Blue with black painted backs?

Is it OK to not even know what the back of your guitar looks like? At all?

There’s another thread about folks not liking the wrap finishes (I love them), and IIRC. someone mentioned the solid color backs.

Since I have two Black Gold guitars, I decided to take a look and see what color the backs on mine were painted. Turns out they’re kind of an opaque brown shade. Looks nice to me.

I like the headstock veneer to be rosewood or ebony (or whatever unfinished wood the fretboard is made of) because then I don’t have to think about scratching the surface while stringing the guitar. It’s a small thing, of course, but for me it’s one less issue, and I like the look. Though if the right guitar had a matching headstock, I wouldn’t mind at all.

I am WAY too freaking easy, right? ;)

Great point about the unfinished headstock veneer. The “small” things matter! :cool:

But how do you know that black back guitar’s tone doesn’t kick everything else to the curb?

In my case, there is a certain amount of 'ignorance is bliss' going on with guitars. Its not just PRS but any guitar that doesn't catch my eye - whether is a colour or type of guitar, whether the back is painted or not etc. If it doesn't look right to me, doesn't match what I want (especially not if I am paying PRS money for it), then I will not even entertain the idea of even trying it.

In a room full of the same model for example, the only ones, if any, I would actually try are the ones I like the look of. If that means I only try 1 or 2, then I don't care if the Blue one or a black backed guitar is 'better' or not, if the one(s) I try don't sound great, I will leave without buying a guitar. I couldn't care less if the best version of that model was sat in that room but had a painted back, I would never know anyway. I won't be losing any sleep over it because I never tried it - it failed the first test and that was to look good enough in my eyes to want to pick it up. What good is a guitar if you don't want to pick it up?

I can wait and wait and wait until I see a model that I like the look of. I do have a 2nd choice if I feel that I cannot or will not get my first choice (as proved by the Limited Edition Special in Charcoal Cherry Burst) but unless I find the right looking guitar, I can wait it out and 'make do' with the variety of stunning guitars I already own. There could be much better sounding ones out there but I am extremely happy with mine as they are - hence I own them. There can't be any better playing or feeling versions (at the same price-point) because they are all in the same ballpark with only small variation in weight differences. Being a PRS too, they are not going to be 'kicked to the kerb' by another PRS in the same price - a wood library or PS may do of course...

Without ever bothering with the instruments that do not appeal visually, you never know that one (or more) is better than the one you really like the look of and the one you thought was good enough to buy. Lets be honest here, do PRS guitars vary so much that you cannot buy the one you like the look of for fear of buying a 'poor' sounding guitar?

In my case, there is a certain amount of 'ignorance is bliss' going on with guitars. Its not just PRS but any guitar that doesn't catch my eye - whether is a colour or type of guitar, whether the back is painted or not etc. If it doesn't look right to me, doesn't match what I want (especially not if I am paying PRS money for it), then I will not even entertain the idea of even trying it.

In a room full of the same model for example, the only ones, if any, I would actually try are the ones I like the look of. If that means I only try 1 or 2, then I don't care if the Blue one or a black backed guitar is 'better' or not, if the one(s) I try don't sound great, I will leave without buying a guitar. I couldn't care less if the best version of that model was sat in that room but had a painted back, I would never know anyway. I won't be losing any sleep over it because I never tried it - it failed the first test and that was to look good enough in my eyes to want to pick it up. What good is a guitar if you don't want to pick it up?

I can wait and wait and wait until I see a model that I like the look of. I do have a 2nd choice if I feel that I cannot or will not get my first choice (as proved by the Limited Edition Special in Charcoal Cherry Burst) but unless I find the right looking guitar, I can wait it out and 'make do' with the variety of stunning guitars I already own. There could be much better sounding ones out there but I am extremely happy with mine as they are - hence I own them. There can't be any better playing or feeling versions (at the same price-point) because they are all in the same ballpark with only small variation in weight differences. Being a PRS too, they are not going to be 'kicked to the kerb' by another PRS in the same price - a wood library or PS may do of course...

Without ever bothering with the instruments that do not appeal visually, you never know that one (or more) is better than the one you really like the look of and the one you thought was good enough to buy. Lets be honest here, do PRS guitars vary so much that you cannot buy the one you like the look of for fear of buying a 'poor' sounding guitar?

Well said., and the answer to your last question is NO.

You are probably right. You almost certainly wont get a 'poor' sounding guitar, but precisely because they dont all sound the same, you could buy one that could have been better.

You are probably right. You almost certainly wont get a 'poor' sounding guitar, but precisely because they dont all sound the same, you could buy one that could have been better.

The point I was making is that I would never know so would never care. I know they do vary a bit because the variations in natural materials for example but I would only try the ones I like the look of and, if there is more than 1 I like, then I would still walk out of that shop with the 'best guitar' for ME. Chances are, all the PRS guitars in the SAME model, would play the same so I would walk out of that shop with the one that I liked the look and sound of. Whether one of the others had a slightly 'better' sound or not, I don't care - the others failed the first test and that is important to me.

If the one that I leave the shop with is worse, it was still the 'best' guitar I heard and leave the shop extremely happy that I have a fantastic instrument that looks, sounds, plays and feels great. If not, I would have walked away, go to another shop that may have the model in a look I like and try them. the Sound is purely subjective - what you may prefer the sound of, I may not. The differences too would be subtle and still sound great. The difference in store could be attributed to the age of the strings, the small variation in PU height etc. Also going from store to store, the amp you get to try them on can make a difference so even if you think one guitar sounds better than all the others you tried, especially if you go from shop to shop, that could be more down to circumstance and actually one of the others would have sounded better when you got it home, put new strings on, set it up to your preference and played it through your own rig. Because that guitar in the shop had older strings, lower PU height, poor amp and/or acoustics in the room - whatever reason, you aren't going to rue buying it because you took home the one that you thought was best.

