Confessions of An Ampaholic

Love the leather. Dare to be different. In a world of round holes, be a square peg, bro. We'll just sand down the sides and lube it up until it slips in there.

Here’s a shot of my current amps. The Lone Star is tan leather with ostrich quill embossing, and the wicker grille. The DG30 is on the left, and the HXDA is on the right. Actually, my first leather covered amp was the Mesa Tremoverb I bought in 1994.

Been a square peg for a long time.

J4dZdN6.jpg

Last edited:
That's good lookin out, hoss. :cool: See now that emoji isn't right. Why can't I use my Droid emojis?

I'm gonna add it anyways even though nobody will see it...Candy, you know me too well:D

I'm a big fan of guys who play with heart soul emotion melody passion expression feel and BLUES!

That's the kinda playing that touches my soul! I'll take one crappy blues player over a million metal shredders and a million jazz noodlers any day

Pete & Doug are darned good guitarists, although personally, I appreciate Pete's ability over Doug's regards playing for the guitar parts they've recorded and played leads over. Pete's more versatile, whereas Doug is more direct R'nR. Pete tends to play more for the entire song, and Doug, the 3 or 4 chord riff.

If perhaps you're moved to check out the other 2 guys, Tim Pierce & Shawn Tubbs, Tim is a great guy who plays quite well (session musician, played a gig at the Grammy's recently, does a ton of guest guitarist work), and Shawn works for Carrie Underwood, and other Nashville session gigs. Tim usually lets you in on the occasional effect, rhythm, or lead playing tips, as well as guest interviews, while Shawn does more guitar, effect, amp and modeling demoes. Both have their own signature playing style, and neither is anything like the other. While Tim & Shawn are quite talented, though I think all 4, Doug's playing might appeal to you the most.

The reason I listen to all 4 is for picking up ideas for phrasing a musical statement, and utilizing each for their respective abilities. That being said, my playing ability still sucks dingleballs in the worst way. I imagine I can play better, and the spirit is willing, though my hand / mind / heart coordination is far from what I'd like it to be. My guitar heroes attribute their success to consistent and regular practice, my time is much more limited and if I'd practice like they did, I think I'd see results, too. Just not to be, I'd guess.

Here’s a shot of my current amps. The Lone Star is tan leather with ostrich quill embossing, and the wicker grille. The DG30 is on the left, and the HXDA is on the right. Actually, my first leather covered amp was the Mesa Tremoverb I bought in 1994.

J4dZdN6.jpg

Ya gotta admit, that's a nice looking music room. Clean lines, minimalist decor, neat recording mics and stands. Need to ask, what's the small audio rack consist of?

Don’t need one - the PRS HXDA I have is a late ‘60s Plexi Marshall, the finest new Plexi style amp I’ve played.

I’ve played lots of vintage Plexis, and this amp is the real deal.

PRS cloned Duane Allman’s actual, for real, “Live at the Fillmore” amp, right down to having the original transformers recreated. It has that squish and sag, that warm tone, and it sounds exactly like the great late 60s Plexi its design came from.

They also had the great idea to get hold of one of Eric Johnson’s ‘60s Superleads, and found that there were only a few parts that were different. So they threw in 3 switches that let the amp gradually switch from Allman’s Superbass Plexi to EJ’s Superlead Plexi, or in-between.

When I got it, I was able to dial in “Live at the Fillmore” in about ten seconds!

After the amp came out, Warren Haynes toured with one with The Allman Brothers, until the band went kaput (Gregg passed away).

I installed NOS Mullard preamp tubes, and NOS Siemens output tubes as the finishing touch, and invested in several extra sets, hoping I’d have enough to last for many years.

Ok, so, you've got a Plexi. Great start

JTM45?
JCM 800? 900? 2000?
DSL?
TSL?

No? No? No? No? No? And no?

Exactly. You need a Marshall the same as I need a Marshall

Pete & Doug are darned good guitarists, although personally, I appreciate Pete's ability over Doug's regards playing for the guitar parts they've recorded and played leads over. Pete's more versatile, whereas Doug is more direct R'nR. Pete tends to play more for the entire song, and Doug, the 3 or 4 chord riff.

If perhaps you're moved to check out the other 2 guys, Tim Pierce & Shawn Tubbs, Tim is a great guy who plays quite well (session musician, played a gig at the Grammy's recently, does a ton of guest guitarist work), and Shawn works for Carrie Underwood, and other Nashville session gigs. Tim usually lets you in on the occasional effect, rhythm, or lead playing tips, as well as guest interviews, while Shawn does more guitar, effect, amp and modeling demoes. Both have their own signature playing style, and neither is anything like the other. While Tim & Shawn are quite talented, though I think all 4, Doug's playing might appeal to you the most.

