Convincing the wife - How far is too far?

Reactorcritical

So a few weeks back, I'm told that I'll be getting a bonus at work. My first thought was "new guitar" (no brainer).

I've been wanting a Tremonti SE Custom for a while (sold off an old Tremonti SE and a SE Singlecut last year due to boomy pups and didn't want to spend the $$$ to replace them). Anyway, I miss them and would like another PRS singlecut of some sort. Also looked at the Zach Myers. The wife said this would be perfectly fine.

That's when I strayed off on the S2 path. American made PRS guitars (minus the hardware) for not much more than an SE, not bad. Found a few blue crab smoke burst singlecuts that I'm really GAS'ing for bad (sad that they discontinued that finish).

As I continued to look, I realized that used core PRS guitars can be had for $1200 and up (of course, most are 90's or very early 2000 models, without birds, possibly even CE's).

The wife was fine with me picking up a used S2 for $1k. And if I couldn't find one I liked at that price, then I could buy a new S2 but I was encouraged to try to work them down at least a little.

Here's the problem, at $1400 for a new S2, you're practically breaking ground into the beautiful world of Core PRS guitars (that aren't older than today's legal smokers). Up'ing my budget by even a few hundred could grant me a 8-10 year old Custom 22/24 with a nice top, legit pickups, and all the joys that a true core PRS has to offer.

So.... do you buy the S2 that you'd be perfectly happy with or push the budget a tad bit further and go with a used core (knowing that you've already been granted a budget increase once already)?

Last edited:
I'd buy the S2 and avoid any discussion. Buy a core when you can do it (almost) without having to worry about it. Plus, even if you buy an old core, you would have desired a better/newer core anyway, so it's never ending.

Buy something that retains its value and that would be good trade-bait for a future upgrade. A used core Mira, Stella, CE, etc. can be very reasonable. Then, if in 6 months a great opportunity came up, throwing another $300-$400 into a trade may not seem unreasonable. Chip away at the task, don't chop. In another 6 months, throw in another $300 and you're closer to your goal.

Grab a used S2 and a nice pedal or some different pickups if you don't like the stock ones. You won't be disappointed with the S2's!

Buy the best you can afford at the time. Trade up when more funds become available.

This is good counsel but...

It can be rather hard to "trade up". When you are past the $1K level, most want to trade at or above their level (they don't want 2 MIM Strats and a line 6 amp, for example). And, trades + cash are less than half of the trades that are out there so you start to get limited in what you can trade for.

My recommendation is definitely to buy the best you can afford. You will be happier than settling. But if the difference between "the best" now and "the best" 3 months from now is also the difference between a great used core and a new S2, it is worth the wait. However, if the guitar you want is really in the S2 line, then buying the best you can (for you) is the S2 anyway so go for it!

In other words, since the models are quite different, find the one that is the best match for you, and if it is in the budget now, you are good to go. If it is outside the budget by a few months, wait and save. In the long run, it is better than settling.

find the one that is the best match for you.
This is even better counsel!

I must admit I've never found an S2 that even compared to a core PRS, so I would never make that investment (but that's just me). The real truth is how it feels in your hands, how it sounds to your ears, and how inspired you are when you play it. Who knows, you might find you like S2's more than core PRS, or you may find it worth a little more time and $ to get a core model to love, but the bottom line is buy what's right for you.

This is even better counsel!

I must admit I've never found an S2 that even compared to a core PRS, so I would never make that investment (but that's just me). The real truth is how it feels in your hands, how it sounds to your ears, and how inspired you are when you play it. Who knows, you might find you like S2's more than core PRS, or you may find it worth a little more time and $ to get a core model to love, but the bottom line is buy what's right for you.

It's all about what feels right. I've played Cores, CE's, S2's, SE's, and even a Private Stock once. I was looking at the CE/S2/used Core price range and ended up going for an S2 Cu24 because it was the second best feeling guitar I'd played (the best being a 30th anny 24 artist package that was out of my price range). Find someplace where you can sit down and play some different models and see what fits you. I've played SE's that IMO beat some S2's and Core models. But to the same token, you'd have to pry my S2 from my cold, dead hands. And when it comes to money, don't overextend yourself. No guitar/piece of gear is worth putting yourself in any sort of financial risk. If you find something you like that's a bit more expensive than you're (and you can get the wife's approval), see if there's a layaway option or something so you can save up the rest.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your eventual NGD post!

