Let’s talk nuts…..

It was probably Rick Turner who started the brass craze with Alembic basses and guitars.

But Rick stopped using brass nuts and I've never seen a brass nut on one of his Model 1 guitars.

You know, the guitar Buckingham plays.

I have a Turner Model 1, BTW. Great guitar. Super versatile.

But back to nuts...

Bone, elk antler, reclaimed ivory, Tusq...it's all good.

I use bone myself.

Last edited:
Getting better, thank you!

A year ago (Nov 2021) I had Pericardial Effusion, courtesy of JNJ Covid shot. I was cleared last April and resumed physical activity, but on Aug 4th I had Pericardial Tamponade and nearly died from it (my heart was getting squeezed by the fluid build up and my heart rate kept spiking to 200 bpm despite simply sitting at the table eating lunch - had I still been doing yard work that might have been it!). I didn't have any 'real' symptoms like the first pericarditis event, just some strange neck tightness on a monthly basis that anti-inflammatories would clear up. I was scheduled for an endoscopy when Aug 4th happened...

Thankfully, I'm doing much better now due to prolonged rest and heart meds. I have another Echo on Wednesday and hope to receive the all clear again. Then, we'll need to do another one a few months from now after I resume physical activity again and see if the fluid builds up around my heart again - if so, it would confirm Chronic Pericarditis. Time will tell.

I've also been trying new meds for my vestibular migraine condition with my third neurologist. Starting to get some progress so maybe 2023 is the year I can work again? Been brutal the past 4 years, but grateful I'm still on the planet!
Keep recovering!!! Prayers sent. and keep us post on how you're doing. :)

I sent my 2019 ssh-Ltd edition to the PTC to “upgrade” the nut, (to a bone nut) the tuners, (to the “tweaked” phase III) and the pickups, (from 58/15 mt) to the 58/15 lt version. The only thing I like better are the tweaked tuners! I never had tuning problems before changing to bone. Don’t get me wrong, it’s well cut and outside of having to use Big Bend’s nut sauce almost every time I play it, it’s passable. The pickups are nice too, but the originals definitely worked much better in this guitar…and had more oomph and clarity.
The long and short of this is, at some point this winter I’m going to re-install the original nut and pickups. When I had the work done, I was just updating the guitar to 2021 specs. ( PRS made the Special semi-hollow a core model. ) You must all think I’m NUTS for doing this! (Sorry, I had to get the theme of the thread in there!) I’m NUTS about this guitar! My wife bought it for me for my birthday, when it first came out. At any rate, lesson learned: If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

In 2013, I was asked by the PTC to test the new nut material on my 2008 DGT. I stopped at the factory, got the nut installed, and tested it out for a few months. I think I kept it on there? In 2020, I had the PTC install a bone nut. I’ve been happy with the bone (TWSS).

It was probably Rick Turner who started the brass craze with Alembic basses and guitars.

But Rick stopped using brass nuts and I've never seen a brass nut on one of his Model 1 guitars.

You know, the guitar Buckingham plays.

I have a Turner Model 1, BTW. Great guitar. Super versatile.

But back to nuts...

Bone, elk antler, reclaimed ivory, Tusq...it's all good.

I use bone myself.
Thanks for your replies and sharing your experiences.

Keep recovering!!! Prayers sent. and keep us post on how you're doing. :)
Appreciate the well wishes and prayers!

Apparently I still have a lot of fluid build up. I see my cardiologist in a few weeks to go over the results in more detail.

Back