The reason I listen to all 4 is for picking up ideas for phrasing a musical statement, and utilizing each for their respective abilities. That being said, my playing ability still sucks dingleballs in the worst way. I imagine I can play better, and the spirit is willing, though my hand / mind / heart coordination is far from what I'd like it to be. My guitar heroes attribute their success to consistent and regular practice, my time is much more limited and if I'd practice like they did, I think I'd see results, too. Just not to be, I'd guess.

Ya gotta admit, that's a nice looking music room. Clean lines, minimalist decor, neat recording mics and stands. Need to ask, what's the small audio rack consist of?
Thanks candy. I'll check em out when I can

J4dZdN6.jpg

The only PRSa that I know about are the MT15 and a bit about the Archon.

I was second row for Alter Bridge Las Vegas on TLH tour. Slightly off center between Mark and his 4x12. Right at head level maybe 20-25 foot back

That Archon'd like to take your fuckin head off!

Ok, so, you've got a Plexi. Great start

JTM45?
JCM 800? 900? 2000?
DSL?
TSL?

No? No? No? No? No? And...um... no?

Exactly. You need a Marshall the same as I need a Marshall

No, no, no, no, no and um, no.

The JTM 45 I’ve used on sessions in Europe, and it’s truly for a different style of player.

I don’t care for any of the other Marshall models. Not horrid, have nothing against ‘em, just not my thing. The only Marshalls that ever interested me were the old Plexis.

The Archon is very cool if you’re a high gain player, BTW. I’m not one.

It’s part of my craptastic basement studio where I create soundtracks for TV ads, etc (my career). The small rack near the amps just holds a Furman power supply for the guitar gear called the PF-1800 PFR that has a built in 45 Amp power reservoir for the amplifiers, and some of their advanced protection circuitry. It’s in the rack so I don’t have to bend too far to switch it on.

There’s also an old cassette deck I’m too lazy to take out of the rack that was part of the rack’s former life in my old all-analog studio when I had lots of racks of gear. I kept it for lo-fi stuff. These days, everything’s done “in the box.”

This is the other side of the room:

Dmc7g2w.jpg

The JTM 45 I’ve used on sessions in Europe, and it’s truly for a different style of player.

I don’t care for any of the other Marshall models. Not horrid, have nothing against ‘em, just not my thing. The only Marshalls that ever interested me were the old Plexis.

Yeah, I have always liked the idea of a Marshall, and have had quite a few. Ironically enough the only Marshall I have ever LOVED was the 1986 Hybrid 3203 head. Solid State preamp, tube phase inverter, and two EL34s. 30 watts, spring reverb....decent plexi-esque clean/grind channel, with a built drive channel which is essentially an OD box built into the front end. Later on Marshall made an all tube version (but kept the diode clipping) in the 2210/2205 series, which evolved into the JCM900.

But of all Marshalls, I just love the 3203.

It’s part of my craptastic basement studio where I create soundtracks for TV ads, etc (my career). The small rack near the amps just holds a Furman power supply for the guitar gear called the PF-1800 PFR that has a built in 45 Amp power reservoir for the amplifiers, and some of their advanced protection circuitry. It’s in the rack so I don’t have to bend too far to switch it on.

There’s also an old cassette deck I’m too lazy to take out of the rack that was part of the rack’s former life in my old all-analog studio when I had lots of racks of gear. I kept it for lo-fi stuff. These days, everything’s done “in the box.”

Dmc7g2w.jpg

I always love seeing pictures of your studio. I wish I had the floor space. My room is cozy, but it can get crapped in there over long sessions. Thankfully I rarely do more than myself in the room. Sometimes I'll track a live songwriter that wants to play guitar and sing together. The small room makes for a nice "intimate" feel for that type of thing - think Tracy Chapman....

Dmc7g2w.jpg

Nice. My old basement room few years back looked something like that, except it was a 10x14 royal blue walls halfway up to the wainscoting east and west, full blue north and south, and cream upper east/west walls and ceiling. Was awesome during summer months (cool and comfortable while upstairs roasted with windows).

Not anywhere as elaborate as yours, but back in the day, it was my retreat from hectic life where guitar forums awaited and music could be recorded, although only as a hobbyist (no expensive equipment other than an audio interface, 2 surge protection devices, stereo receiver and CD player.)

I think the wood floor goes well with the computer chair seating for easier maneuvering in the room. And that light to the far right! Must be your Rube Goldberg leanings...

