Do you prefer you PRS with Nitro or Poly Finish?

I'm not experienced enough with nitro finishes to know if they sound better, or not. However, it is known that they require more care when handling and storing. Personally, I'd rather not worry about my straps or stands.

^^^This^^^
I LOVE my WL satin 594... so there... STEVE!!!:p

I get it. It’s subjective anyway, but I just don’t understand highly-figured wood hidden behind satin. It’s all personal taste, and no right or wrong.

Heck, I know a guy who doesn’t like blue guitars. How do you explain that?!! :confused:

I get it. It’s subjective anyway, but I just don’t understand highly-figured wood hidden behind satin. It’s all personal taste, and no right or wrong.

Heck, I know a guy who doesn’t like blue guitars. How do you explain that?!! :confused:
The WL 594 is my first satin. I was intrigued when I saw it and always wondered about it.
I've gotta say, the feel of it is outta this world. From the body to the rosewood neck it just feels fantastic.
Sure, it doesn't shine/reflect as much but dayum... it's as premium as my others. For me anyway...
Anyway... subjective is the deal. We all like/love what we like/love.:cool:

I'm not experienced enough with nitro finishes to know if they sound better, or not. However, it is known that they require more care when handling and storing. Personally, I'd rather not worry about my straps or stands.

You know, I had forgotten that some people think the finish affects the sound.
I'm glad I don't have such amazing ears. They would bankrupt me.

I know this is true - Nitro can react to other chemicals, including some rubbers and foams found on stands etc, but in practice I've not worried too much and largely treat my nitro guitars the same as my poly ones. I bought a stand that has cork bumpers rather than the usual rubber, but quite often guitars go down on whatever stand is available regardless of what guitar/stand it is. No trouble so far after years of doing it this way.
Nitro guitars certainly have their quirks. The finish can yellow with age - my 2005 Olympic white EJ strat is now vintage white on the front, but with a less yellowed area where my arm covers the finish. It wears and dents easier, and it can craze and crack with large temperature changes.

What I prefer does somewhat depend on the guitar. Anything more traditional or vintage inspired then I don't mind living with the quirks of nitro, in fact I prefer it.

Seriously? That cotton candy smell..... Nitro, every time.....

I don’t really have a preference as long as it’s well done. They both have their pros and cons but it’s way down on my list of priorities. I do prefer gloss to satin overall, just because it’s a higher quality more durable finish. The exception would be on the back of the neck, but even that’s not a deal maker or breaker, just a nice touch :)

I don’t think I’ll ever buy a non satin PRS again. I love the smooth feel of it and I personally think it lets the guitar resonate a touch better. My 594 is starting to gloss up a little but it doesn’t really bother me.

Back