Battle of the Hollowbodies!!!

CJM3175

I recently returned from a profitable trip in Vegas and am looking to reward myself. I want a hollowbody PRS, but cannot decide between a Hollowbody II, SC-J, or JA-15 model. I currently have an acoustic, an electric bass, and of course my PRS SC245 (see my avatar). I want to add another electric guitar that will maximize the diversity of my collection, and the idea of adding a hollowbody currently intrigues me the most. Let me add that none of the PRS dealers near me carry any of these three models, so please enlighten me my PRS brethren. What are the tonal/tangible differences with these models? If you had a blank check from Paul Reed Smith, but had to choose from one of these 3 models, which would you choose and why? Bonus points to any suggestions from people who own at least two of these three types of hollowbody guitars!

A buddy of mine just bought an HB2& a JA15. Both are fantastic. I think I would do either an HB2 or SC-J, the JA-15 is just an absolute beautiful beast of a guitar but a little too big for me personally. I think the SC-J is just so cool too

Don't forget about the 2nd hand (discontinued) Archtop option. With some upgraded pickups (57/08, 58/15, 53/10) this would be a seriously killer axe :)

I have never had the opportunity to play an SC-J or a JA-15. I do however own an HB I (spruce top with archtop pickups) and an HB II with 57/08's and a piezo. Both are beautiful sounding (but different sounding) guitars. You cannot go wrong with either one and I am sure they would make your collection more versatile. They sound nothing like the 3 PRS solid body guitars that I own.

I'd go with an HBII with Piezo. I own an AP McCarty HB with piezo and love it. The only thing that would elevate it would be if it was a spruce.

I'm a big fan of Singlecut Hollowbodies. My SC HB II is my all-time favorite PRS. I have been tempted on several occasions on a JA, and would have jumped if it had a piezo. I've never played an SC-J, so I can't chime in there. If the piezo means nothing to you, get a JA and slap a Bigsby on it!

I have an HBI w/piezo (spruce), an HBIIs w/piezo (maple) and a couple Archtops one w/piezo (maple, think acoustic thickness HBs) .

The spruce HBI has a better acoustic sound through the piezo than do the maple topped HBII or Archtops.

Not to be too much of a smart a**, but what exactly does "better acoustic sound" mean? Do you mean it sounds more like an acoustic guitar than the maple top? Or is there another "better" you mean?

Thanks.

It's a fair question.

All piezos sound more 'electronic' than even a fairly good acoustic guitar properly recorded. The spruce top piezo sounds closer to an acoustic than a maple top piezo does, more like an acoustic electric than the maple tops sound.

Last edited:
Back