Here's several pics of what was in 2015/early 2016...yeah, that was my ODS-30 head/cab....best amp I'd owned that the 2nd channel was hardly ever used...always thought to use the convenience of boutique effects, and eventually sold the amp for my current Brunetti...the bookshelf speakers in the upper corners were for the stereo receiver, although my Focusrite was wired for both my JBL and bookshelf speakers...the reflection in the center poster is the room track lighting that simulated a stage behind the computer chair where one could practice...

b9oVDxO.jpg

7kXLOH7.jpg

vrpFIB1.jpg

Nice. My old basement room few years back looked something like that, except it was a 10x14 royal blue walls halfway up to the wainscoting east and west, full blue north and south, and cream upper east/west walls and ceiling. Was awesome during summer months (cool and comfortable while upstairs roasted with windows).

Not anywhere as elaborate as yours, but back in the day, it was my retreat from hectic life where guitar forums awaited and music could be recorded, although only as a hobbyist (no expensive equipment other than an audio interface, 2 surge protection devices, stereo receiver and CD player.)

I think the wood floor goes well with the computer chair seating for easier maneuvering in the room. And that light to the far right! Must be your Rube Goldberg leanings...

Here's several pics of what was in 2015/early 2016...yeah, that was my ODS-30 head/cab....best amp I'd owned that the 2nd channel was hardly ever used...always thought to use the convenience of boutique effects, and eventually sold the amp for my current Brunetti...the bookshelf speakers in the upper corners were for the stereo receiver, although my Focusrite was wired for both my JBL and bookshelf speakers...the reflection in the center poster is the room track lighting that simulated a stage behind the computer chair where one could practice...

b9oVDxO.jpg

7kXLOH7.jpg

vrpFIB1.jpg

I love it!

Give me studios to look at all the day long, and I'm a happy guy. :)

The Archon is very cool if you’re a high gain player, BTW. I’m not one.

That's cool, bro. You just keep on playing what you dig.

WTF fun fact:
Gain and Distortion aren't the same thing

I always love seeing pictures of your studio. I wish I had the floor space. My room is cozy, but it can get crapped in there over long sessions. Thankfully I rarely do more than myself in the room. Sometimes I'll track a live songwriter that wants to play guitar and sing together. The small room makes for a nice "intimate" feel for that type of thing - think Tracy Chapman....

Yup. I have the same problem when I can't quite take a break quick enough to make it up the stairs to the toilet. Thank goodness for the laundry room and fresh underwear.

That's cool, bro. You just keep on playing what you dig.

WTF fun fact:
Gain and Distortion aren't the same thing

Exactly, though they’re interrelated.

Gain = volume. When the volume of the signal reaches a certain level in a circuit, the limitations of the components are exceeded, resulting in distortion.

A high gain amp is one that increases the signal’s level in the circuit via multiple gain stages in the preamp to very high levels, causing more distortion in the components.

Here’s another fun fact:

A typical hi fi amp has less than 1% distortion. A typical guitar amp, run clean, has about 10% distortion. What we refer to as ‘clean’ is actually a pretty distorted sound.

If you play a guitar direct into a console and listen through monitors, it sounds different from a clean guitar amp because there’s much less distortion.

Guitar amp circuits were originally based on old 1930s RCA radio amp designs. RCA released the designs for free to promote the production of radios, because they were in the broadcast business (Radio Corporation Of America). Early radios weren’t high fidelity devices. So the classic amp designs based on those circuits distorted pretty quickly as well as the signal volume was turned up.

When I was a kid, car radios were monophonic, with a very crappy oval speaker in the top of the dashboard. You could easily drive the speaker into distortion if you cranked the volume, and if you were listening to the rock station, it was like giving a guitar amp lots of gain. It distorted and sounded cool.

Exactly, though they’re interrelated.

Gain = volume. When the volume of the signal reaches a certain level in a circuit, the limitations of the components are exceeded, resulting in distortion.

A high gain amp is one that increases the signal’s level in the circuit via multiple gain stages in the preamp to very high levels, causing more distortion in the components.

Here’s another fun fact:

A typical hi fi amp has less than 1% distortion. A typical guitar amp, run clean, has about 10% distortion. What we refer to as ‘clean’ is actually a pretty distorted sound.

If you play a guitar direct into a console and listen through monitors, it sounds different from a clean guitar amp because there’s much less distortion.

Guitar amp circuits were originally based on old 1930s RCA radio amp designs. RCA released the designs for free to promote the production of radios, because they were in the broadcast business (Radio Corporation Of America). Early radios weren’t high fidelity devices. So the classic amp designs based on those circuits distorted pretty quickly as well as the signal volume was turned up.

When I was a kid, car radios were monophonic, with a very crappy oval speaker in the top of the dashboard. You could easily drive the speaker into distortion if you cranked the volume, and if you were listening to the rock station, it was like giving a guitar amp lots of gain. It distorted and sounded cool.

Your age is showing, Mr. Monophonic.
There's a Beach Boys song where Mike talks about "a Stereophonic speaker set with Vibrasonic sound" lol. I know that's old tech.

Probably blew y'all's minds back in the day though huh?

Great info

Back