"Brass impregnated" nuts

I measured it and it appears to be between 1 5/8" and 1 11/16".

EDIT: just checked the factory specs and the nut width of the USA Silver Sky is 1 21/32" and the SE 1 20/32"...which is the same as 1 5/8"

But mine seems to be right between 1 5/8" and 1 11/16".

So 1 21/32"!

Go figure...
I do remember the SS necks being their own thing. It would probably be difficult to get one of those to work since you are in between them. The string spacing would be off on the wider one and the narrower one would probably not make it a cross the whole fretboard on top of the string spacing issue.

What a nutty old thread. :)
Well I'm going to give 'em a try. Replace the plastic nut on my SE Silver Sky. It's just a SE. The original nut fell off and I had to reglue it, but I noticed while it was off that it was semi hollow!

Or at least had some hollow spots.

If none of the brass infested nuts are the right size maybe I'll make one from bone.

Wouldn't be the first time.

Last edited:
No answer though on when PRS started using the brass infused nuts.

Anyone know the year for certain?

Last edited:
I am pretty sure it was since day one, or pretty close to it.
That is my understanding too. I also remember reading that it was impregnated with bronze, not brass. I see it stated as brass a lot but I remembered reading years ago that it is bronze.

That is my understanding too. I also remember reading that it was impregnated with bronze, not brass. I see it stated as brass a lot but I remembered reading years ago that it is bronze.
The bronze also sounds familiar to me

Back