De-Acquisition Mode - I'm Hearing That A Lot Lately.

I certainly agree with your conclusion. And being a full time musician isn’t something I’d recommend to anyone with other priorities.

Yeah, I always (even when I was 16 and just starting down this road) thought that to "make it" you had to prioritize your career above everything else, to their (likely) detriment. I always thought of the phrase "you leave alot of wreckage behind you", lots of successful people have multiple marriages with kids from each (seems to be quite common in the arts for some reason, it's common everywhere, but ESPECIALLY in the arts), and I never wanted to be that person, being raised in a stable household with parents who stayed married until death. I guess I thought "I'll make it and have the money to keep a stable family too", but my crossroads appeared before I was anywhere near that.

BTW, sorry if a few of us have hijacked the thread a bit, but it's really been a cathartic discussion, guys.

I know this may sound crazy to some, but does anyone besides me long for a day when I plug my ONE guitar into my ONE amp with nothing in-between them but a cords, and JUST PLAY??

I’ve often thought about how I used to gig owning an SG and one amp, one mic, and enough cables to connect them to their respective amplification methods. I did just fine. Somehow, that transmuted to a guitar and amp for every style, a ton of pedals and mics, and various other “necessary” pieces of gear ranging from a Variac (“needed” for Ed-tone chasing) to the Ox Box I use to tame the paint-peelers I “needed” for the various “needed” style guitars. Add in mics for performing and others for recording, an entire PA, multiple mix desks, a thousand cords amassed over the years, stacks of ATA cases, yada yada yada.

The funny thing is that, with the popularity of all the music I grew up listening to being so big with current audiences, I am using all this fancy gear to play the same songs I was playing back in the one guitar/amp/mic days. It’s really kind of humorous.

I did make sure my wife knows how to contact CME and send an equipment list. That’ll address clearing out guitars and amps, at the least. :)

Last edited:
I'm in that mode. Retirement is on the horizon, in about 12-18 months, I'm going to sell the big house (where my big music room is located in the basement). We already have our retirement home (in an undisclosed location), but it's only a 3 BR, 2 BA with no basement. Sooo... No place for a dedicated music room...

I'll probably wind up keeping 8-10 guitars and 3 amps, but the rest have to go... No place to keep them

Only the best of the best will remain...

Sounds like you need a “man shed”

This is the plan. 5 years in come January… so far, so good!

I don’t really know how I got anything done when I was working… I gained back that 50-60 hours a week and still run out of time to get everything in. Boredom is not on my radar at all.

Haha, I tell my work colleagues this regularly. I can fill a day with stuff and still want/need to do more than I can fit in it. Retirement is gonna be a ball.

It cost me thousands of dollars to throw away all my mom’s crap when she died (5-6 dumpsters worth) so I appreciate the thought of people wanting to de-clutter.

But music gear is easy(er) to get rid of and may actually be worth some cash (especially if you’re on this forum).

Get rid of all your other BS first. Nobody wants your furniture, nobody will buy your China or flatware, and FFS get your paperwork together.

I can relate to this. We’re currently going through a similar scenario with my mother-in-laws home (RIP). We could have done so much to make her life more comfortable in her last 18 months if she had just let us help.

I had to quit golf. I tried hard and hit a lot of balls every week and the best I ever made it to was to be a bogie golfer. I used to put so much pressure on myself when playing. I spent more time analyzing every shot and getting ticked at myself for not doing as well as I thought I could. I realized one day that I started the thinking process when I put the clubs in the car. It didn't stop until I came off the course mad most of the time. I finally decided I had to stop. It was constantly angering me. I have not had anything else in my life do that to me. I am an analytic at heart and that game pushed me into analyzing things in a bad way.

Terry Wogan (BBC TV/Radio Presenter) once said there were two sure fire ways to reduce your handicap. One was to slow your back swing right down and keep it there. The other was to cut 2 inches off your clubs so they would fit in the wheelie bin.

I’m in no hurry. It’ll happen soon enough.

You’re staying right here Mr!!

My DM story is that I’ve started by gifting a guitar to a friend. He doesn’t know yet, he thinks he’s paying me for it. Don’t worry it’s not a PRS.

Sounds like you need a “man shed”

Haha, I tell my work colleagues this regularly. I can fill a day with stuff and still want/need to do more than I can fit in it. Retirement is gonna be a ball.

I can relate to this. We’re currently going through a similar scenario with my mother-in-laws home (RIP). We could have done so much to make her life more comfortable in her last 18 months if she had just let us help.

Terry Wogan (BBC TV/Radio Presenter) once said there were two sure fire ways to reduce your handicap. One was to slow your back swing right down and keep it there. The other was to cut 2 inches off your clubs so they would fit in the wheelie bin.

You’re staying right here Mr!!

My DM story is that I’ve started by gifting a guitar to a friend. He doesn’t know yet, he thinks he’s paying me for it. Don’t worry it’s not a PRS.
Sorry to hear, buddy.

Sunday mornings seem like a vulnerable time for me. Last month I bought a like-new Seafoam Mira. This morning, a cryptically-described guitar that I’m fairly certain is a 2009 Special 22.
It's usually Saturday Nights for me.
It's not alright for fighting but is fine for browsing the various marts while listening to music in my favourite chair.

I could be in some serious trouble now. I mentioned to my wife that I am starting to get the itch for a guitar that I have not owned one of. This would be the Studio. I blame John Mann for his post that started the itch. I haven't bought a new guitar in probably 3 years and the last PRS was probably around 5 years ago. I told her I can't even believe that I am thinking about this. I have been in a low spend mode, which is why I was not happy about the trailer purchase she made me make. She basically asked why I was telling her this. I said because it could be an expensive purchase that I had not really planned for. Her response was "you thought I would care? I don't care as long as the bills are paid." So I got permission to further the itch... I knew there was a good reason why I keep this woman around. :)

Back