Do you prefer you PRS with Nitro or Poly Finish?

EJB

Which do you prefer and why between PRS’s CAB Nitro or their Clear Poly?

Over a pretty b!tchin guitar I might add!
It's a great guitar with a great finish, and I love the thin satin nitro finish. But it's really starting to 'relic' in my ownership. It's gone from satin, to gloss, and now it's getting hints of going satin in high wear patches. There's dents and nicks starting to show everywhere, specially around the lower edge and unfortunately a few on the top. It picks up a dent just by looking at it! I don't mind too much, it's got character. But you know sometimes, I look at how nice it is and I feel a pang that it would be nice if it looked in as new condition for ever. But that would mean I wouldn't be able to use it, so that would never happen!

It's a great guitar with a great finish, and I love the thin satin nitro finish. But it's really starting to 'relic' in my ownership. It's gone from satin, to gloss, and now it's getting hints of going satin in high wear patches. There's dents and nicks starting to show everywhere, specially around the lower edge and unfortunately a few on the top. It picks up a dent just by looking at it! I don't mind too much, it's got character. But you know sometimes, I look at how nice it is and I feel a pang that it would be nice if it looked in as new condition for ever. But that would mean I wouldn't be able to use it, so that would never happen!

I agree with you, they are made to be played.

I think I prefer the Poly - its a great hard finish that protects the guitar and wears incredibly well - my guitars could probably pass for new and will look fantastic for many many years. they also feel great and sound amazing too.

I have just bought a new PRS with the Nitro finish and 'almost' worried about playing it. Having seen pictures of that top layer of nitro wearing off after a relatively short while - something that also looks bad, I am concerned that will happen to mine. Of course the base coat could still offer the same protection and hard wearing but from the time the top coat starts to wear until its all worn off (or removed) I don't know if I will be as happy with the finish and look.

In truth though, its far too early for me to decide which (if any) I prefer. I have many more years of playing the Poly finish PRS guitars than I do the new Nitro finish and my concerns about wear and ageing may be somewhat unfounded over time so I will have to see. A thin, very hard coating of Poly has been proven to look after guitars and wear very well - much better than Nitro traditionally and I don't like 'relic' guitars either which may also be influencing my opinion but we will see if my opinion changes over time...

Back