Best/favorite PRS Pickup Over the Years?

Mole351

Just curious - which PRS pickups over the years are generally considered the"best" or favorites? I ask this realizing it's a completely subjective question. From what I can tell folks really seem to dig the 85/15's now and how much "better" they are. But then I read things like the 59/09's (or was it 53/10's?) were discontinued because of lack of materials and those were really the coveted ones.

I obviously don't have a lot of experience with different pu's (only 85/15 and 57/08)...so was wondering if folks had their choice of any oh from any time period - which would it be?

The newest ones!:D
Like you say, it's all a matter of taste. PRS hit it right when they started with the 5708's and done several vintage style since that will all appeal to people's ears differently. I like a 5909 bridge, 5708 neck generally speaking. But it all depends on what I'm after at a given moment too.

58/15s are the only stock pickup of any brand that I've never wanted to change.

Even the guitar I bought with the intent of installing a high output bridge... I liked the 58/15 so much I just couldn't do it... I wound up buying another guitar so I wouldn't have to.

If you asked 10 different players you might get 10 different answers, but I'd speculate 57/08 and 85/15 would get named most often.

For me, it's the 58/15 LT and that's because I prefer bright, lower output humbuckers.

57/08 / Modern Eagle
Mira
Dragon 2

Hell all the ones I have are killer in the guitars I have

85/15 or 58/15. I've tried everything from 57/08 on upwards and liked the 15s the best.

Starlas, 53/10s, 85/15s, 57/08s, possibly in that order, but depends on the specific guitar in many cases.

McCarty - IMHO, the best they've come up with thus far. But I can't afford a new 594, so I haven't yet checked out the 58/15LTs. I've tried the 57/08 and the 53/10, and really didn't like either of them.

McCarty - IMHO, the best they've come up with thus far. But I can't afford a new 594, so I haven't yet checked out the 58/15LTs. I've tried the 57/08 and the 53/10, and really didn't like either of them.

I love McCarty pickups in an actual McCarty, but they are a bit finicky in other guitars. I tried putting a set of McCarty pickups in my Zack Myers and couldn't get them out fast enough -- they were mud city in that guitar, especially on the bridge pickup. I think they're intentionally wound a bit dark to fatten up a double-cutaway guitar, and in a semi-hollow single-cutaway it's just too much.

Another vote for 57/08's, if you find the right pair they're magical.

But a DII covered neck pickup is a wonderful thing, and Mira's are highly underrated. The HFS is a classic for the metal/hardrock crowd.. it's like a passive EMG 81 but with personality. McCarty's are rad too. Hell, most of 'em are great depending on what you're using 'em for. I suppose if I ever buy the brightest and thinnest PRS in existence that 53/10 will work out nicely.

Back