Design Your Own Signature Guitar!

Yeah amazing isn’t it. It was also used as ball bearings in heavy machinery, including in the marine industry, because it performs as admirably as metal bearings. Can you believe that?
Wow! Imagine a neck made of LV and SS frets, you’d never have to worry on a bar fight!;)

305 semi hollow body with 408 pickup in the neck position.5 way blade, alder body, rosewood neck, birds that glow in the dark so you know where you are at. For color it is your favorite. For me I think it would be cool to have a mystic color like Ford did with the Mustang. Depending on the light and angle it changes color

Probably close to an older quilted cu22 with 3 soapies...that damned gorgeous Northern Lights finish...but, hey...maybe a SC to make it "my own"!

It will be known sympathetically as “Slipped Disc”;)

Wee story from a luthier friend, whose Dad taught him woodworking. As a young lad, he watched his Dad cutting Lignum Vitae, this stuff was that hard there were sparks flying. No wonder it was used for Police truncheons!

Good old LV. Grows in the Bahamas. Considered to be the heaviest of woods at about 80 lbs per square foot. Will sink in water. I have an alligator carving. Heavy stuff!

That must have taken some carving!

I traded a man in Nassau a watch for it. His last name was Edwards which ironically was the name on the watch. My grandfather’s last name was Edwards and he owned a jewelry store called....wait for it....Edwards. I guess I should name the alligator “Edward.” After all, his name is carved on the bottom.

And, I bet it was tough to carve. It’s about 18” long, btw.

25.5" scale 7-string singlecut hollowbody (maybe with a larger bout like the SC-J) with Benedetto B-7 pickup in the neck and a JB in the bridge with 408 style electronics. Satin maple neck and fretboard with brushstroke (or some other highly stylized version of the birds) -- not sure if they'd be high contrast (black, or eggplant or kalamata olive blurple-black) or relatively low contrast (pink/magenta/fuchsia/salmon/lavender/MOP). Floating bridge with ebony tailpiece.

EDIT: Might go even longer with 26.22" scale (666mm), but I have to try that long a scale first. (I have a PRS 26.5" scale coming.) Might tune that one slightly differently (A-D). But that might be a limited "baritone" run.

Last edited:
classy pick.

25.5" scale 7-string singlecut hollowbody (maybe with a larger bout like the SC-J) with Benedetto B-7 pickup in the neck and a JB in the bridge with 408 style electronics. Satin maple neck and fretboard with brushstroke (or some other highly stylized version of the birds) -- not sure if they'd be high contrast (black, or eggplant or kalamata olive blurple-black) or relatively low contrast (pink/magenta/fuchsia/salmon/lavender). Floating bridge with ebony tailpiece.

Les you’re re-thinking your signature model now aren’t you?!;)

I can’t come up with a single thing I’d want that PRS isn’t making or hasn’t already made.

I keep sayin, “What if I....” and then I say, “Nah. I don’t have a clue what that’d sound like.”

I’m good with Paul designing the guitars; my only interest is in playing them. On a good day, I can decide on a color, but only if my choices are intentionally limited.

Example: Would I have picked the pickups, wood thicknesses, and scale length PRS used on that PS20Ltd? No, I’d never have thought of that. Yet it’s probably the coolest guitar I own. I wouldn’t have picked the Northern Lights color, either, but there weren’t a lot of color choices on that guitar. Madagascar Rosewood? I didn’t even know that existed before the McCarty Singlecut.

Speaking of which, would I have ordered Extinct Elephant Mammoth Ivory for the inlays on the McSC? Hell no. It looks like plastic. If I told folks it was Mammoth ivory, they might say, “Cool,” which, with $4, would buy me a Starbucks. But I don’t tell civilians, just PRS folks, so they can say, “Cool.” and then with $4 I can get that coffee.

I can’t come up with a single thing I’d want that PRS isn’t making or hasn’t already made.

I keep sayin, “What if I....” and then I say, “Nah. I don’t have a clue what that’d sound like.”

I’m good with Paul designing the guitars; my only interest is in playing them. On a good day, I can decide on a color, but only if my choices are intentionally limited.

Example: Would I have picked the pickups, wood thicknesses, and scale length PRS used on that PS20Ltd? No, I’d never have thought of that. Yet it’s probably the coolest guitar I own. I wouldn’t have picked the Northern Lights color, either, but there weren’t a lot of color choices on that guitar. Madagascar Rosewood? I didn’t even know that existed before the McCarty Singlecut.

Speaking of which, would I have ordered Extinct Elephant Mammoth Ivory for the inlays on the McSC? Hell no. It looks like plastic. If I told folks it was Mammoth ivory, they might say, “Cool,” which, with $4, would buy me a Starbucks. But I don’t tell civilians, just PRS folks, so they can say, “Cool.” and then with $4 I can get that coffee.
"Cool Les. Very Cool".!!!

It's too bad we don't have an app to illustrate our dream signature PRS guitars...

...like the Flash app that Gibson had for the Les Paul around a decade ago ...anyone remember that? :D

I'll play! Base guitar is the old PRS Hiland with the following tweaks:

- 58/15 Pickups (LT for the bass)
- Brushstroke birds
- Santana knobs & switch location
- Paul's Guitar/"08" coil tap switches
- Clear knobs
- Glacier Blue & Lemongrass

That's it! \m/

If PRS approached you to design a signature guitar exactly to your specs, what would you pick?

I would go for a Swamp Ash Studio, but with Starla and D-type single coils from the S2 Studio model. Flame maple top, ash body, bolt-on maple neck, rosewood fretboard. Hollow birds. My sugar skull logo etched on the neck mounting play, Doom on the TRC. Clear/Black Lampshade knobs. Comes in Blue Matteo, Eriza Verde, and Bonnie Pink, natural back on all.

Let's get creative, ya'll!

Custom 22 soapy....satin flamed maple neck with rosewood board and birds...mahogany body with a maple cap...pattern regular neck...holloflake red and black finish...fixed bridge ala Vela and phase III tuners...set up with 11's and priced at 2K as I want it to sound better than I care how flashy it is...

Starla

Pattern reg neck

Maple top with the faded whale blue

Timber guard like they do on the PS models, something dark

Shell birds

This will turn the lot of you off but a single volume control, and dragon IIs

What has always been evident, is that PRS are constantly thinking of ways to improve. They also innovate and develop, to stay ahead of the competition and provide their customers with the best instrument they can.

Check out Phillip McKnights video and the chat with Jack Higginbottom -

About 1:35

Custom 24
Mahogany, with Flame or Quilt top
Adjustable Stoptail
Flame Maple neck Stained to match the Top
Ebony Board With Sparkle Mother of Pearl birds and Paua outlines
Vol, Tone, 3 way Blade no Push Pull
Smoked Chrome Hardware
59/09 bridge 58/15LT neck

Back