Comparable Alternatives to the Tremonti Bass?

GreenCustom24

Hey all!

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what pickup sounds closest to the Tremonti Bass? I'm hoping it's something that has a mini version a la the JB Jr, Hot Rails, Chopper, etc, or even just a single sized humbucker in general. I like to keep my guitars sounding as consistent as possibly and I'm developing a project that's an HS setup and does NOT (in my opinion) look good as an HH. I want to use a Tremonti Treble in the bridge and was hoping to get something that would fit the mold.

Any ideas?

I believe the Tremonti bass is based off the #7 bass. If that’s the case, you want something with an upper mid focus (or just get the #7, there are USA and S2 versions).

SC250 neck pickup sounds extremely similar, and IIRC from the pickup specs thread, has identical output. That doesn't help you with your half-sized project though.

>Disclaimer that a single coil sized humbucker will never sound just like a full size, blah blah blah<

SD Little '59 is an obvious choice.

Was also going to say lil 59. I have a gibson scale strat with a full size 59 in the neck... maybe later today I’ll see how it compares to the tremonti bass back to back.

Edit- take my unscientific test for what it’s worth but comparing the 2 back to back the 59 has a more high treble compared to the tremonti and the tremonti has quite a bit more mids. They’re less similar than I first thought they would be.

Last edited:
Look at a 57/08 , Dragon 2 Bass , Mira Bass McCarty Bass , all great sounding Neck pickups to be honest are pretty close ( IMHO ) on most PRS

Look at a 57/08 , Dragon 2 Bass , Mira Bass McCarty Bass , all great sounding Neck pickups to be honest are pretty close ( IMHO ) on most PRS
I agree, but none of those are singlecoil sized

I had a cool rails years ago so I can’t say how it compares anymore, but the tone chart on Duncan’s website more closely matches what my ears were hearing. I’d maybe look into that one if if I was trying to get closer to the tremonti neck pup.

Opps sorry didn't read enough.
There was a PRS Vintage rails pickup I used in one of my projects that sounded killer , pretty sure it was a SD Vintage Rails
OR you could try and hunt down a Narrowfield.

I agree, but none of those are singlecoil sized

>Disclaimer that a single coil sized humbucker will never sound just like a full size, blah blah blah<

SD Little '59 is an obvious choice.

I was thinking the Little '59. I figured also that if it doesn't sound super close to the Tremonti it's still a really nice, well rounded neck pickup.

Thanks everyone!

Back