:
I rarely use an overdrive pedal by itself in to a clean amp, unless I'm just trying to get low gain/edge of break up type tones or using something more like an amp in a box pedal. For just standard overdrives then I get the amp nice and crunchy and then use the overdrive to push it over the edge. I have a centura klone that works good for this - but also a whole bunch of the boss overdrive/distortion pedals are perfectly fine. No need to get anything too exotic when pushing an already driven tone as most of the sound is coming from the amp rather than the pedal.

I have a Kemper and an FM9 but this thread was about pedals and I don't use pedals with those units. :)
I heard a great band from Grand Junction last summer and I think the guitarist had a Kemper running through the PA.

Neither he or the bass player had amps onstage.

They sounded terrific! They did some Hendrix, some Steely Dan, some SRV, some originals...

The guitarist's Hendrix tones blew me away. And they were all coming from a modeler into the PA.

We did have the best soundman in the area doing sound that day. Guy named Daniel B.

I never use it, but I have a Fender Mustang III modeling amp. Celestion 12" V (for Vintage?) Series speaker.

Cost about $400 new by the time I added the more deluxe footswitch. A steal for a killer little modeling amp.

It's a great little grab and go amp with every sound you can imagine.

Last edited:
I typically run my amps clean and get dirt from pedals. My low to medium dirt is from a Rockett Blue Note. I'll often leave it on and roll my guitar volume to get "clean." My medium to high dirt is from Rockett The Dude. Sometimes I'll stack the Dude after the Blue Note but I have to be careful since I run the Dude fairly dirty, stacking them can get over the top. My amp is either a Allen Encore or a Magnatone Panoramic Stereo. If I want to do real high gain, I'll use my Boogie TC50 head into a Boogie 2x12. With that I use the amp's dirt with a bit of boost in front.

I do. I run my amp (Bugera V22) clean, basically as a pedal platform.

EHX OD Glove (OCD Killer!) for low to medium gain, Friedman BE-OD for higher gain. Xotic EP Booster and SP Compressor for further tone-shaping...

I heard a great band from Grand Junction last summer and I think the guitarist had a Kemper running through the PA.

Neither he or the bass player had amps onstage.

They sounded terrific! They did some Hendrix, some Steely Dan, some SRV, some originals...

The guitarist's Hendrix tones blew me away. And they were all coming from a modeler into the PA.

We did have the best soundman in the area doing sound that day. Guy named Daniel B.

I never use it, but I have a Fender Mustang III modeling amp. Celestion 12" V (for Vintage?) Series speaker.

Cost about $400 new by the time I added the more deluxe footswitch. A steal for a killer little modeling amp.

It's a great little grab and go amp with every sound you can imagine.
I live close enough to Daytona that I go to the bike events there as well as in Leesburg. I see a lot of bands using Kempers. We saw a band earlier there this month that did a wide range of songs. The bass player was using a Kemper and the guitar player was using an Axe FX III. It is pretty common to see these units in those settings. Kemper is the one I see the most. It used to be Helix rack units second. I am starting to see more of the Axe FX units and a few less Helix units lately.

I typically run my amps clean and get dirt from pedals. My low to medium dirt is from a Rockett Blue Note. I'll often leave it on and roll my guitar volume to get "clean." My medium to high dirt is from Rockett The Dude. Sometimes I'll stack the Dude after the Blue Note but I have to be careful since I run the Dude fairly dirty, stacking them can get over the top. My amp is either a Allen Encore or a Magnatone Panoramic Stereo. If I want to do real high gain, I'll use my Boogie TC50 head into a Boogie 2x12. With that I use the amp's dirt with a bit of boost in front.
Yes, me too.

Right now I'm using:

1. Wampler EGO compressor for my clean boost
2. Klon KTR for Jeff Beck and bluesy overdrive
3. Dover Drive for Eric Johnson style overdrive and violin tones
4. Hot Cake for ZZ style Blues Rock and muscled up harder rock overdrive.
5. Strymon Timeline delay
6. Hall of Fame 2 Reverb pedal

I'm finally satisfied with the sound of every pedal on my board.

I can get my own sounds and also pull off decent Santana, SRV, Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Eric Johnson, and Bluesbreakers and Cream era Clapton, Green and Mick Taylor tones.

