Design Your Own Signature Guitar!

I would love to just take my CU22 and move the controls around. The blade is too darn far away. I would have to prototype some to figure out which pickups I want for sure; to decide on maple neck or mahogany; and to decide whether or not I want a middle single coil.

It would be something like this, though:

Custom 22 w/Trem
Pattern Vintage neck with Ziricote fretboard (CITES friendly, yay!)
509 control layout or Paul's Guitar control layout
Pickups could be 85/15, 85/15 MT, or narrow 408
For a twist of my own style, moons but with a J bird at the twelfth fret

Here's something I think would be cool:
- Black Gold Quilt wrap - but with wide reveal binding
- Flame maple neck
- Ebony board with outline birds
- Narrowfield neck pickup
- 85/15 MT bridge pickup
- Holcomb hardtail-thru bridge
- Hybrid hardware
- 24-08 switching
- Black pickup rings and switch tip
- Black nickel mini-toggles
I forgot to add that it will also have scarf joints on the neck for extra strength. And to say F the corksniffers.

Custom (or Standard) 24 with:
One-piece top (if Custom)
Fatback option
Gold hardware with wraparound adjustable bridge
IRW neck and board with hollow birds in Paua
Pattern Vintage neck with no neck binding and bone nut
Dragon 1 pickups with 5-way rotary
Color TBD

“So, Les, I was only kidding about not making you a sig guitar. What would you like?”

“I have no idea, but let’s start with ancient Roman wood taken from the bogs at Vindolanda for some part of the guitar.”

“Why?”

“C’mon man, think of the backstory! Hadrian’s Wall Guitar! 2,000 year old wood!”

“Um...”

“Or maybe Cedar of Lebanon from Solomon’s Temple.”

“No one’s even seen...”

“Hey! I don’t mean to interrupt but let’s start digging! It’s gotta be down there somewhere! Also, let’s get some wood from the boats that were discovered buried in the sand near the Great Pyramid. 4500 years old! That’s so awesome! You’re saying yes, right?”

“OK, so much for the wood. Now let’s get to the important stuff. Inlays. I’m thinking Celtic knots, but from slices of solid gold Celtic Chieftain’s collars that ended in those knots, you know? Well, so what if we have to rob a museum? This is for a guitar, fergodsakes.”

“Bye, Les.”

[SFX phone line goes dead]

My signature will be called “Back Pain Limited”. “Guaranteed to take a back problem and make it worse”.

It will be made of the most exotic, hardest and heaviest woods known to man. It will also be the worst selling signature of all time, cos CITES permits will be impossible to get.

Pernambuco neck, Snakewood fingerboard, African Blackwood top, Quebracho (Axe Breaker) or Lignum Vitae back.

Ok let’s make it a hollowbody out of good sense.

“So, Les, I was only kidding about not making you a sig guitar. What would you like?”

“I have no idea, but let’s start with ancient Roman wood taken from the bogs at Vindolanda for some part of the guitar.”

“Why?”

“C’mon man, think of the backstory! Hadrian’s Wall Guitar! 2,000 year old wood!”

“Um...”

“Or maybe Cedar of Lebanon from Solomon’s Temple.”

“No one’s even seen...”

“Hey! I don’t mean to interrupt but let’s start digging! It’s gotta be down there somewhere! Also, let’s get some wood from the boats that were discovered buried in the sand near the Great Pyramid. 4500 years old! That’s so awesome! You’re saying yes, right?”

“OK, so much for the wood. Now let’s get to the important stuff. Inlays. I’m thinking Celtic knots, but from slices of solid gold Celtic Chieftain’s collars that ended in those knots, you know? Well, so what if we have to rob a museum? This is for a guitar, fergodsakes.”

“Bye, Les.”

[SFX phone line goes dead]
Hahaha! Good one! Sounds more like Indiana Jones signature guitar!

