DGT with low E string falling off the fingerboard

Random Gecko

I included some pictures in this initially but as the store has decided to re-sell the guitar, I've decided to take them down and edit the post.

Basically the low E was falling off due to a re-cut nut, but I got a refund, got the guitar I wanted elsewhere and all is good!

Last edited:
If you’re not happy, the shop should take it back.

Reactions: jxe
Nut slot spacing seems off a bit, unless it's just an illusion of the angle of the picture.

Is the low e string farther away from the edge of the fretboard, down towards the body?

If it's used the nut could have been replaced with the wrong one ? or if new the wrong nut put on my accident.
Believe the DGT should use the nut from a Pattern Regular ( 1/32 narrower ) than the Pattern

if you bought it new, either return it if you don't like how it plays, or better yet, send it to Shawn (PRS tech center) to have a look at it. I had a similar issue with my CE24. I reached out to the PTC and Shawn suggested I send it in to be evaluated. I shipped the guitar to them and they ended up setting the guitar for me, replaced the nut, and re-set the bridge and it's perfect now. ...I had to part with the guitar for a few weeks but it was worth it!

It looks like someone widened the nut slots, you typically don't see this from PRS. Maybe the dealer did. I think installing a new PRS would likely solve the issue. Depends on if you've bonded with the guitar and what the dealer is willing to do.

I dunno, I just looked a 6 guitars hanging on my wall, they all look like this. Couple that with Shawn's explanation of the DGT frets being a different angle and I think you've got a normal guitar.

If that was the case, the high e would also look close to the edge, but it looks like it has more clearance. And the OP pointed out that the low e is farther away from the edge of the fretboard towards the body, so it's only close to the edge at the nut end.

DGT frets are approved at a greater angle than other PRS frets, so the strings appears (and feels) closer to the edge of the fretboard than other PRS models.

Definitely noticed that but this one was so close that it was nearly impossible to play between the nut and 9th fret without pushing the string off, and changing my technique to come up and over the string.

It looks like someone widened the nut slots, you typically don't see this from PRS. Maybe the dealer did. I think installing a new PRS would likely solve the issue. Depends on if you've bonded with the guitar and what the dealer is willing to do.

Yes it does! Hadn't noticed that. I took it back and got a refund, went to another store and bought a brand new 2018 and just compared the nut to this pic. Definitely wider in the pics above. Very odd.

I think I would be pushing that E off with quick changes from low to high frets!

Is it ok at the bridge end?

You would've yeah. Yeah bridge end was fine. Looking down the headstock you could see the angle going out toward the edge as the string got up to the nut.

I dunno, I just looked a 6 guitars hanging on my wall, they all look like this. Couple that with Shawn's explanation of the DGT frets being a different angle and I think you've got a normal guitar.

I took it back and the dealer didn't seem to think so. That said, it's back up for sale on the site at the same price, so maybe he was being nice... But he was pretty quick to refund me. Hadn't used them before, doubt I will again.

If that was the case, the high e would also look close to the edge, but it looks like it has more clearance. And the OP pointed out that the low e is farther away from the edge of the fretboard towards the body, so it's only close to the edge at the nut end.

Yup. Exactly.

Last edited:
Just to follow up on this, I ended up going back this later and getting a refund. Went and tried two 2018s in two different stores and came home with the second one. First one was a little lighter - about 7.5lbs - and for some reason had been set up with 3 springs and with 10s, and they didn't seem to be able to locate the springs... Yeah I walked out. Second place, guitar was immaculate, just under 8lbs, and is a total keeper. 2018 Goldtop with binding. What a great guitar.

FWIW, the original one above was about 8.5lbs. Played about 8 DGTs in all today, and could've bought any of them to be honest. Just went with the Goldtop which spoke to me the most!

Last edited:
Glad you are satisfied, sounds awesome! Congrats. Got any pics? :)

Congrats on grabbing another DGT. Only had mine a week and I think I want another, gold top/moons would be the perfect partner to the flame top/birds of the one I have.

My SantanaIII and CE24 aren’t too happy about the newcomer arriving though ha ha.

Just to follow up on this, I ended up going back this later and getting a refund. Went and tried two 2018s in two different stores and came home with the second one. First one was a little lighter - about 7.5lbs - and for some reason had been set up with 3 springs and with 10s, and they didn't seem to be able to locate the springs... Yeah I walked out. Second place, guitar was immaculate, just under 8lbs, and is a total keeper. 2018 Goldtop with binding. What a great guitar.

FWIW, the original one above was about 8.5lbs. Played about 8 DGTs in all today, and could've bought any of them to be honest. Just went with the Goldtop which spoke to me the most!

Awesome! Glad you were able to rectify, and come home with a keeper!

Glad you got what you wanted in the end.

Where the heck do you live that there are that many DGTs in local stores to try out? I don't think there is a single DGT within 100 miles of me...

Glad you got what you wanted in the end.

Where the heck do you live that there are that many DGTs in local stores to try out? I don't think there is a single DGT within 100 miles of me...

What shinksma said! (FWIW, the low E on my DGT is a good deal farther inboard than the one on the guitar you returned.)

Back