Can You Outgrow a Guitar?

Rockmark

There are several of my PRS' I don't pick up anymore. They just don't meet all he aspects I've come to appreciate in fine PRS's these days. For instance my Employee Santana is Gorgeous but seems like a one trick pony compared to my Private Stock 594's. I have other PRS I am not drawn to really pick up anymore either so started to wonder if this may be the reason so many used guitars are turned over out there. Is this how our individual searches for our "perfect one" goes on forever? And I am always still looking at them out there.:cool:;)

I have two guitars I haven’t played in close to a year. I don’t know that I have outgrown them or I’m just fulfilled by my other guitars (including a PS 594). I know it’s past time to move the SG and Gretsch, but I just abhor the selling process.

I suppose so. I think when speaking of high quality instruments, it’s more that tastes change over time, as do our needs as players. People want and need different things. What I wanted 15 years ago is somewhat different from now. What I need to get what I want from a guitar is definitely a little different.

I wouldn’t say outgrow, but more like my ears, hands and unfortunately spine have changed so what works best is different today than a few years ago.

My pernambuco neck guitar is one of the best I’ve ever played tone wise, but the pattern regular neck carve almost feels too small next to my mostly pattern and pattern vintage ones. Takes me longer to warm up on it (but well worth it!)

I have been refining my heard for years , also as new models come out , like the Special Semi Hollow and the Silver Sky, new tones just seem to happen

Yeah, it happens I think. Sometimes, for me, I but a PRS online and think it'll be great (and it is) but then play it a few times to never touch it again. Just no overall excitement. My DGT was like that. My CU22 Wood Library is like that. My 594 is like that. They just don't blow me away when I play them. So, considering that, I am sure one could outgrow a guitar....

Only if it were an entry-level guitar, and that doesn’t include the SE line. I watched my boys outgrow their first instruments and become constrained by the limits of poor construction, intonation, playability, and tone. The moment they grabbed one of my guitars, the problems ceased. That’s why they both received PRS models, too...my guitars won’t be their guitars for quite a while. ;)

I don’t know... my Santana’s, KL33, and West Street’s get used for everything from any sort of “rock” all the way to reggae, funk, disco, and my Mexican Emo band.

I would hardly call them “one trick ponies”.... but that’s just me.

You lookin’ to sell? Is it not blue?

I wasn't inferring that all Santana's are one trick ponies. I think it's this particular Employee build that is just quite dark sounding no matter what and not much choice of variation it seems. But the Santana tone. It's to die for. Now I have other Santana shapes, Dragons, Howard Leese PS and such but they really don't get play for other reasons. Sergio, however the one I referred to as one trick pony, I'd probably never let go of. Tell me that's not sick. :confused: It was built by the first lead painter in ps, charcoal w hint of violet edge burst and dyno Braz neck. Prob why the sound is dark. The top is killer. This is a sickness for sure.

Last edited:
I wasn't inferring that all Santana's are one trick ponies. I think it's this particular Employee build that is just quite dark sounding no matter what and not much choice of variation it seems. But the Santana tone. It's to die for. Now I have other Santana shapes, Dragons, Howard Leese PS and such but they really don't get play for other reasons. Sergio, however the one I referred to as one trick pony, I'd probably never let go of. Tell me that's not sick. :confused: It was built by the first lead painter in ps, charcoal w hint of violet edge burst and dyno Braz neck. Prob why the sound is dark. The top is killer. This is a sickness for sure.

I’d love to see it sometime! Santana Fever is very real, I’d never make you feel bad for suffering from it.

What about some bright pickups? What’s the tone cap value?

I’d love to see it sometime! Santana Fever is very real, I’d never make you feel bad for suffering from it.

What about some bright pickups? What’s the tone cap value?

It could be the pups, I don't know what he put in there when he made it, however it's not that big a deal to me. I figured I'd like the playability better when I first bought it but it is what it is now. It is a collectible beauty that I just keep.

This! A Braz neck should NEVER sound dark!

I know Paul, and this one being super baseball made me think that is why it sounds as it does. It probably is the pups. I have 6 w Braz necks and love my tones, but they're all w/f except this particular one. It does have a very warm, sweet tone to it. Just not much versatility.

Last edited:
I know Paul, and this one being super baseball made me think that is why it sounds as it does. It probably is the pups. I have 6 w Braz necks and love my tones, but they're all w/f except this particular one. It does have a very warm, sweet tone to it. Just not much versatility.
My new custom Orca 59 Trem has a very dense, fat old growth Braz neck (neck weighs a ton!) and it rings like a bell with all the familiar bell like clarity and piano lows of a good bras neck -nothing dark about it at all. So not related to thickness. Gotta be the pickups and caps.

Not outgrow, no.

There are always ones that become neglected. It doesn't matter if they are expensive or cheap either. They are all equal regardless of my favourites.

For quite a while I hadn't picked up my Hagstrom Deuce, nor my CE24. I seriously wondered if I still needed the Deuce yesterday. I picked it up and fingerpicked a couple of instrumentals. It reminded me that I had nothing else that sounded or handled like it, and that it suited fingerstyle ideally. So its staying right where it is.

At some point I'll pick up the CE24 again. Will there be a similar epiphany moment? Probably will.

I only have 3 in regular rotation now but tend to get fixed on one of them for months a time

I eventually outgrew my mini PS my new parents gave me. No silver spoon here.
94543670.jpg

OK. Just an old gag photo I had lying around.

To answer the question, I do believe your ears and tastes and directions may change, so yes.

Last edited:
I suppose so. I think when speaking of high quality instruments, it’s more that tastes change over time, as do our needs as players. People want and need different things. What I wanted 15 years ago is somewhat different from now. What I need to get what I want from a guitar is definitely a little different.

I think you've nailed it here. My tastes change over time and is probably the biggest reason why I've gone through so many guitars in my lifetime.

I'm totally in with this. I don't outgrow. Tastes change.

Back