Can You Outgrow a Guitar?

Regardless of whether we call it outgrowing or changing tastes, I can kinda feel where @Rockmark is coming from.

My original CE is a little aggressive of a guitar for me now, huge frets, hot pickups, and a thinner neck isn’t really where I’m at.

I keep thinking about revamping it with some new pickups, but since I have a pile of PRS to choose from.... I’m kinda leaning towards leaving it and letting it be what it is, but it’s an odd feeling owning a guitar I don’t always have a use for.

It’s like having a relatively expensive Torx screwdriver that I only need once in awhile.

Regardless of whether we call it outgrowing or changing tastes, I can kinda feel where @Rockmark is coming from.

My original CE is a little aggressive of a guitar for me now, huge frets, hot pickups, and a thinner neck isn’t really where I’m at.

I keep thinking about revamping it with some new pickups, but since I have a pile of PRS to choose from.... I’m kinda leaning towards leaving it and letting it be what it is, but it’s an odd feeling owning a guitar I don’t always have a use for.

It’s like having a relatively expensive Torx screwdriver that I only need once in awhile.

Hey I’ve got a carbon road bike that I built up. I rode about 100 miles on it.

I should really convert it into another PRS!

Last edited:
Well, I would think that as one ages, one's expectations and tastes change. Many times gits are bought for reputation and sometimes that reputation doesn't fulfill your playing and hearing needs. Would I play that 65 Mosrite Ventures II model I bought as a kid with first band money?? Probably not, I have much better guitars now. Even if I still had it, it would not be the sonic recipe I seek at 71 yrs. of age. I cannot quite get to the angle of a mulit thousand dollar guitar not shaking anyone's skirt any longer...;-)

I wouldn’t say outgrow, but more like my ears, hands and unfortunately spine have changed so what works best is different today than a few years ago.

My pernambuco neck guitar is one of the best I’ve ever played tone wise, but the pattern regular neck carve almost feels too small next to my mostly pattern and pattern vintage ones. Takes me longer to warm up on it (but well worth it!)
The Aquamarine P22?

I’m stalking....;)

I eventually outgrew my mini PS my new parents gave me. No silver spoon here.
94543670.jpg

OK. Just an old gag photo I had lying around.

To answer the question, I do believe your ears and tastes and directions may change, so yes.
That.......is one lucky baby

I'm totally in with this. I don't outgrow. Tastes change.

yup! I remind myself if one isn’t getting any love to just wait and some inspiration will have you grabbing it in time. Learned early on that if I sell the neglected ones I typically come to regret it.

I’ve also learned to pace myself in adding new ones, it’s usually that impulse control issue that leads to too many. And if you have too many, there will always be some that are out of rotation. Having fewer gives me some psychological calmness that I don’t have some collecting dust at any given point.

I have become used to chunky necks and my guitars with skinny necks are now hard to play for long. And some are great guitars so I'm a little bugged by this.

no, you can't outgrow a "decent" guitar. to believe so is just a personal affectation to drive your ego.
i doubt that you are that good.
having said that, you can certainly outgrow beginner guitars and move into higher quality guitars.
but, u can't outgrow your skill level at any particular point in time.

Back