Confessions of An Ampaholic

I’ve spent the last few weeks improving my studio acoustics a little, and getting new mixes ready for my electronic music project, so haven’t spent much time with my guitars and amps.

That’ll change today; I miss those tones! It’ll be interesting to see how the amps sound with the modified acoustical treatment as well.

I will admit that I GAS over guitars pretty badly, but the truth is I'm a bit more obsessed with amps.

I love the contribution a great amp makes to guitar tone, and I really, really hate listening to a bad sounding amp. I like the way an amp looks so cool just sitting in a room, waiting to be played through.

I think about tubes and cables, and amp stands, and basically, everything that has anything to do with amplifiers.

I don't spend any time looking up guitars on the web. If I happen upon a guitar and it's interesting, great, I'll look at it, but I spend a lot of time looking at amps, amp gizmos, tubes, and other amp-related junk.

I sometimes wonder how the other folks at the old folks' home will relate to me rolling in with my amps and guitars if I'm lucky enough to overstay my welcome on the planet.

Well, maybe they won't be able to hear them?

I'd say that for me, I GAS over guitars amps and pedals pretty much equally.

That said, I'm also a big big fan of amps.

With guitars, there's really only PRS, and older, Uber expensive Gibsons. I guess some of the ESP/LTDs are cool, and I would love to have a few Wylde Audio guitars but, they're just not right for me.
I want a Satriani signature, too. The neck on those is outstanding

I digress
The point I want to make is that you have far more choices for above standard amplifiers. In no particular order (as the come to mind), the truly great amp brands are

Mesa/Boogie
PRS
Marshall
Diezel
Bogner
Randall
Krank
H&K
Vox

I've even been impressed with some of the bedroom and budget friendly amps coming from VHT of all brands. Still not a company worth a second look by any mediocre guitarist but, for what they are, they're really quite impressive. You could record your ideas for song demos with a VHT.

BOSS even makes amps now that are apparently a very nice choice for mid level players.

I firmly believe the amp is the most important part of getting your sound. A cheap guitar with a moderately good amp will sound better than the best guitar through junk.

I say the overall tone is around 80% amp. Guitars and pickups certainly have a noticeable affect on your tone but, not as much as the amp

Overall, I'm with you. I would love to have a variety of amp choices

The point I want to make is that you have far more choices for above standard amplifiers. In no particular order (as the come to mind), the truly great amp brands are

Mesa/Boogie
PRS
Marshall
Diezel
Bogner
Randall
Krank
H&K
Vox

To those excellent great amp brands, I’d add a few:

Two-Rock (Have had several, and they’re phenomenal)
Komet (Real-deal Trainwrecks, designed by Ken Fischer before he passed away, with even better build quality)
Dr. Z
Matchless (C’mon, these are already classics)
Bad Cat (see Matchless, above)
Morgan
Suhr
Metropoulos (Phenomenal 60s Marshall clones only better)
Audio Kitchen (Used by famed producer Flood in the studio)
Reeves
JMI (period-correct, accurate AC30 and AC15 ‘60s clones)
Magnatone
Rivera
Friedman
Carr
Tone King
Roccaforte made a very, very fine amp, I don’t know if he’s still building them; Doug’s a friend
And of course, lots of others, but these are the ones I’ve played through and can vouch for.

And lest we forget, every once in a while Fender shows what they can do with a hand wired amp of very high quality, like the Vibro-King, Bonamassa’s model, and the EC amps.

Last edited:
To those excellent great amp brands, I’d add a few:

Two-Rock (Have had several, and they’re phenomenal)
Komet (Real-deal Trainwrecks, designed by Ken Fischer before he passed away, with even better build quality)
Dr. Z
Matchless (C’mon, these are already classics)
Bad Cat (see Matchless, above)
Morgan
Suhr
Metropoulos (Phenomenal 60s Marshall clones only better)
Audio Kitchen (Used by famed producer Flood in the studio)
Reeves
JMI (period-correct, accurate AC30 and AC15 ‘60s clones)
Magnatone
Rivera
Friedman
Carr
Tone King
Roccaforte made a very, very fine amp, I don’t know if he’s still building them; Doug’s a friend
And of course, lots of others, but these are the ones I’ve played through and can vouch for.

And lest we forget, every once in a while Fender shows what they can do with a hand wired amp of very high quality, like the Vibro-King, Bonamassa’s model, and the EC amps.

I don't have any knowledge of any of those brands.

And I absolutely loathe despise and detest F3nd3r. The only thing they're good for is surf music and firewood

And I absolutely loathe despise and detest F3nd3r. The only thing they're good for is surf music and firewood

I’d have thought from your handle you liked Tremonti’s tone. Until the Archon came out he recorded and toured with a ‘65 Twin reissue for his clean tone.

