Big Changes On The Way...

Actually, I was going to have it refinished in Candy Apple Red with a black back (keeping the maple binding) but did a test fit with the new hybrid hardware and Core plastics. The Gold Top looked much more subdued and less like a junkies urine sample. So, gold it stayed.

Besides, I already did that on a PRS.

I also got my Music Man JP15 refinished in Rose Gold Sparkle.

;)

And it was soooo goooood.

It's done. @garrett brought the DGT and the 594 back - along with his Core 594 and modified SE One. We had a great jam - more on that when I talk about the SE 594...

The DGT was rewired with push-pull volume pots for individual coil splits. The neck pickup volume was placed first, followed by bridge volume, then the tone pot. Not sure what, if any, capacitor magic he worked but it sounds awesome.

I added the Mannmade PRS trem and a Core trem claw. Mannmade provided better quality springs with the trem.

The stock pickups were scuffed to have the brushed look. I replaced the polepieces with gold. I replaced the puckup rings with Core rings. Thise are attached with gols screws. The knobs are Core lampshades.

On the headstock it has SE locking tuners with gold buttons supied by Hipshot.

Pictures coming shortly. I just rolled out of bed,

The DGT was rewired with push-pull volume pots for individual coil splits. The neck pickup volume was placed first, followed by bridge volume, then the tone pot. Not sure what, if any, capacitor magic he worked but it sounds awesome.

It's pretty much this, but with the splits, uh, split into separate push/pull switches. I used a 0.033uF cap since that's what we had and it sounds good, so there ya go.

ypBggNP.jpg

The guitar rules, especially that bridge pickup. Run it through something Marshall-y and it sounds like David Grissom, which is kinda the point and no bad thing, I say. I think its versatility went up a notch with the individual splits and my brain is very happy that Mark wanted the volumes in the logical order. :p

Ok....pictures are HERE!!!! Finally got moved into my new house. The studio is setup. The Nikon battery is taking forever to charge...thus phone pictures and nothing as nice as pictures past...

But, here is my SE DGT in all it's new-found glory!!!

Despite the headstock face, I proudly kept the Cor-Tek info on the back.

Here are some close-ups of the modded parts.

These pictures are an attempt to show the push-pull combinations, lol...

Twin single coils:

Twin humbuckers:

Bridge single coil + neck humbucker. This is one of my FAVORITE tones. Once you start playing around with volume and tone positions the blends and textures are unreal.

Another favorite, back from the shredder days - bridge humbucker with neck single coil. This is another one where playing with volume ratios yields a ton of sweet tone.

And, for good measure, here's a shot of my current modified-SE group (the HBII Piezo is still stock - for now).

(front to back)

* SE 245 with 57/08s, Custom Gunstreet wiring harness, Mannmade adjustable stoptail, SE locking tuners, Hybrid hardware, Core knobs/pickup rings/strap buttons
* SE 594 with PRS 58/15LT pickups, PRS Core wiring harness, PRS OG Core 594 bridge/tail piece, Core knobs/pickup rings/strap buttons, Mannmade Vintage Locking tuners
* SE DGT - spec'd above
* SE Hollowbody II Piezo stock except Core knobs/strap buttons

Looks fantastic! I have questions...
- How did you do the headstock to make it look more 'core'?
- Do the gold polepieces do anything other than look great?
- Have you noticed an improvement by replacing the stock tremolo with the Mannmade one?

Looks fantastic! I have questions...
- How did you do the headstock to make it look more 'core'?
- Do the gold polepieces do anything other than look great?
- Have you noticed an improvement by replacing the stock tremolo with the Mannmade one?

The gold pole pieces are purely cosmetic. Pretty much all my favorite Core guitars in the past had Hybrid hardware. To me, the mix of Nickel and Gold is very "classy" and something I really like about the visuals of PRS.

YES. I just finished playing the guitar without stopping for over an hour. I was jamming over the backing track I made for the video I am shooting in a few minutes to share with y'all about the variety of tones that drip from this beast. I was SO engrossed in the tone that I kept pushin' and pullin' pots and rolling volumes and tone going every where I could want tonally. I never changed a single thing on the amp side. It is AWESOME.

I really enjoyed the tone with the stock bridge. The guitar was a bit brighter and seemed to resonate at a higher peak than now. The brass bridge has evened the response out and made the guitar creamier with a longer sustain. The tone is different. I play a type of fusion where I want the tone I now have with the DGT.

I am happier than I thought I would be with how this guitar turned out.

The gold pole pieces are purely cosmetic. Pretty much all my favorite Core guitars in the past had Hybrid hardware. To me, the mix of Nickel and Gold is very "classy" and something I really like about the visuals of PRS.

YES. I just finished playing the guitar without stopping for over an hour. I was jamming over the backing track I made for the video I am shooting in a few minutes to share with y'all about the variety of tones that drip from this beast. I was SO engrossed in the tone that I kept pushin' and pullin' pots and rolling volumes and tone going every where I could want tonally. I never changed a single thing on the amp side. It is AWESOME.

I really enjoyed the tone with the stock bridge. The guitar was a bit brighter and seemed to resonate at a higher peak than now. The brass bridge has evened the response out and made the guitar creamier with a longer sustain. The tone is different. I play a type of fusion where I want the tone I now have with the DGT.

I am happier than I thought I would be with how this guitar turned out.
Re: the polepieces - I like the way they look. Do you need special polepieces? Where were they from?

Looking forward to hearing some tones!

Actually, I was going to have it refinished in Candy Apple Red with a black back (keeping the maple binding) but did a test fit with the new hybrid hardware and Core plastics. The Gold Top looked much more subdued and less like a junkies urine sample. So, gold it stayed.

Besides, I already did that on a PRS.

I also got my Music Man JP15 refinished in Rose Gold Sparkle.

;)
Where did you get these refinished?

Where did you get these refinished?

Both of these were finished by Marty Bell. He's done many guitars for me over the years. He's done work shooting sparkles and flakes for G&L and Ernie Ball Musicman. Back in the Jackson days (for me, lol) he painted my holoflake Custom Shop Soloist. I loved the way that turned out and after seeing the various G&L and EBMM guitars I knew he would paint all my sprakle/flake guitars.

Ok, the guitar looks great and it sounds like you are very happy with the tones. All cool in my book.. Those pick-up covers are a stroke of genius. Not too scuffed, but just right. The guitar has a new/classy/"played" look going for it. I love it! Very impressive upgrades to make this a one of a kind instrument. Well done!

Back