Best Place to Buy a PRS Core model?

Shaw

Facts are stubborn; statistics are pliable.
The title says it all... but I guess by best I'm looking for price and selection. Good service is also appreciated... but since I would send it directly to PRS for any major issues... price and selection.
Oh, and a preference for online retailers -- "Bob's Guitars on South 22nd in Amarillo" won't help me much.
:)

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: moT
I always hear great things from Brian's. If you're looking for one of the large scale online retailers, Sweetwater is pretty good too.

Dave's Guitars has an amazing inventory. Brian at Brian's Guitars is awesome to deal with. Lots of peeps like Jack Gretz at NE Music. Guitar Mav, Wilcutt, John Mann, etc.

Click on this, and scroll down to the "Signature Dealers". There are a couple of big box places on here too. You can't go wrong at any of these places. That's why they call them "Signature"!

http://prsguitars.com/dealers/

The place where you find the one you like, dealing with people you like, and that gives great service, is the best place.

I buy my guitars and amps from Jack Gretz at Northeast Music; Jack's been my sole guitar/amp vendor for many years. There's no BS from Jack. He's service all the way, and doesn't try to "sell" you on something.

I'm not a guy who gets off on haggling, so I can't help you on that score.

However, looking around at other vendors' prices, Jack's prices are competitive. His Wood Library runs are wonderful, since Jack's also a very experienced luthier, he picks the good stuff for tone.

His level of personal service surpasses any of my other musical/pro audio equipment vendors (I've been in the music biz for 26 years), including places like Sweetwater and the excellent pro audio dealer Vintage King. That matters a lot to me.

And lots of guys here have had superb experiences with some of the other vendors who post in the Dealer section of the Forum.

Guitar Center, if you're looking for a used one. That's the only reason I'd buy at GC though.

You can go online and shop their used section from any store in the states. Pick one out and order, pay with the cc and have them ship it to your house or your local GC. Don't like it when it arrives? No problem, take it back to your local GC and get a refund.

Remember, don't order from the used section online. Instead, call that store and ask them if they'll take less for it. My PRS core was listed for $2200. I offered $2000 and they took it. It essentially eliminated the tax and shipping.

I bought my PRS at Wildwood Guitars, Louisville, CO. Fine guys around the shop owner Steve Mesple, especially Bruce Beard. Excellent service, extraordinary attractive pricing.

Last edited:
The place where you find the one you like.

Yep, that is the first thing I thought of.

I also like the idea of looking through the dealer links they put at the bottom of certain pages in the PRS blog pages on the main web site.

Guitar Center, if you're looking for a used one. That's the only reason I'd buy at GC though.

You can go online and shop their used section from any store in the states. Pick one out and order, pay with the cc and have them ship it to your house or your local GC. Don't like it when it arrives? No problem, take it back to your local GC and get a refund.

Remember, don't order from the used section online. Instead, call that store and ask them if they'll take less for it. My PRS core was listed for $2200. I offered $2000 and they took it. It essentially eliminated the tax and shipping.

I've done that routine with guitars before and every one I've ever bought online from GC sight unseen has had something seriously wrong with it and required a PLEK job or other serious work to get it right. Even the PRS guitars I bought that way had problems. One was unplayable so I took it to the PTC to have them get it back into shape and then I sold it. I think it is just a better idea to buy the one you want brand new and save yourself the hassle and expense of having to deal with the online gamble. If I had back all the money I ever lost buying used, not liking the guitar over time and then selling/trading it at a loss, I realize now it would have been a lot cheaper in the long run to just buy new right out of the gate. But you really have to know what you like for that to work.

Pretty much anyone you find who has a decent inventory online. I've bought several of mine from Moore Music, as well as others mentioned.

I've had nothing but positive experiences with Chuck Levin's, Guitar Sanctuary, Jack's Northeast, John Mann's Guitar Vault, Martin Music, Parkway Music, Sweetwater, and Willcutt Guitars. I'm sure there are some that i'm leaving out

My local shop, nstuffmusic.com carries PRS, not a huge selection, nor are they a "Signature" dealer, but they are total pros and Jason - guitar department manager is great to deal with. Never had a bad experience in my 36 years of buying gear from them, they'll also negotiate on pricing too. And the setups are done prior to sale - by two inhouse luthiers or Dave (Reb Beach's guitar tech).

I've done that routine with guitars before and every one I've ever bought online from GC sight unseen has had something seriously wrong with it and required a PLEK job or other serious work to get it right. Even the PRS guitars I bought that way had problems. One was unplayable so I took it to the PTC to have them get it back into shape and then I sold it. I think it is just a better idea to buy the one you want brand new and save yourself the hassle and expense of having to deal with the online gamble. If I had back all the money I ever lost buying used, not liking the guitar over time and then selling/trading it at a loss, I realize now it would have been a lot cheaper in the long run to just buy new right out of the gate. But you really have to know what you like for that to work.

I've bought one this way, and it had a single photo of it online. Here's the thing though, there's zero risk involved. You have 30 days to return it, for any reason. Just keep the receipt. In my mind, if you don't love that guitar within 30 days.... it's a dud. Get a refund and that's all she wrote.

Some of us can't justify (or afford) to drop $3500 on a brand new PRS. I was fortunate to buy the one PRS I own at $2000. The ONLY reason I could afford that was because I got a bonus at work, which would have been better off in our savings account but my wife insisted that I should reward myself.

Buy Local if you can. Keep the small guys in business.
I'm all about the small guys, I really am, but they generally have more of a problem being competitive in prices.

I'm supporting the "home town" by buying USA made guitars, instead of Japanese, Korean, Mexican, etc.

Back