Confessions of An Ampaholic

They are just awesome.
The only problem with them is big takes space.
If I could just find an extra room about 15x30 I'd have some very good days at the music stores.

That's just about the size of my studio room. And you know what, by the time I get only three amps set up with space around them for acoustic and ease-of-setup purposes, it's still not really big enough.

However, I still want more more more more more more....bwahahahahaha!

You haven't lived until you've played and turned up a Mark V in Mark IV mode in a 12x12 bedroom! Even in 45 watt mode, stuff falling off the bookshelves while I play.

It's a thing of beauty. :D

I still say I didn't realize how good my Custom 50 was until one day the wife was gone and I turned volume and gain but up to about noon, and I walked out to the side of the amp and started playing. Without changing any EQ, what was thin and semi-buzzy at low volumes, good at "reasonably loud" volumes became big fat and GREAT at loud volumes.

Yes, yes, yes! This is what I've been saying to anyone who'll listen. There's something great about big amps.

You may have answered this before, but if you were willing to buy used amps or if PRS still made 100 watt HX/DAs, would you have one or do you think that particular amp is as good or better in the lower wattage versions?

You may have answered this before, but if you were willing to buy used amps or if PRS still made 100 watt HX/DAs, would you have one or do you think that particular amp is as good or better in the lower wattage versions?

The 30 and the 50 have the same stuff, except the 30 has a lower voltage on the B rails. However, my 50 sounded a little more likely to "let loose," and I felt it had more girth on the low end than my 30.

I would love to have both another 50 and a 100 to explore the various possibilities.

I usually run the Lone Star at 100 Watts; I think it sounds best there, although it does a fairly credible Tweed Deluxe sound switched down to 10 Watts.

The 30 and the 50 have the same stuff, except the 30 has a lower voltage on the B rails. However, my 50 sounded a little more likely to "let loose," and I felt it had more girth on the low end than my 30.

I would love to have both another 50 and a 100 to explore the various possibilities.

I usually run the Lone Star at 100 Watts; I think it sounds best there, although it does a fairly credible Tweed Deluxe sound switched down to 10 Watts.

Okay, I'll take that as an endorsement of at least the idea of a 100 watt HX/DA. When I finally get to buy one, if I see a 100 watt come up used I'll at least consider it. :)

I spent the day tracking down a gremlin. I didn't find it.

My DG30 is in the best location I could find for it in my room, but I thought it was either exciting some kind of room mode causing a buzz somewhere, or something's gotten loose in the cab. Plugged the HXDA into the cab, and all's well. Plugged the DG30 into the HXDA cab, and all's well.

So now I'm thinking something might have gone microphonic caused by the head sitting on the cab.

Beats the hell out of me. Last time I chased a gremlin, I wound up buying a new set of studio monitors, and sent my old ones in for repair to Genelec. Of course, Genelec said, "They're 100% fine." Which they were.

I had a loose bolt on one of my speaker stands that was buzzing, and I SWEAR it seemed to be coming from exactly a certain point on the woofer. I swear it! But, no.

The time before that, my grand piano's hinge seemed to be buzzing. Turned out to be a nearby heating vent rattling against the wall. Unfortunately, when I moved I sold that piano because my new studio didn't have room for it. I miss that thing, but that's another story altogether.

Acoustics will fool ya, alright. :confused:

Gosh I had some nice tone while practicing today!

Just for grins, I set the DG 30 and the HXDA up with the gain quite a bit lower than usual, and turned up the Master volumes. I was playing my 20th Anni of PS guitar, whose pickups are a bit hotter than the McCarty or The Hammer Of The Gods.

Wow and gosharooty.

With the guitar around 8-10, I got beautiful crunchy gain, and with the guitar lower, say, 4-5, gorgeous cleans. And I could push either amp into higher levels of gain with a boost pedal.

I absolutely love my PRS amps, and am totally addicted to what they are capable of.

I also messed around with the Lone Star. I switched the global master and loop out of the circuit, and used the channel volumes to control the amp. I got a very sweet crunch at the 10 Watt setting, just with the guitar volume as with a single channel amp, and then could switch into more distortion on the lead channel. This sounded very, very much like a Tweed Deluxe.

Just goes to show what switching extra gain stages out of a circuit can do for your tone, doesn't it?

With a 50 Watt setting, I had a little more trouble finding my "sound." It was really nice on the clean channel, but the lead channel was a little too "something or other isn't happening." 100 watts actually is my favorite setting for the amp; nice blackface-inspired cleans, very sweet crunch on the lead channel the way I set it up. I'm sure that messing around a little more with the 50 Watt lead channel settings would get me into the zone, but at some point I needed to stop and rest my hands (the nerves are still healing, though it was a good day).