Last edited:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S2Std24TSS Have you checked out the new S2 Satins? even cheaper than 1300, man!

I love a good satin finish, but I don't really care for the styling of the Singlecut Standard. Otherwise I might would go that route.

Been keeping an eye on 4 S2 Singlecuts in blue crab smokeburst (2 used, 2 new). I'd probably go that route. Who knows when more will pop back up on the market?

It's all about what feels right. I've played Cores, CE's, S2's, SE's, and even a Private Stock once. I was looking at the CE/S2/used Core price range and ended up going for an S2 Cu24 because it was the second best feeling guitar I'd played (the best being a 30th anny 24 artist package that was out of my price range). Find someplace where you can sit down and play some different models and see what fits you. I've played SE's that IMO beat some S2's and Core models. But to the same token, you'd have to pry my S2 from my cold, dead hands. And when it comes to money, don't overextend yourself. No guitar/piece of gear is worth putting yourself in any sort of financial risk. If you find something you like that's a bit more expensive than you're (and you can get the wife's approval), see if there's a layaway option or something so you can save up the rest.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your eventual NGD post!

It's sad that playing PRSi is such a difficult thing to do in my city now. GC used to carry all kinds of PRSi (a variety of SE's and a few core models). Went to play a few last weekend and nothing.....

GC is too hung up on the quick buck (low range Ibanez, Jackson, Schecter, etc). Very few quality guitars unless they have "Fender" or "Gibson" on the headstock.

Last edited:
Used S2. The step up in quality is worth it. The only fault I find with the S2 Singlecut is the volume pots. And since it's used, someone else already took the resale price hit. Enjoy it, take care of it, and you won't lose much should you want to sell it later.

I figure I've gone too far when my wife shoots me.

So far, that hasn't happened. I even have Private Stocks and have survived to tell the tale!

It's sad that playing PRSi is such a difficult thing to do in my city now (Chattanooga). GC used to carry all kinds of PRSi (a variety of SE's and a few core models). Went to play a few last weekend and nothing.....

GC is too hung up on the quick buck (low range Ibanez, Jackson, Schecter, etc). Very few quality guitars unless they have "Fender" or "Gibson" on the headstock.

I definitely understand. It's the same way here in Charlotte. I had to drive an hour and a half to try out some PRS before I settled on mine. You might check the PRS dealer site to see if there might be some dealers around Knoxville, Nashville, or even Atlanta. You just take a drive and make a day of it!

Edit:
Dealers page: http://www.prsguitars.com/dealers/index.php

Try them all, buy the best you can afford, but don't hesitate on the S2s. I've owned probably a dozen core PRS and 2 S2s. The S2s are VERY close to the Cores in my opinion, in terms of quality, fit, finish and tone. I now own only a single S2 Cu22 Semi-hollow...it ticks all the boxes for me, and as others have said, it's the one that "felt right." Good luck in your search.

All of mine are new instruments (check sig), although I did once buy a '12 CU22 semi on eBay. I didn't bond with it for whatever reason. I am getting pretty serious about considering an S2 Satin. Brand new and for the amount of money, no way to go wrong. And the singlecut model in McCarty Tobacco Burst would even do it for me because of the stoptail, even though I prefer the double-cuts, I would make an exception here.

Good luck with your ultimate decision. I would second (and third) the recommendation to grab the one that "feels right".

Oh, yes. In my neck of the woods, Greenville, SC has Eastside Guitars. Their website doesn't show any goodies, but the store has a great selection of PRSi, plus that's where I got my Blackstars. Terry is great to deal with. It's a few hours to drive from you, but they have a better selection by far than our GC.

Last edited:
I figure I've gone too far when my wife shoots me.

So far, that hasn't happened. I even have Private Stocks and have survived to tell the tale!

Amen. My wife hasn't tried to shoot me yet...but she MAY be slowly trying to poison me. This may be my last entry...

To the OP: you are indeed seeking advice from a horde of friendly pushers / enablers, but the general advice here is sound. Get the best you can afford that speaks to you. It's find to think about upgrading someday, but don't settle on something you don't love either. I've peed away alot of money over the years on those kinds of mistakes. You can sink alot into upgrades, and most of the time w.r.t. resale value, you will NEVER see the ROI on those upgrades. So unless you plan to get into the "upgrade machine" because you love to tinker (and if you do, that's awesome), then go as big as you can. Discuss it with the woman.

And...if she doesn't understand...well, you can always wait for her to shoot you.

Last edited:
Back