Convincing the wife - How far is too far?

Dude I'd go Craigslist and find a nice used custom 24. Iv seen them for super cheap, and in very good condition. Sure a S2 is a good upgrade compared to a SE but a core is a huge step. And agree to meet at guitar center and play the thing, as long as your smart and have a good eye, there is no reason why you can't find a beautiful guitar for a great price. Every Prs I own I got off Craigslist! Cheers.

I would never have bothered with anything below the Core guitars. I wasn't even looking at/for PRS; I just happened to stumble on a great deal on that flame top 408. But having stumbled on it and then played it multiple times, I had to have it :)

Anyway, how I worked it with the wife is this: it is "her gift" to me for Anniversary, Birthday and Xmas all combined. She was fine with that - and is herself quite dazzled by the guitar.

I guess I'll have to weigh my options. I don't think I'd want to buy a brand new S2, but laying around $1k for a nice used one and then having the ability to upgrade to pretty much any pickups I wanted would be great. It would be very beneficial because I'd want a high output bridge pup (for metal stuff) but a very clean neck pup with great articulation. Not sure what I'd go with for the neck but possibly a Tremonti or maybe something from Bareknuckle for the bridge.

The other option would be just to stick the money back and wait it out, then pick up a core sometime in the next few months.

Idk.

Don't settle. Core models, to me, are the real things. There's a guy on another form who had six or more SE's. He finally got a core that could've been had years ago instead of getting the same thing multiple times.

Gotta say, this looks tempting:

PRS McCarty NF 25th Anniversary in Charcoal Burst, at a ridiculous price.
http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/181934168781

Those narrowfields though.... pretty limiting in play styles for me. I just bought a strat earlier in the year. Would be perfect if it had a standard 57/08 in the bridge.

Last edited:
You mean, like a Studio?

Woooooow. Nailed it.

Like I mentioned before, clear articulated bridge pickup for cleans, higher output bucker in the bridge. The 57/08 may not be the ideal rock/metal pup, but it could be easily replaced. Replacing a NF with a bucker though.... no.

Looking at the big picture, it is cheaper to just buy a brand new core line model than to buy an SE, then sell it, then buy a S2, then sell it, they buy a used core line model, then sell it because "yeah it was a great deal but the specs aren't perfect for what I need it to do" and then sell it too. Just buy the right guitar the first time with perfect specs and in the long run you will save a lot of money. Oh that I had known this concept $40,000.00 dollars and 30 years ago.

Save the bonus, be patient, add some birthday money, christmas money, and put aside $20 a week (or more if you can) from your paycheck.

By next year you could have a Core and be happy with no regrets.

I used a Betterment account to save weekly and had enough to get the Vela i wanted within 6 months.

It's all about PATIENCE.

Those narrowfields though.... pretty limiting in play styles for me. I just bought a strat earlier in the year. Would be perfect if it had a standard 57/08 in the bridge.

I'm starting to think you need to sit on that bonus until you figure out what you really, truly want and then go for whatever that may be.

I'm starting to think you need to sit on that bonus until you figure out what you really, truly want and then go for whatever that may be.

Truly, if money wasn't an object, I'd really want either a Tremonti or a Custom 22/24.

I'm gonna be working a ton of overtime over the next 6 weeks so maybe my wife will give me a little bit more wiggle room. If not, I may just hold off.

Try calling the wife from the HD dealership after buying a Heritage Classic.....after that, the guitars just don't seem to upset her as much lol.

Be patient and save up some additional cash in the event that you like the more expensive guitar than the others. Anything you choose in your short list will be a great buy. I would stay away from the trade up thing since many people but a guitar, play it for six months and expect to get their money back from the purchase. Usually will sit on that model for a while. At the end, if you but the mid-range guitar, you have some cash to buy the wife a bonus gift for the next guitar purchase......

Patience is a sublime virtue that will reward you many times over!

unfortunately I don't have it.... ;)

I have 2 core models, an S2 Vela and a SE singlecut. I play them all about the same amount. But I agree I would wait and buy a new core model. My wife has 4 horses and I never have an issue when it's time to get a new guitar. I think she realizes that the guitars don't need to be fed and never need a veterinarian.

Lol I hear that all the time, and even think to my self that is true. What a good concept.
But as soon as I spot somthing, I go into panic mode and then how food is not important, can't sleep, convince my self and others i don't have a problem.
And last... Well you get the picture.

Curious what you mean by "pretty limiting in play styles" means. My NF3 absolutely KILLS through my Mesa Mark V25. One of my guitar buddies and I have been going back and forth for months about how great our V25s were. He came over last weekend and I had the NF3 plugged into it and he was just drooling... "I've never heard my V25 sound that good, It's great but I've never heard it sound that good." He was asking about speakers, and if I've been rolling tubes, etc. Stock Mesa cab, original tubes. Then he plugged in his Ibanez with upgraded Dimarzios and said.... "that's what it sounds like at home!" It was the guitar. Sparkly clean, gritty, crunching, or screaming, the NF3 just sounds fantastic. He couldn't believe the difference. He was similarly blown away by my C24 w/ 59/09s, and especially my 25th Ann. Custom 22 Semi Hollow LTD with 57/08s, but as great as they look and sound, he asked me three days later "what was that plain white PRS again?"

NF3 baby! I LOVE the NFs. And I play a lot with all ranges of gain. In fact, I had a clear revelation while here was here. We plugged in my EBMM JP12 BRF as well. That is a KILLER guitar. But we both agreed that tonally, all three PRS guitars sounded clearly better. Maybe that beast needs some PRS M pickups. :top:

Back