Do you sound like you, no matter what you play?

Yup...I just did an experiment. "I put liquid paper on a bee...and it died." Step Brothers.

Seriously though, minus the effects, I sound the same for the most part. The guitars sound different, (HB vs. SC) but my touch seems about the same at least.

Science is cool!:cool:

And really really loud.

What, and embarrass myself? No can do at 12:30 AM. Local police have a strong dislike for loud parties after 11 PM, hence, no fun and games at this location.

Party is across the street a couple blocks away in the local bar with all sorts of disregarding social distancing and face masks.

Wait staff is just about picking up glasses and washing/drying for tomorrow's noontime crowd.

Last edited:
People talk about the greats sounding like themselves on any guitar. I'm not a great, but I think I do too.

I played a single HSS Strat nearly exclusively for 18 years.

Picked up a Gibson SG this spring. The guitar had a totally different sound than what I was used to.

I put the biggest flatwound strings I could find on it - George Benson .14s.

I made a recording for a buddy with the SG on the neck pickup. He responds: "great playing! Is that on a Strat?"

He turned me on to a band called Khruangbin. I would've sworn the guy was playing on a semi hollow body or other jazz box. Nope, he plays one Strat, and uses his knobs and an always-on wah pedal to manipulate his tone.

It got me thinking. How maybe when we focus on differences, we hear them plain as day. But then maybe when we set that aside and get back to playing, back to our comfortable zone of how we pick, how we adjust our settings, what we're trying to achieve in a given musical scenario, and use our ears and hands to guide us, that our weapon of choice doesn't matter nearly as much as our vision and capability in realizing that vision (maybe this is a parallel for our sociopolitical differences too. Not the place for that discussion, but food for thought).

I've certainly read about this in magazines, forums, etc. But experiencing it firsthand with my own playing seems to drive it home. If I could package this realization, I'd keep several jars on hand and retire early by selling the rest as anti-GAS medication.

Do you sound like you, no matter what you play? If so, how does that impact which instrument you choose for a given scenario? If not, how do you keep your multitude of options from distracting you from making music?

Funny, I played with a bass player for years..he would change his complete rig every 6 months and always sound the same..no bass.
I would watch him grab the bass knob and turn it all the way down??
He eventually went to guitar and started turning the bass knob up?..lol

Funny, I played with a bass player for years..he would change his complete rig every 6 months and always sound the same..no bass.
I would watch him grab the bass knob and turn it all the way down??
He eventually went to guitar and started turning the bass knob up?..lol

Unusual experience...one year early 80's, my brother asked me if I'd like to play in a band as a one-time experience for a high school's 1st-year anniversary. Our band (can't remember all the members' names, though) set about practicing for 2 days straight through, 10 hours each day. We got about 25 songs under our belts, enough to carry us through the first 55 minutes until the gathering's beer kegs ran out.

Dress code was semi-formal...me, in a white shirt & tie, dark business suit, dress shoes, my brother, in overalls and plaid shirt, playing bass...the lead guitarist in granny night robe, grey wig & fuzzy slippers, cigarette. Lead singer and drummer, I've forgotten... What a sight we were.

My brother was delegated to playing bass, but had little to no experience. He just plugged in, turned waaaay down, and did the best he could given his ability as an acoustic guitarist.

That was perhaps the only time I've ever been part of a band, only other times was as a guest sitting in at open-mic jams with the house band, or as a solo guitarist playing leads to my phone's Music playlist through a mixer/PA...and frankly, what with social distancing, going out to meet socially at open-mics has not been possible...which means more time to woodshed...

Yes, when I play within my genre. And the tone (In my mind) needs to fit that genre for my comfort level. Also, I’m a lazy player. I need to explore more often. Maybe that explains why I “sound like me.”

Similar here, I think?? I have specific tunes I really like to turn up (regardless of how awful they sound...:confused:) and they definitely sound like me...Also, I get into ruts, which is most likely why I play like me.
If I had to pin it down, I guess the sound I'm searching for would be HB into a thick OD/Fuzz...and some delay, and there you go. Pretty much every stadium Rock band from the 70's and 80's. Well, definitely just not as good.

Back