Blue with black painted backs?

I’m a violator of your aesthetic

Just not on the front :D
494357_A6-8899-4_F3_E-_A2_D5-96_DEC97176_EC.jpg

Whoops! Even did matching plates!
E9_C381_CE-_FA4_B-47_E0-_AD87-8_CC395_C89847.jpg

But hey, no worries. I have a complicated theory about this stuff. It’s called - “we like what we like” :D

I’m a violator of your aesthetic

Just not on the front :D
494357_A6-8899-4_F3_E-_A2_D5-96_DEC97176_EC.jpg

Whoops! Even did matching plates!
E9_C381_CE-_FA4_B-47_E0-_AD87-8_CC395_C89847.jpg

But hey, no worries. I have a complicated theory about this stuff. It’s called - “we like what we like” :D

We agree on the front and matching headstock veneer and top! Absolutely a gorgeous guitar! Enjoy

You can like whatever finish you like, no problem. But how do you know that black back guitar’s tone doesn’t kick everything else to the curb? I recently picked up a charcoal 594 with a black back. I won’t lie, I considered how cool it would be to see the wood grain underneath before I played it. Then I played it and I haven’t thought about it since.

You can like whatever finish you like, no problem. But how do you know that black back guitar’s tone doesn’t kick everything else to the curb? I recently picked up a charcoal 594 with a black back. I won’t lie, I considered how cool it would be to see the wood grain underneath before I played it. Then I played it and I haven’t thought about it since.
Sometimes you get to choose the guitar, sometimes the guitar choose you!

I have to be careful what I say on this subject... not that she'd ever read it. My wife bought me my 25th Anniversary C22 Semi Hollow LTD. It has a saphire blue 10 top and is gorgeous. It has 58/08s and sounds glorious. Easily one of the 2-3 best guitars I've ever played or heard. But it has the burst that goes from that beautiful blue maple to black paint... then the sides and back are all black paint. I admit that it looks elegant. But I look at the back compared to my Custom 24 with it's beautiful blue stained mahogany...

The guitar was a gift and an incredible one. I love every single thing about it, except the black paint. I think if the whole body was stained like my C24 is, it would be one of the top guitars I've ever seen here. As it is, I'm still in love with the guitar. But, having never seen it before I opened it, I was almost shocked to find the back, sides and edges of the top painted like that. Again, it has it's own thing and with the gold trim and all it's a beautiful guitar. I guess I'd call it a surprising choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to be careful what I say on this subject... not that she'd ever read it. My wife bought me my 25th Anniversary C22 Semi Hollow LTD. It has a saphire blue 10 top and is gorgeous. It has 58/08s and sounds glorious. Easily one of the 2-3 best guitars I've ever played or heard. But it has the burst that goes from that beautiful blue maple to black paint... then the sides and back are all black paint. I admit that it looks elegant. But I look at the back compared to my Custom 24 with it's beautiful blue stained mahogany...

The guitar was a gift and an incredible one. I love every single thing about it, except the black paint. I think if the whole body was stained like my C24 is, it would be one of the top guitars I've ever seen here. As it is, I'm still in love with the guitar. But, having now seen it before I opened it, I was almost shocked to find the back, sides and edges of the top painted like that. Again, it has it's own thing and with the gold trim and all it's a beautiful guitar. I guess I'd call it a surprising choice.

Wow, what a gift. Sounds beautiful.

Is it OK to not even know what the back of your guitar looks like? At all?

There’s another thread about folks not liking the wrap finishes (I love them), and IIRC. someone mentioned the solid color backs.

Since I have two Black Gold guitars, I decided to take a look and see what color the backs on mine were painted. Turns out they’re kind of an opaque brown shade. Looks nice to me.

I like the headstock veneer to be rosewood or ebony (or whatever unfinished wood the fretboard is made of) because then I don’t have to think about scratching the surface while stringing the guitar. It’s a small thing, of course, but for me it’s one less issue, and I like the look. Though if the right guitar had a matching headstock, I wouldn’t mind at all.

I am WAY too freaking easy, right? ;)

I’ll open myself up to ridicule...... this color scheme bothers the heck out of me. The body should be BLACK! save that ribbon mahogany for a guitar with a lighter top!
Paul Reed Smith Private Stock Modern Eagle V Limited Run
https://reverb.com/item/27662581-pa...mited-run?utm_source=ios-app&utm_medium=share

There's a lot to like about that guitar, IMHO. Yet somehow I can't tear my eyes away from the reversed neck pickup... instinct tells me that somebody at the factory screwed up, yet I know that's a feature on that model.

The guitar was a gift and an incredible one. I love every single thing about it, except the black paint. I think if the whole body was stained like my C24 is, it would be one of the top guitars I've ever seen here. As it is, I'm still in love with the guitar. But, having now seen it before I opened it, I was almost shocked to find the back, sides and edges of the top painted like that. Again, it has it's own thing and with the gold trim and all it's a beautiful guitar. I guess I'd call it a surprising choice.

You are SO FREAKING LUCKY.

Is it OK to not even know what the back of your guitar looks like? At all?

There’s another thread about folks not liking the wrap finishes (I love them), and IIRC. someone mentioned the solid color backs.

Since I have two Black Gold guitars, I decided to take a look and see what color the backs on mine were painted. Turns out they’re kind of an opaque brown shade. Looks nice to me.

I like the headstock veneer to be rosewood or ebony (or whatever unfinished wood the fretboard is made of) because then I don’t have to think about scratching the surface while stringing the guitar. It’s a small thing, of course, but for me it’s one less issue, and I like the look. Though if the right guitar had a matching headstock, I wouldn’t mind at all.

I am WAY too freaking easy, right? ;)
Wait a minute, you mean you don’t wipe down the back of your guitars when you are done playing?!? :)

Back