I doubt he plays much surf music.

Last edited:
I love my mesa 5 50 express plus for clean tones but for blues rock/hard rock the Peavey valve king 100 w with marshall 212 cab flat out rocks. I know Peavy gets a bad rap sometimes but that head really puts out some great tones

I don't have any knowledge of any of those brands.

Les listed some great amps. Personally, I gigged and recorded with Rivera amps for 25 years. Currently I am using Bad Cats. Get out there and check out some stuff. Find a boutique shop and jam some amps. Looks and see if anyone in your area hosts "tone parties" where you can try killer amps.

As far as Fender. Hmmmm, almost (note the use of the term almost) every amp is a modification of some Fender circuit. Marshall and the Mesa Mark series to name two HUGE companies that have notable designs based off Fender circuits. One of the great things about Fender amps is that once you find the one for you, it will do what you want it to do. For me, it's the blackface Bassman (64-66) or the blackface Tremolux. I still have a 63 Tremoulx that doesn't see much play time because it needs work. Nothing difficult, I just have other amps. Those amps were there at the beginning and a ton of awesome music was created/invented using those amplifiers with a myriad of effects.

Shoot, not drop names, but there is a VERY well know international death metal guitarist that lives here in Tampa. He records ALL his band's albums using a Twin Reverb and two OD pedals. He even runs the tremolo and reverb as part of the sound.

If you want to know of some killer modern Fenders, so look for the Tonemaster, Prosonic, Super Sonic series (the 100 is AWESOME). Shoot, the newest Bassbreaker is a MONSTER of an amp for clean and dirt.

I’d have thought from your handle you liked Tremonti’s tone. Until the Archom came out he recorded and toured with a ‘65 Twin reissue for his clean tone.

I doubt he plays much surf music.

I don't mind his studio cleans but, I don't try to emulate them.

It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock N Roll) Malcom Young. That's what a clean guitar should sound like

Also, pretty sure Mark has said they're 65 Twin Reverb amps which I believe is not the same as a 65 Twin Reissue

Also, pretty sure Mark has said they're 65 Twin Reverb amps which I believe is not the same as a 65 Twin Reissue

I read an interview a few years back out of curiosity, where he said not only are they reissues, he’s never even played through an original ‘65.

I’ve played through a lot of ‘65s. My bandmates in college had them. I used a ‘67 blackface Bassman head for a number of years as well.

I like Fender style amps, even though I don’t own one any more. My Mesa Lone Star is close enough, and I have a Mesa Fillmore (based on a Tweed, I think) coming.

As for Fender, they’ve been good to my son, and given him nice tour support, and he’s been in one of their ads. He really likes having a relationship with Fender. That makes me pretty happy, too.

Here’s the ad; the pic was taken at the band’s studio. Dad brag, forgive me.

DUYi2k2.jpg

Fave amps of all time are still the PRS HXDA and DG30. I don’t know what Doug Sewell puts in the sauce, but it’s certainly the good stuff! ;)

Last edited:
I read an interview a few years back out of curiosity, where he said not only are they reissues, he’s never even played through an original ‘65.

I’ve played through a lot of ‘65s. My bandmates in college had them. I used a ‘67 blackface Bassman head for a number of years as well.

I like Fender style amps, even though I don’t own one any more. My Mesa Lone Star is close enough, and I have a Mesa Fillmore (based on a Tweed, I think) coming.

As for Fender, they’ve been good to my son, and given him nice tour support, and he’s been in one of their ads. He really likes having a relationship with Fender. That makes me pretty happy, too.

DUYi2k2.jpg

Fave amps of all time are still the PRS HXDA and DG30. I don’t know what Doug Sewell puts in the sauce, but it’s certainly the good stuff! ;)

Cool ad!!

Mesa Fillmore?!?! Hmmm, you need to do a review. I was VERY close to grabbing one but went Bad Cat instead. I like Class A, but the Fillmore 25 seemed VERY interesting. I like a good 6V6 amp. I am thinking of having Bad Cat do an amp for me based on Black Cat, but with a 6V6 power section using GZ34 rectifier and an EF86 side for drive, then a 12ax7 for the clean. Run the typical Bad Cat/Matchless EQ set-up. Should be a pretty beastly amp. I am thinking I'd want the output around 18 watts.....but I am still VERY curious about the Fillmore because it would be cheaper than a Custom Shop Bad Cat.

For any of you folks who like to hear decent amp demoes, Pete Thorn, Tim Pierce Guitar, Doug Rappaport & Shawn Tubbs' YT channels puts some serious chops into some excellent guitar and amp choices.

