Best/favorite PRS Pickup Over the Years?

The Vela D type single coil is the best PRS pickup i've come across. LOVE the 57/08s as well, they also have incredible split tones.

I love the vintage and creamy tone of my neck 57/08. Like, but meh, the bridge one because I like hot pickups in the bridge. Despite that, it´s a wonderful PAF.
Surprisingly, lately I´m playing a lot my SE Cu24 and I think: "hey, these korean 85/15 are really punchy/powerful/modern but transparent pickups. Usually you have one thing or the other, but these have the best of both"

Les, I was waiting for you to weigh in on this subject and your response didn't quite live up to the hype I built up in my imagination.

edit: In fairness I've read at least 3 of your responses to the exact same question

Yup. Figured I said enough about it, and folks are sick of hearing from me! ;)

EDIT: Also, what I value in a pickup isn't just how it sounds with the volume on 10. It's also how it sounds when the volume is rolled back, and how it works with the front ends of several amps.

So my criteria might be different from lots of other folks, and especially those who turn the guitar all the way up and leave it there.

Last edited:
There is no 'BETTER'.

It's all personal taste. They are all great pickups.

Personally I agree with bodia on \m/ and Santana.
I also like my HFS/VB set.
85/15 definitely have their place, just not so much for me.

Here are my favorites:

Old Artist Treble and Bass (Alnico 4)
Santana Treble and Bass
DGT Treble and Bass

The guitar does make a difference, but the old Artist series pickups are WONDERFUL and sorely underappreciated. They are uncovered, and usually have gold poles. A friend had an old PRS Artist (4?) with the gold birds and I loved the sound and feel of that guitar. Found a mint set on eBay. I pulled the DII's out of my CU22AP (too compressed with the band---just had no dynamics) and dropped in the A4's and the guitar is perfect.

Love all of the 5x/xx series, but my favorite is still the 57/08 Neck, 59/09 Bridge combo. Can't really go wrong with any of them.

Another vote for 57/08's, if you find the right pair they're magical.

But a DII covered neck pickup is a wonderful thing, and Mira's are highly underrated. The HFS is a classic for the metal/hardrock crowd.. it's like a passive EMG 81 but with personality. McCarty's are rad too. Hell, most of 'em are great depending on what you're using 'em for. I suppose if I ever buy the brightest and thinnest PRS in existence that 53/10 will work out nicely.
Great post. I find most of the pickups to sound great in the right guitars. I like the HFS in standards. And not just for hard rock. The Mira is a great pickup that covers a lot of ground. I'm a huge fan of the \m/ pickup as well. For any amount of crunch to high gain, I can make that pickup work in most guitars.

I've not owned most of the range... but my 57/08's are safe in my SE Akesson. The legend surrounding them is that they're an early, perhaps even prototype, unetched version. So naturally they sound better than most, because we all know the etching disrupts the magnetic field of the pickup ;)

Mira pickups were fair I would say, although the guitar they were in was quite bright, so it's hard to truly judge.

The S2 7's are without a doubt THE pickups to be in my S2 Semi 22, but in my S2 Satin 22 the bridge was only decent, switching to a 59/09 was an improvement. Neck 7 was still a perfect fit.

As stated above, there are definitely many good ones, often depends on finding the right pairing with a guitar.

I love McCarty pickups in an actual McCarty, but they are a bit finicky in other guitars. I tried putting a set of McCarty pickups in my Zack Myers and couldn't get them out fast enough -- they were mud city in that guitar, especially on the bridge pickup. I think they're intentionally wound a bit dark to fatten up a double-cutaway guitar, and in a semi-hollow single-cutaway it's just too much.

True dat! Jack Gretz and I put a set of McCartys in my P22 a few years ago, and they worked wonders for that guitar. However, I put a set in my Custom 24, and it just didn't work that well. I'll be putting Dragons back in that guitar with the 5-way rotary. Still, I've had much better luck with those than the later PRS offerings.

Today I played my 20th PS Anniversary Ltd with all of my amps. Love the Narrow 408s with the NF middle pickup.

So today these are my favorites. My problem, of course, is that the 57/08s on my McCarty Singlecut are also my favorites, and the 85/15s on my CU24 30th are my favorites, and oh yeah, there are the 58/15s on the McCarty and uh...

You get the idea. ;)

Today I played my 20th PS Anniversary Ltd with all of my amps. Love the Narrow 408s with the NF middle pickup.

So today these are my favorites. My problem, of course, is that the 57/08s on my McCarty Singlecut are also my favorites, and the 85/15s on my CU24 30th are my favorites, and oh yeah, there are the 58/15s on the McCarty and uh...

You get the idea. ;)
Each one is suited to that model.
Also nice that every guitar you own has its own voice.

I am all about the 57/08. They provide me with the tone I always wanted to hear. Just enough bite with a tiny bit of twang (at that's the way I hear it).

I've never grown bored or tired of 57/08s.

I've played almost all. By far the 57/08's are my favorites.

Another vote for 57/08's, if you find the right pair they're magical.

I have played most of them. I like the 57/08's best

Ya, what they said... ^^^^^^^

Each one is suited to that model.
Also nice that every guitar you own has its own voice.

It's nice for sure, but I realize we all have different needs.

As a guy who doesn't tour behind records, but who uses the guitars for studio work, it always made sense to me to have several models in order to have different tones on tap. I don't need backups, or guitars in different tunings to be handed to me on a stage. Heck, my guitars rarely leave home.

If I was known for a particular sound, or toured and needed backups or guitars for different tunings, I'd want more than one of the same model.

Back