Calling all SE Tim Mahoney owners

maxtuna26

Hey guys, I was just taking down guitars and plugging them in to try in my local store. I plugged in the Mahoney model and played it for quite a bit. Before unplugging it, I was just fiddling around with the knobs and unintentionally pulled the tone knob. A very familiar click sounded and the next thing I was playing in singlecoil mode. Weirdly, the product page doesn't show Mahoney models have coil-splits and I never did stumble across any info on this. Does all Mahoney models have the coil-split? Or is there a hidden model update recently that added the coil-split?

Hey guys, I was just taking down guitars and plugging them in to try in my local store. I plugged in the Mahoney model and played it for quite a bit. Before unplugging it, I was just fiddling around with the knobs and unintentionally pulled the tone knob. A very familiar click sounded and the next thing I was playing in singlecoil mode. Weirdly, the product page doesn't show Mahoney models have coil-splits and I never did stumble across any info on this. Does all Mahoney models have the coil-split? Or is there a hidden model update recently that added the coil-split?

Hey now! My TM does not have coil split. I'm guessing the most likely scenario is the guitar was purchased, modded, then returned to the store.

The SE Custom 24 has SE HFS and SE VB pickups with coil splits. If they put the same pickups in the Mahoney, wouldn't the split wires just be hanging out with nothing to do? Makes sense to hook them up to a part that only costs a few extra bucks. Chris, have you opened up the control cavity on yours?

We have had 3 in our store and none came with coil taps.Of course, I bought one with my fiance and then she had me put EMG's and new tuners, and an American PRS nut. It's my "go -to" for learning songs, cuz of the stoptail. Any tuning; no muss, no fuss!!

Chris, have you opened up the control cavity on yours?

Hi John!! I have, as I replaced the stock bridge pickup with an SD Alternative 8. Sweet pickup. But no, no push/pull in the cavity. Bought brand new and untouched.

now that's something interesting to learn about...might have to ask the guy in the shop about that, they're selling it new (that means full price :eek:) thanks people :cheers:

Did the stock pickups have the split wire? Disconnected of course.

I got a chance today to open the cavity and look. From what I see I'm 99% that the pickups only have two conductors. I got my TM in January of 2012, it was fairly new (as a model) at that time. I don't remember if the SE CST24's with split were available then (I think not).

So either they make two versions of their SE HFS/VBass, one with four conductor and one without, or since releasing a model with split they've changed the model pickup and brand new TM's from today have the extra wires taped off.

My Tim Mahoney model just arrived today and first of all, what a great guitar! I was always a Strat player and still will be, but never found a guitar that I liked to fill out the humbucking equation in my collection. This is my first PRS and it is the answer. As far as the coil split, I knew nothing of that until I stumbled upon this post, I just gave the tone knob a tug and mine definitely has the coil splitter. By serial number mine is a 2013, so I am imagining it is something on the newer models.

Interesting! So it seems as soon as the CST24's we released with spilt pickups they carried it over to the TM. Mine was one of the first batches which didn't.

Poor thing. I love it but it still doesn't get a fraction of playing time as the Custom 22's....

Hi there,

New to the forum...I got my PRS SE TM right when they came out. Got it from Wild West Guitars and it does not have the coil taps/splits.

This is however my main guitar for gigging...also one of my favorites. Only upgrades I have done was to replace the lightning bolt stop tail with the PRS adjustable stop tail. Now the intonation is perfect.

Would like to pick up another as a back up...but you just do not see many. One listed on Reverb 10 hours ago and sold while I was typing my offer...

-Fiestadude

Welcome to the forum.

Didn’t even know this model existed. Nice looking guitar. I should imagine they don’t come up for sale very often.

Would love to see some pics of your Tim Mahoney, when you can.

Hope you stick around.

Hi there,

New to the forum...I got my PRS SE TM right when they came out. Got it from Wild West Guitars and it does not have the coil taps/splits.

This is however my main guitar for gigging...also one of my favorites. Only upgrades I have done was to replace the lightning bolt stop tail with the PRS adjustable stop tail. Now the intonation is perfect.

Would like to pick up another as a back up...but you just do not see many. One listed on Reverb 10 hours ago and sold while I was typing my offer...

-Fiestadude
I'm the dude who bought the one in June!

If you're like me you were curious about some of the parts that were clearly not stock. It had a Tone Zone in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck. Tonepros bridge (I broke the top off one stud almost immediately). Coil split. And of course the Gotoh tuners mentioned by the seller.

I changed the pickup rings/switch to cream with clear knobs (may do cream ones). Replaced the Tonepros bridge (pita to use that little wrench) with the PRS adjustable brass saddle version (loved the PRS version ever since I got my ZM) and new brass studs just to ensure everything fit just exactly perfect. Swapped the pickups with a set of Pearly Gates.

Like you, I was stalking one of these for a while and it's ended up being just what I hoped it would be.

52363271040_c0cbbd582b_m.jpg

52361906192_c981f820dc_m.jpg

52362846096_0cacc8bfdd_m.jpg

I'm the dude who bought the one in June!

If you're like me you were curious about some of the parts that were clearly not stock. It had a Tone Zone in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck. Tonepros bridge (I broke the top off one stud almost immediately). Coil split. And of course the Gotoh tuners mentioned by the seller.

I changed the pickup rings/switch to cream with clear knobs (may do cream ones). Replaced the Tonepros bridge (pita to use that little wrench) with the PRS adjustable brass saddle version (loved the PRS version ever since I got my ZM) and new brass studs just to ensure everything fit just exactly perfect. Swapped the pickups with a set of Pearly Gates.

Like you, I was stalking one of these for a while and it's ended up being just what I hoped it would be.

52363271040_c0cbbd582b_m.jpg

52361906192_c981f820dc_m.jpg

52362846096_0cacc8bfdd_m.jpg
Jerry,

You got a great deal on that guitar...congrats. Great looking guitar with those changes too.

I have not swapped the PU's in mine yet (looking at some bare knuckle Riff Raffs (I have a set in a LP that sound great), but I did go with the PRS adjustable bridge like you did...freaking great bridge.

I use this as my main gigging guitar...I purchased another Std 24 as a backup...but I would really like to get another one of these. Both are PRS std...but this one just feels better to me.

Enjoy that fine guitar man...

-Fiestadude

yea these are super hard to come by and the prices are getting HIGH. I was lucky to find one used on Guitar Center's website of all places for $300!!! When I saw it I lost my dang mind - only had Gotoh locking tuners but stock otherwise. I was thinking of upgrading to US HFS/VB at some point. I believe later on in the run (2014+ I believe) they came with the push/pull tone for coil split, and there was a year or two after that with a new body with more beveled edges. Such a sick guitar - super hard to find a PRS 24 with a stop tail. Mine is a 2014 model.

NhLiaHy.jpg

hey all new to the forum here. I bought my 2012 model in 2012 and just until I read this thread now did I realize there was a certain year that had the split coil, which my 2012 does not. I'll be sure to post mine as it is signed by all 5 members :)

Back