For @Tremontinator: Pete Thorn & Doug Rappaport, especially. Both will satisfy that hunger & thirst you have for tasty guitar and amps.

Mesa Fillmore?!?! Hmmm, you need to do a review. I was VERY close to grabbing one but went Bad Cat instead. I like Class A, but the Fillmore 25 seemed VERY interesting. I like a good 6V6 amp. I am thinking of having Bad Cat do an amp for me based on Black Cat, but with a 6V6 power section using GZ34 rectifier and an EF86 side for drive, then a 12ax7 for the clean. Run the typical Bad Cat/Matchless EQ set-up. Should be a pretty beastly amp. I am thinking I'd want the output around 18 watts.....but I am still VERY curious about the Fillmore because it would be cheaper than a Custom Shop Bad Cat.

Mark, the Fillmore I ordered is a 50 Watt head, with 2x6L6s, though, gotta say, I like a good 6V6 amp, too! I really liked the tone in the demos on the website, seems like a fun amp, and it sounds different enough from what I have (HXDA, DG30, Lone Star) that I took a chance and placed the order. Black leather, because, you know, I’m that guy who will order the real leather covering instead of vinyl if it’s available. ;)

I don’t expect the Fillmore to become my #1, for now the DG30 has that distinction; I just wanted some new inspiration for my work, and I don’t have a 50W amp here currently.

I mentioned previously that I had a Hot Cat 30 when they first came out, and it’s a fabulous amp model from a great company. The Black Cat is a wonderful amp, too. I’ve played through a bunch.

DUYi2k2.jpg

More power to the dad brag.

Even if I was joining a Beach Boys tribute band, I would still have an incredibly hard time buying or using F3nd3r gear.
Could go with a 335 like Carl played in the 70s though...o_O

It's pretty bad when the lead guitarist from the ultimate surf band quits playing surf guitars

For @Tremontinator: Pete Thorn & Doug Rappaport, especially. Both will satisfy that hunger & thirst you have for tasty guitar and amps.

That's good lookin out, hoss. :cool: See now that emoji isn't right. Why can't I use my Droid emojis?

I'm gonna add it anyways even though nobody will see it

Candy, you know me too well:D

I'm a big fan of guys who play with heart soul emotion melody passion expression feel and BLUES!

That's the kinda playing that touches my soul!
I'll take one crappy blues player over a million metal shredders and a million jazz noodlers any day

Mark, the Fillmore I ordered is a 50 Watt head, with 2x6L6s, though, gotta say, I like a good 6V6 amp, too! I really liked the tone in the demos on the website, seems like a fun amp, and it sounds different enough from what I have (HXDA, DG30, Lone Star) that I took a chance and placed the order. Black leather, because, you know, I’m that guy who will order the real leather covering instead of vinyl if it’s available. ;)

I don’t expect the Fillmore to become my #1, for now the DG30 has that distinction; I just wanted some new inspiration for my work, and I don’t have a 50W amp here currently.

I mentioned previously that I had a Hot Cat 30 when they first came out, and it’s a fabulous amp model from a great company. The Black Cat is a wonderful amp, too. I’ve played through a bunch.
Love the leather. Dare to be different. In a world of round holes, be a square peg, bro. We'll just sand down the sides and lube it up until it slips in there

Also, you need a Marshall.

Hell, I need a Marshall. More shitto GAS over...

My desert island amp would be a Deluxe Reverb. Do I play mostly Boogie/PRS/Marshall? Yes. But I stick by my original statement. And, of course, a bodacious pedalboard. All this because anyone with real experience knows that Leo Fender started it all. That one little amp can do almost anything.

Also, you need a Marshall...

Don’t need one - the PRS HXDA I have is a late ‘60s Plexi Marshall, the finest new Plexi style amp I’ve played.

I’ve played lots of vintage Plexis, and this amp is the real deal.

PRS cloned Duane Allman’s actual, for real, “Live at the Fillmore” amp, right down to having the original transformers recreated. It has that squish and sag, that warm tone, and it sounds exactly like the great late 60s Plexi its design came from.

They also had the great idea to get hold of one of Eric Johnson’s ‘60s Superleads, and found that there were only a few parts that were different. So they threw in 3 switches that let the amp gradually switch from Allman’s Superbass Plexi to EJ’s Superlead Plexi, or in-between.

When I got it, I was able to dial in “Live at the Fillmore” in about ten seconds!

After the amp came out, Warren Haynes toured with one with The Allman Brothers, until the band went kaput (Gregg passed away).

I installed NOS Mullard preamp tubes, and NOS Siemens output tubes as the finishing touch, and invested in several extra sets, hoping I’d have enough to last for many years.

Back