I have more NOS preamp and power tubes that have arrived in the past few days for the HXDA, but I'm resisting the urge to install them until and unless the tubes I have in there wear out. My plan is to have a "lifetime supply" of NOS tubes just for that amp.

It'll give me one more reason to keep playing until I crap out...and I'm stocking up on tubes whenever I find them, so hopefully that'll be a long time away!

You can see I'm pretty serious about the fact that it's a keeper! ;)

Though I also have NOS backups for the DG30, just not quite as many. I'm not sure what my plan is for the Lone Star. I haven't tried it with any NOS tubes yet.I really should...

Last edited:
I also messed around with the Lone Star. I switched the global master and loop out of the circuit, and used the channel volumes to control the amp. I got a very sweet crunch at the 10 Watt setting, just with the guitar volume as with a single channel amp, and then could switch into more distortion on the lead channel. This sounded very, very much like a Tweed Deluxe.
." 100 watts actually is my favorite setting for the amp; nice blackface-inspired cleans, very sweet crunch on the lead channel the way I set it up..

I also prefer the global master and loop switched out of the circuit on my lone star special, and I run it at the full 30 watts

It was an enlightening (more like affirmation) weekend for PRS amp love. This week's gig was at a roadhouse bar outside of Indy about an hour, where vacationers go after they flee the state park located a couple miles away. The prescription was "loud and proud" in that our unnecessary 3rd guitarist was gone and I got to fill that void with some Super Dallas joy. Pushing that front end with the Klon and EP Booster proved to be so perfect, I didn't stray all night - jockeying the Les Paul's volume took care of everything. And for those skeptical of using delays and trem in front of the amp, I can confirm that it ain't no thang. I wish I could have had Mr. Clean (DGT Std), but for this band, it gets lost. Despite using the wrong guitar, the evening was so right.

I was loud (though perfect for the mix) and walked away proud of the PRS contribution to a really good show. :cool:

It was an enlightening (more like affirmation) weekend for PRS amp love. This week's gig was at a roadhouse bar outside of Indy about an hour, where vacationers go after they flee the state park located a couple miles away. The prescription was "loud and proud" in that our unnecessary 3rd guitarist was gone and I got to fill that void with some Super Dallas joy. Pushing that front end with the Klon and EP Booster proved to be so perfect, I didn't stray all night - jockeying the Les Paul's volume took care of everything. And for those skeptical of using delays and trem in front of the amp, I can confirm that it ain't no thang. I wish I could have had Mr. Clean (DGT Std), but for this band, it gets lost. Despite using the wrong guitar, the evening was so right.

I was loud (though perfect for the mix) and walked away proud of the PRS contribution to a really good show. :cool:

Sounds like a sweet night!

I'm more of a wannabe ampaholic. Two recent examples to elucidate this statement.

A few weeks back I found myself in Gaithersburg, MD for some consulting/training business. I found time to head over to Chuck Levins. In the back of my tiny brain was the seed of a thought that I might come home with an HXDA. Alas none in stock. My amp acquisition sobriety remained in tact.

A few days ago I was contacted via pm on another forum about a possible amp trade. I had exactly what he wanted and he had exactly what I wanted. The value of each amp was equal. Pics and much communication confirmed that both units are in near mint/mint condition. Easy right? Simple trade, right? The problem is I'm in NJ and he is in western Canada. No biggie, right? Turns out that because my amp is 1 lbs. over the shipping cut off weight, the price to ship jumped from $176 to $340. Same for him. We agreed the trade was not cost effective. Based on our extensive communication I now have a new internet friend, but no new amp.

that sucks, but these are heavy beasts and must be packaged well to ship that far. I have a friend in South Africa and he had me ship him a Mesa Lone Star about 7 years ago. The next year, a Rivera Fandango. The exchange rate was such that he could buy stuff, pay me to ship it, use it for a year and sell it for hundreds of dollars profit if he didn't love it. But the next year after the Fandango (a 2x12 combo!) I could no longer even ship him things that heavy with any reasonable cost options.

that sucks, but these are heavy beasts and must be packaged well to ship that far. I have a friend in South Africa and he had me ship him a Mesa Lone Star about 7 years ago.

Man, my Lone Star 2x12 combo weighs in at around 80-85 pounds, it is a very, very heavy amp. If it wasn't on wheels, I'd need help moving it (yes, I'm old and weak).

Back