Do you sound like you, no matter what you play?

I had this conversation today with a real life guitar buddy. If we each had identical acoustic guitars and simply played the same scales with the same timing would others be able to distinguish who was who on a recording? Would our “sounds like me” differences manifest from just playing scales?

I had this conversation today with a real life guitar buddy. If we each had identical acoustic guitars and simply played the same scales with the same timing would others be able to distinguish who was who on a recording? Would our “sounds like me” differences manifest from just playing scales?
I think yes to most pairs of guitar players.

There are enough subtleties in both the left and right hand that you could detect differences between the two. Perhaps harder to identify who was who. If you played back the tape, I think I would know which was me, as would my wife.

Maybe less true for people who haven’t been playing very long.

To some extent, yeah. There are some guitars and amps that I just don’t agree with. In which I sound like @bodia - Strats and Marshalls just don’t work for me.

That said, if I’m playing any gear in my wheelhouse, I sound like me. I rifled through a bunch of high end amps awhile ago and found I dialed them in similar enough that I could probably use any of them and sound like me. Still, I have an amp that’s a bucket list amp, I have a PRS guitar I want to build that would be subtly different. I still feel like I need it. Would either make me sound significantly different? No. It’s all about what inspires though. Anything that evokes a feeling or mood that makes one want to continue playing or do something different is a worthwhile thing.

I can sound like me, and I can sound like me imitating other players.

Knowing that, I try to work on being the best-sounding version of me that I can be. But I've got a long, long way to go. I have a few things that sound like nobody else I know of, but I play 'em over and over again and need to expand that repertoire.

I think we unconsciously adjust our touch when we play different guitars, to get the sound we hear in our heads. We can hear the difference. Sometimes our close friends/significant others can hear the difference. When we play with a band, most people cannot. Different guitars do inspire us to play different things. My bends are different on a stop tail than on a PRS trem. 24 frets gets me to play differently than 22, ad nauseum.......we still sound like us when all is said and done. That being said, I’ve worked my ass off for decades to achieve the stunning level of mediocrity I have ascended to.

Just today i picked up my acoustic and started playing, and thought... damn that sounds like that guy from Queensryche. The more i played the more it sounded like the acoustic part from "Silent Lucidity" Then when i went to throw it onto the looper, i totally lost my groove and thought nope that sounds like Bodia:rolleyes:, only worse.:oops:
I can relate! :D

Yes and no. Yes in that I always sound like me because it's me playing the thing, but no because certain guitars can affect different moods in me that can change my playing style. A couple of examples, I've always loved Gretsch guitars, they just look so dang cool, but everytime I'd play one, I immediately started trying to play rockabilly or Chet Atkins style...trying is the optimal word here btw. The other is a Tele. Cool looking and plays great with a long history in rock and blues, but I'll start country picking as soon as it's plugged in. The Tele I've struggled with for even longer than the Gretsch as when I sit down with one, suddenly I'm Don Rich looking for Buck Owens.

I noodle most of the time, so I guess yes I do.

Reub,

You're growing old. Like yourself, I both noodle and putter about. Then I put the kettle on, and try to practice with some aplomb. The only thing I've discovered is how deep one can be immersed when they set their mind to it. In fact, this is what a student might do. Don't overthink it; avoid the "sharks and clams, but have a sense of porpoise in life." :)

Reub,

You're growing old. Like yourself, I both noodle and putter about. Then I put the kettle on, and try to practice with some aplomb. The only thing I've discovered is how deep one can be immersed when they set their mind to it. In fact, this is what a student might do. Don't overthink it; avoid the "sharks and clams, but have a sense of porpoise in life." :)

Thanks Bob:)

Within reason, I generally sound similar regardless of what gear I’m using, but some gear gets me there really easy while other gear I have to fight every step of the way.

if you’re terrible, play more chords and find a busy bass player. lots of flanger.

Yep, that's a given. Except I sound like the washing machine gyrating across the basement floor. Remind me to never put sneakers in a dryer unless I need to hear a tympani solo.

Back