Do you use an overdrive pedal for your rock lead sounds?

I'm finally satisfied with the sound of every pedal on my board.
I'm in the same boat - very happy with what I've got. Everything's working just the way I want!

"Doesn't being satisfied kinda spoil the fun of the always-on pedal hunt, Les?"

"Yes... But there's a silver lining."

"What would that be?"

"When I fall asleep in the middle of That Pedal Show - which I do every time, because let's face it, by the middle of the show it gets a bit repetitive - I haven't missed anything that's gonna affect my tone." ;)

I'm in this camp too. What I used regularly was...

Wampler Sovereign
Wampler Euphoria (sometimes I ran two of these)
Wampler Hot Wired
Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe
Wampler Paisley (I eventually traded it)
Whitfield DUI
Danelectro Cool Cat
Boss Metal zone (because why not)

Typically, I would have all those Wamplers on the board at all times since we were playing country, classic rock, and some hair metal on the same gig.
Speaking my language. I’m a huge Wampler fan and have several of their overdrive pedals to push my sound one way or another. Great pedals.

I'm in the same boat - very happy with what I've got. Everything's working just the way I want!

"Doesn't being satisfied kinda spoil the fun of the always-on pedal hunt, Les?"

"Yes... But there's a silver lining."

"What would that be?"

"When I fall asleep in the middle of That Pedal Show - which I do every time, because let's face it, by the middle of the show it gets a bit repetitive - I haven't missed anything that's gonna affect my tone." ;)

100 percent :)

I'm coming to a (not-so-sad) realisation: the only thing that's going to improve my tone on any given day is....... me.

Cancel or allow?

I do the Tubescreamer stacking like Trey does. I love that pedal.

If I need to cut through the Boss HM2 is a chainsaw that can cut through any mix. That's also one of my top 2 units.

Lots of good ideas in this thread!

Nope.
I use a vintage Tweed Deluxe or my PRS H.
I have a Chandler Tube overdrive, Zendrive, and J Rockett Alan Holdsworth overdrive boost.
I don't use them.

Usually not. Gain comes from the "amp" or in my case differently gained profiles in my kemper or helix. If I use a boost, with very little drive, I do so for, cutting the mix purposes or gain structure.

However with my amp in 4 cable I use both channels of my mesa TA and use an EQ and boost to make it a 5 channel amp. The EQ to lower the input signal for my Vox channel, to get cleanish and a "klon" for boosting the vox or the marshally voiced channels to add a little dirt, to create an additional gain stage. The vox only has one and the marshall only 2

I use a Helix all the time now so lots of options available to me on that (amp is collecting dust in the shed). When I did use a pedal board I used a number of overdrives (the Pettyjohn Gold is stunning!) but for a solo kick it was always the Xotic EP Booster. Awesome pedal and perfect for solos. Big shout out for the Wampler Tumnus too!

I only have one pedal...is that wrong...lol.
Fortunately I have managed to avoid that bottomless pit.

It is an Ibanez Tube Screamer though...say no more!

Here's my recently revised pedal board that I've been using with the HDRX 20 head and VHT speaker cab with two Veteran 30 12's.

Signal goes from Polytune tuner to Wampler Ego Compressor to Wampler Tumnus Klon clone to Hot Cake to Dover Drive to Timeline to Hall of Fame II Reverb to one amp or two.

Last edited:
Looks a lot like my board minus a fuzz and a treble booster. Only real difference is placement of my compressor after the overdrives. Either way works, I tried both and it seems to work better at the end of the chain.

Looks a lot like my board minus a fuzz and a treble booster. Only real difference is placement of my compressor after the overdrives. Either way works, I tried both and it seems to work better at the end of the chain.
I use the EGO compressor more as a boost to create a thick but transparent tone.

I use it to prep the signal to my overdrive pedals. To fatten the tone just a little.

It's great for clean chords and rhythm tones too.

I keep its effect fairly subtle.

You can hardly tell it's on...until it's off.

These days it’s mostly a 22 watt 1949 Fender Tweed pro clone. My extensive pedal board is a Soul Food and a volume pedal. Hey, the amp’s got a tone AND a volume knob! Don’t need much else. I do have a pedal bored that hasn’t been out of the case for a few years.

Back