If its all about the little nuances that differ from instrument to instrument, if its all that matters to you, How far are you willing to go? Do you buy the best on one store? Are you that concerned that you would go to every store in a 100mile radius of your home to try them all to find the best one? Maybe even all the shops in your State/county and all adjoining States/Counties to ensure that you have tried everyone to ensure you have the 'best'. Can't be worried that you haven't got the best until you have tried everyone. Maybe PRS have yet to build the best or maybe you will have to settle for 2nd or 10th best maybe because someone else bought the best... How far are you willing to go to find the 'best'? How can you be sure you have the 'best'. If you are only worried about the 'best' in stock at the time you visited, you don't know if you have the 'best' because the best could be sat in another store, could arrive in the store in the next batch if you waited....

I am happy to walk out of a shop with an instrument that looks stunning, sounds great to me, plays well etc. I am leaving that shop happy! Whether its the 'best' sounding or not, that's very subjective anyway, but I am leaving the store with the best guitar for ME. I would sacrifice some small nuance in the tone to have a guitar that looks stunning and makes me want to pick it up and play it far more than a guitar that I don't like the look, the colour of etc. Just like a guitar is the sum of its parts, so it is with my decision to buy. A guitar has to look great (to ME), sound great (to ME), Play and Feel great (to ME) and if not, if any of these categories are not met, then I couldn't care less if its the 'best' sounding instrument but in a colour I hate, its not the best instrument to ME. ALL my guitars have to be at least great in every category so I wouldn't buy the best looking instrument if it doesn't sound, feel or play great to me.

QUOTE="Mozzi, post: 501076, member: 22871"]

If its all about the little nuances that differ from instrument to instrument, if its all that matters to you, How far are you willing to go? Do you buy the best on one store? Are you that concerned that you would go to every store in a 100mile radius of your home to try them all to find the best one? Maybe even all the shops in your State/county and all adjoining States/Counties to ensure that you have tried everyone to ensure you have the 'best'. Can't be worried that you haven't got the best until you have tried everyone. [/QUOTE]

I love your grand scale of thinking Mozzi :)

No, I would not go to America to try out guitars. I'd rather not drive much longer than an hour TBH, which would just about get me into the next UK county.

You have misunderstood, so allow me to explain. I don't need to try out every guitar in the shop, and I would begin the same way you do. I would try out the ones that look pretty first. Unlike you, if I was unimpressed with them, I would then try out the plain looking ones. A simple enough process really. I leave most shops empty handed, being quite hard to please.

Little nuances? I suppose you could call them that. I choose a guitar with my ears and know immediately if its usable or not. Then comes the handling.
A small negative variation in the neck tilt, string spread, or perhaps neck to bridge perpendicularity is all that it takes for me to reject a guitar. Those things matter to me and yes, I find those nuances on high end guitars all the time.

Aesthetics are a just 'nice' thing SFAIAC.

QUOTE="Mozzi, post: 501076, member: 22871"]I choose a guitar with my ears and know immediately if its usable or not.

I’m the same way. Ears first, looks second (I’ve never had a PRS that couldn’t be set up exactly the way I like it, so handling’s already there).

Incidentally, I’ve usually preferred the tone of a lighter weight guitar for some reason.

Since all guitars have a resonant peak at some frequency, maybe there are differences in the resonances and resonant peaks of different wood densities? Just guessing.

@merciful-evans My process would be exactly the same except if the ones I liked didn't do it for me, I wouldn't bother with the ones that I was not keen on visually. I would leave the shop sooner than you and without purchasing. I have the time and patience to wait for the guitar that not only looks great but sounds, feels and plays great too. If I heard a guitar in the model I want but not in the colour I want, I would wait until I can get that sound (or close enough with the little nuances) but in the colour scheme I want. If it exists in say a blue guitar, then it must exist in a Red version too - at least close enough for someone who plays at home and not in a studio or gigging environment. The other aspect of course is that it can and probably does sound different through your own rig which often makes it sound better than any other too.

First its the eyes which draw me into wanting to play and then its the Ears. If it doesn't make me feel like I want to pick it up, to hear if its as stunning as it looks, then I couldn't care less how it sounds. If it looks great and then sounds great, its coming home, if not, it stays in the store and I keep looking...

Last edited:
In my experience, first i want to try something that catch my eye, but then i choose what sound best.
For my first "real" guitar i wanted a Telecaster '52 in butterscotch blonde/black pickguard, so i went to the greatest dealer in my country and tested the guitar. A real beauty, but i didn't like its sound. So i tested other 5 telecaster...and i took home a Les Paul Standard.
The next year i went for the Telecaster, tried several models and i took home a John Mayer Stratocaster!

Then i bought a PRS Tremonti even if it was violet with black back, and i really can't stand violet tops and i prefer a natural back, but the guitar sounded amazing.

Another deal breaker is clearly the price. If i find a good deal on a guitar, maybe a mint second-hand one or a demo version, then i don't really care about the finish if it sounds good in my hand.

Now i know that after a good P90 guitar, i will buy a SC594. At first i really liked the Faded Whale Blue finish (and the vast majority has a black back again ), but now i tend to like more classic finish as a McCarty Sunburst or Tobacco Sunburst. But at least i know that i will go home with a SC594...or maybe a Double Cut 594...or a Hollowbody II 594...or...

Would anyone buy an acoustic guitar with a painted neck or back? If it had a mahogany top? Tobacco sunburst that got to almost black at the edges?

I’ll be candid. I’m not a fan of the painted backs and necks. Some coloration ( stain? tint?) that is not completely opaque can look right nice. I definitely like the unpainted edge to look like binding.

Last edited:
Back