"Brass impregnated" nuts

Dan-d-1985

Perpetual lurker
Did I hear that right?

Watching the new S2 videos on Youtube, they're talking about the materials used and on talking about the nuts, and they say brass "impregnated".

That's something i've never heard before.

Am I just behind the times?

2m30 into video -> S2 Parts description video

I'd like to hear more on this too, I must have missed what the guy said. First time knowing nuts can be impregnated with brass, but wouldn't that cause friction at the string slots if there's brass dust there?

I'd like to hear more on this too, I must have missed what the guy said. First time knowing nuts can be impregnated with brass, but wouldn't that cause friction at the string slots if there's brass dust there?

The brass adds better tone and sustain. The synthetic material provides the slipperiness.

Anyone know if the pots are core or SE?

The S2 pots are neither core nore SE. Just like the guitar models themselves, the S2 pots are their own animal.

It just sounds painful to me!
I know, the nuts are supposed to DO the impregnating, not get impregnated!?!?!?!

Maybe it's all about boosting confidence. Courage. I'll just leave this here.

brass-balls2_5613.jpg

Thanks Shawn! Good to hear PRS is innovating yet again :top:

I know, the nuts are supposed to DO the impregnating, not get impregnated!?!?!?!

Maybe it's all about boosting confidence. Courage. I'll just leave this here.

brass-balls2_5613.jpg

These jokes just never get old :rofl:

Are the brass impregnated nuts available as an aftermarket item?

I'd like to try one on my Silver Sky or CU22.

I've read that Carlos Santana is using these.

Last edited:
You can get them here.

Many thanks! Which would be most appropriate for a SE Silver Sky? Mine has a neck radius of about 8 1/2". Maybe close to 9", although it's supposed to be 8 1/2". Shoot...maybe I'll just get two of each size!

My question is, when did they make this change? All my McCarty's are older. If/when one needs to be changed I'd be interested in using one of these, maybe.

Many thanks! Which would be most appropriate for a SE Silver Sky? Mine has a neck radius of about 8 1/2". Maybe close to 9", although it's supposed to be 8 1/2". Shoot...maybe I'll just get two of each size!
It is all about the nut width. I am not sure what the width is on the one you have. The wide fat or pattern necks use a 1 11/16 nut. Check the specs on your guitar on their site do see what the nut width is.

It is all about the nut width. I am not sure what the width is on the one you have. The wide fat or pattern necks use a 1 11/16 nut. Check the specs on your guitar on their site do see what the nut width is.
I measured it and it appears to be between 1 5/8" and 1 11/16".

EDIT: just checked the factory specs and the nut width of the USA Silver Sky is 1 21/32" and the SE 1 20/32"...which is the same as 1 5/8"

But mine seems to be right between 1 5/8" and 1 11/16".

So 1 21/32"!

Go figure...

Back