Single cut
22 fret
25" scale
One piece quilt top
Black Gold finish
Flamed maple neck with satin finish
Ebony fretboard
20th anniversary Mammoth ivory birds
Hybrid hardware
Piezo adjustable hardtail
Paul's guitar neck/bridge pups
2 volume, 2 tone. Both tone pots are push/push for split
3 way switch on top
Switch tip ebony
Ebony tuner buttons
Ebony vol/tone knobs with Mammoth ivory number inlays

I must be missing something...

Silver Sky with a flatter maple fretboard in Sergio Sapphire blue.

It’s a cash grab move. Y’all would buy the sh!t outta that.

I too, am all about the "cash grab moves", so mine would basically be the Silver Sky, but it would be called the "Throwin Shade" the PRS Scott Russell Signature Guitar.
Available in 3 colors...black black, blacker than black...black or black as f#@k...all with a solid black pickguard, antique white control and pickup covers, a maple bolt on neck with 10" radius and a maple fretboard with the smaller SS birds, but in black with a contrasting outline...and last but not least, brace yourselves...it's....wait for it...it's available in both SE AND S-Core models! BOOOOOM!

That's right, BOTH the Scott Ruseell SE,
(Scott Russell STFU~EDITION)..and the Scott Russell S-CORE...get it? the (Scott Russell S-Core) (SCORE or as in Scott starts with and S and it's a core and cause I'm awesome!) I would buy the sh!it of me...I mean my signiture guitar!

You guys can stop pretending to have your own signiture PRS now....I just made this thread my b!tch...Mr. Smith if you're reading this...I'll have my people call your peolpe and discuss how to spend all of this extra money from the record breaking sales numbers the Paul Reed Smith "Scott Russell Throwin Shade Signature guitar" is gonna bring in...good times...;)

The time is now 4:38 a.m.

Last edited:
My signature will be called “Back Pain Limited”. “Guaranteed to take a back problem and make it worse”.

It will be made of the most exotic, hardest and heaviest woods known to man. It will also be the worst selling signature of all time, cos CITES permits will be impossible to get.

Pernambuco neck, Snakewood fingerboard, African Blackwood top, Quebracho (Axe Breaker) or Lignum Vitae back.

Ok let’s make it a hollowbody out of good sense.

It will be known sympathetically as “Slipped Disc”;)

Wee story from a luthier friend, whose Dad taught him woodworking. As a young lad, he watched his Dad cutting Lignum Vitae, this stuff was that hard there were sparks flying. No wonder it was used for Police truncheons!

I too, am all about the "cash grab moves", so mine would basically be the Silver Sky, but it would be called the "Throwin Shade" the PRS Scott Russell Signature Guitar.
Available in 3 colors...black black, blacker than black...black or black as f#@k...all with a solid black pickguard, antique white control and pickup covers, a maple bolt on neck with 10" radius and a maple fretboard with the smaller SS birds, but in black with a contrasting outline...and last but not least, brace yourselves...it's....wait for it...it's available in both SE AND S-Core models! BOOOOOM!

That's right, BOTH the Scott Ruseell SE,
(Scott Russell STFU~EDITION)..and the Scott Russell S-CORE...get it? the (Scott Russell S-Core) (SCORE or as in Scott starts with and S and it's a core and cause I'm awesome!) I would buy the sh!it of me...I mean my signiture guitar!

You guys can stop pretending to have your own signiture PRS now....I just made this thread my b!tch...Mr. Smith if you're reading this...I'll have my people call your peolpe and discuss how to spend all of this extra money from the record breaking sales numbers the Paul Reed Smith "Scott Russell Throwin Shade Signature guitar" is gonna bring in...good times...;)

The time is now 4:38 a.m.

Mine is better b!tch! :p

It will be known sympathetically as “Slipped Disc”;)

Wee story from a luthier friend, whose Dad taught him woodworking. As a young lad, he watched his Dad cutting Lignum Vitae, this stuff was that hard there were sparks flying. No wonder it was used for Police truncheons!
Yeah amazing isn’t it. It was also used as ball bearings in heavy machinery, including in the marine industry, because it performs as admirably as metal bearings. Can you believe that?

Back