I have a Dude V1 pedal. That is such a nice pedal. I traded a Wampler Euphoria in on it. I hated that pedal. It didn't get along with my amps at all and I never got a tone from it that I liked.

I have a Dude V1 pedal. That is such a nice pedal. I traded a Wampler Euphoria in on it. I hated that pedal. It didn't get along with my amps at all and I never got a tone from it that I liked.

I have V1 on one board and V2 on a second board. I have to be careful remembering which one is which. V1 is super loud. It runs unity at about 1/4 and V2 runs unity about 1/2. I replaced V1 knobs with knobs more like V2 so it's easier to see where they are set.

That's the thing. I've been putting my board together for years and chose gear that sounded good with my blackface Fender amps.

Thank goodness it also sounds great with my HDRX 20.

But I did add the Hot Cake overdrive to my board because it sounds so ridiculously good through the HDRX and a Celestion G12H30 speaker.

The HDRX has a lot of muscle. It loves a good overdrive pedal and doesn't turn to bland mush when using saturated tones. It retains some texture.

It has some of that macho and tough guy vibe of a good vintage Marshall.

Last edited:
That's the thing. I've been putting my board together for years and chose gear that sounded good with my blackface Fender amps.

Thank goodness it also sounds great with my HDRX 20.

But I did add the Hot Cake overdrive to my board because it sounds so ridiculously good through the HDRX and a Celestion G12H30 speaker.
The Hot Cake is kind of the one that got away for me. I wanted one and never got it. They are more money now than I am willing to pay for it. I have so many OD pedals to choose from that sound good that I just can't justify it.

I was looking at the Keely Red Dirt Germanium as well. I love the Red Dirt and have two of them. I just don't know that I am going to get something much different in the Germanium version. I have a good OCD and did buy the Germanium version of that. What is interesting on that one is that the Germanium version sounds quite a bit like my version of the OCD but is slightly brighter. There are so many versions of the OCD that I think any new variation on the circuit isn't going to sound a lot different. That experience has made me hesitant on buying the Keeley Germanium.

The Hot Cake is kind of the one that got away for me. I wanted one and never got it. They are more money now than I am willing to pay for it. I have so many OD pedals to choose from that sound good that I just can't justify it.

I was looking at the Keely Red Dirt Germanium as well. I love the Red Dirt and have two of them. I just don't know that I am going to get something much different in the Germanium version. I have a good OCD and did buy the Germanium version of that. What is interesting on that one is that the Germanium version sounds quite a bit like my version of the OCD but is slightly brighter. There are so many versions of the OCD that I think any new variation on the circuit isn't going to sound a lot different. That experience has made me hesitant on buying the Keeley Germanium.
Nothing ever sounds exactly the way you imagine it will.

I do use a Klon KTR with Bill Finnigan's prized germanium diodes. He even highlights them on the circuit board in a little printed circle with a notice that reads: "these are what you want to see".

I think they're worth it. I like the sound of Bill's clone of his own Klon design. I like it better than the Klon clones I've owned: a couple of Aluminum Falcons and the Soul Food.

You can still find a Hot Cake for $300. They're worth it. As is the Dover Drive.

The Dover Drive I use mostly for soloing tones. The Hot Cake I use for both soloing and rock rhythm tones. It's less saturated and more open sounding.

If I'm playing a Silver Sky or a Strat I can leave my Klon KTR on all the time and it lets me go from "rock clean" to Jeff Beck style overdrive using just the guitar's volume control.

Since getting the Hot Cake I've been using the Klon a little less.

Last edited:
Since I play metal primarily, I pretty much use my OD on for both my lead and rhythm tones and sometimes i even leave it on on my clean channel for a little grit in front of my MT15 (main) and Revv G20 (backup). Lately, i've been using the Horizon Devices Nano Attack (basically a mini Precision Drive). I still have my Ibanez TubeScreamer Mini and my trusty old MXR ZW-44 (the original black and white version, not that awful Berserker reissue). I would love to have no overdrive pedals in front of my amp but so far, I have not found an amp that has a proper high-gain metal tone without using one.

Last edited:
Back