Call Me Crazy but Tell Me What You think

south89

SO I have 2 Siggy's . One in fire Red Burst
P1020438.jpg

And I have a Charcoal Burst that is probably my favorite color.

P1020440.jpg

So I had this crazy idea today and the more I thought about it the cooler it sounded.:D

I am not crazy about a black back and neck and was thinking what would my charcoal burst look like if I sent it to Shawn and the great team at the PTC and had the back of the body and the neck stripped of the black and refinished in natural or some kind of light stain to show off the WOOD.

I am open to everyone's thoughts . Thats why I started this thread to get everyone's opinion.

I love the idea! I like you, dig CB but don't go so much on the black back/neck. I even think that a painted neck would have more resistance than an unpainted one (even tho the V12 top coat is the same on both, it's a psychological thing!)

I do love a natural back on a PRS so I say go for it, you'll end up with something unique and very cool. I also love how natural back Siggy's look with the slightly darker "sinker" hog neck.

CB is one of my favorite colors, too, but I think the black back and neck set off the burst really well.

Ultimately, it's just a matter of personal taste and whether you want to spend the money.

Is there a particular reason what guitars get a specific color back? Is it all aesthetics or are their issues like bleed through with certain colors?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I guess I will contact Shawn and see what he thinks. He is probably gonna think I'm crazy because I talked to him about another idea I had a couple days ago so hopefully he finds amusement in my craziness.:vroam:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I guess I will contact Shawn and see what he thinks. He is probably gonna think I'm crazy because I talked to him about another idea I had a couple days ago so hopefully he finds amusement in my craziness.:vroam:

Trust me, I've bugged Shawn for things that made WAYYYYYYYYY less sense than this! I think its a great idea and would look fantastic. Hopefully since its paint and not stain you'll be able to get away with it :)

So I had this crazy idea today and the more I thought about it the cooler it sounded.:D

I am not crazy about a black back and neck and was thinking what would my charcoal burst look like if I sent it to Shawn and the great team at the PTC and had the back of the body and the neck stripped of the black and refinished in natural or some kind of light stain to show off the WOOD.

I am open to everyone's thoughts . Thats why I started this thread to get everyone's opinion.

I'm going against the grain (pardon the pun) on this one. I think you should leave the back as it is for several reasons.

1. A natural back will provide zero contrast to the darker top and natural body binding.
  2. Refinishing the back won't change one thing about how well it plays or how good it sounds.
  3. It's the back of the guitar. :dontknow:

I would say save the money you would spend on refinishing the back and put it toward a new or used guitar with a different pickup configuration and stain to provide some variety from what you already own. Just my $0.02.

Just buy another one with the right colors. I can't imagine the cost of a refin like that?!?
I prefer the red myself. Black just scratches too easy. But the red is the color I was looking for when shopping for my first PRS months back.

Just buy another one with the right colors. I can't imagine the cost of a refin like that?!?
I prefer the red myself. Black just scratches too easy. But the red is the color I was looking for when shopping for my first PRS months back.

I have the color I want in the charcoal burst but they are all with black backs. If this can be done it would definately be unique to all othe sig limiteds.:rock:

I like the idea. Wraparounds aside, I can't think of a single translucent color I like better with a painted back. Natural backs just catch my eye so much better and really make the stain pop. I loved my old Emerald CU24, the worst thing about it was the black back. Uggh! Same with Whale Blue. Love the stain, HATE the black back.

YesYesYes! Im a big fan of natural backs. Love the wood grain. I bought a 2011 cu24 this past summer. It doesnt have a natural back or neck but the top is so beautiful that I HAD to have it. It has a blue stain on back so i can still see the wood grain. I will try to get pics of my very small prs collection posted.

I love natural wood wherever I can get it, but I don't think I would mess with a perfectly good guitar to get there, especially one that looked as good as yours does now.

Back