Design Your Own Signature Guitar!

drdoom8793

THAT guy at Chick-fil-A
If PRS approached you to design a signature guitar exactly to your specs, what would you pick?

I would go for a Swamp Ash Studio, but with Starla and D-type single coils from the S2 Studio model. Flame maple top, ash body, bolt-on maple neck, rosewood fretboard. Hollow birds. My sugar skull logo etched on the neck mounting play, Doom on the TRC. Clear/Black Lampshade knobs. Comes in Blue Matteo, Eriza Verde, and Bonnie Pink, natural back on all.

Let's get creative, ya'll!

Last edited:
HAHAHA, this is why I have a hard time spec'ing a PS....between gigs and studio work, not one thing really works where I could have a signature model. However, lately I seem pretty fixated on THIS concept:

The "Twanger" model. This would be based on the S2 Standard 22. I would want the mahogany body, with the bevels. Those are SOOOO comfortable. The neck, however, I think I would go maple with a DARK rosewood fretboard. I'd have no inlays, except for a pearl bird at the 12th fret. Colors would be Lake Placid Blue or Candy Apple Red. For the pickguard, I'd go mint green. Electronics would be three D-Types, with a 5-way, vol/tone. The tone would push/pull - in one push/pull position, middle on the switch is neck/bridge, and in the other you get middle alone. I'd go standard hardware.

Mine would probably be a combination of the Tremonti and the Chris Robertson. Basically the Chris Robertson with a pattern thin neck and 25" scale with a maple fret board.

Here's something I think would be cool:
- Black Gold Quilt wrap - but with wide reveal binding
- Flame maple neck
- Ebony board with outline birds
- Narrowfield neck pickup
- 85/15 MT bridge pickup
- Holcomb hardtail-thru bridge
- Hybrid hardware
- 24-08 switching
- Black pickup rings and switch tip
- Black nickel mini-toggles

I would need a prototype to be sure, but I think:

McCarty platform
Wide fat neck with extra shoulder, more of a D shape than a C
Maple neck and fretboard
regular PRS frets
Gen 3 locking tuners
Holcomb USA bridge or maybe a Mann Fatback
DGT bridge pickup, P-90 neck pickup (probably a noiseless Fralin)
One vol, one tone with coil split for bridge, 3 way switch
Mahogany back with a top that looks like this, only satin: (or satin black top over natural back)

psf157-1000-21-jpg.6410

Singlecut slab body and 25” scale pattern neck in white korina, some variant on a Livingston Lemondrop finish, Brazilian rosewood fretboard with moons, those nifty Silver Sky tuning heads, gold foil Annapolis-era headstock signature, tortoiseshell scratchplate, Paul’s Guitar treble pickup and one-piece wraparound bridge, volume, tone.

i’d want something with a reverse body and a bolt-on neck with huge steel frets. i like the prs trem bridge ok, and i’d use the 513 pickup scheme but with chrome squabbins and no tone knob, and a piezo embedded in the neck like frank zappa. paul can choose the wood as long as the fretboard isn’t maple.

only comes in white sparkleburst, appliance avocado, and kitchen bisque. also need one in american flag ala buck owens (for the superbowl show), one with my name inlaid up the fretboard ala ernest tubb (for the opry), and one in yellow/pink jem livery (steve vai’s 60th).

also need a 12-string version with a floyd rose for a single song.

My dream signature guitar

Double neck 12/6

24 fret 25" scale both necks mahogany painted light pink with Luminlay dots on fretboard side

body: mahogany (chambered if possible) painted Light pink

Highly figured quilted maple top (or maple burl) Bonnie pink

head-stocks: no veneer painted light pink like body with Opal Eagle inlays, Phase III tuners gold plated, truss rod covers to match light pink

Fret board: Ebony fingerboard with Opal Birds and Luminlay dots on side
Gold plated hardware 1-piece 12 string adjustable bridge stop-tail, 6 string 1-piece adjustable bridge stop-tail
Piezo in both bridges

Pickups: 12-string 59/09 bridge/Neck not covered with gold slugs and gold adjustable posts
6-string Santana Treble (ceramic) Bridge, 59/09 Neck both with gold slugs and gold adjustable posts
408 wiring for both 12/6 and controls for electric
Piezo controls 12 and 6

Toggle switch three position guitar selection 12 - 12/6 - 6

Think that should cover it..... now I need to hit the lottery !!!!

What a coincidence! I got a call from PRS just yesterday evening!

“Les, this is Paul.”

“Hey Paul, what’s up?”

“You know how you always say you want your own signature model PRS?”

“Yes...”

“It’s gonna be named the Paul Les. I’m hoping to break the internet twice in one year!””

Last one, I promise (not)

Last edited:
Back