NGD Mystery Guitar

RC Mike

This is fun! I took a look at Guitar Center on Sunday morning, and saw a cryptic listing. “Used PRS Special 22 Hollowbody” Well, there’s never been such a thing, right? There weren’t any pictures. Their description just said “Made in the USA. This product includes a case.” That’s usually a good indicator that something is a Core or better.

So I added it to my cart, in order to check the serial number. Started with a 09 and a SN that fit in the 2009-range. Gotta be a Special 22 from then, or perhaps a a Hollowbody. So why not buy it? GC has an excellent return policy. If it turns out to be an SE, it can just go back.

Yesterday I waited patiently to hear that it had shipped. Nope. Got a message from the store, saying that they discovered it wasn’t a hollowbody. They wanted to know what I wanted to do. I gave them a call, and the fellow who handles these sorts of things had left for the day. Got ahold of him this afternoon. I asked if it had three pickups, and he said it was an HSH. So cool, a Special 22! He also said I’d be quite happy with it. He offered to send me some photos. GC’s email is wonky, so he texted them to me tonight. Very nice of him to do that!

u69JZiy.jpg

Kg4TYyB.jpg

gNykOnK.jpg

It’ll be here on Saturday.

This is fun! I took a look at Guitar Center on Sunday morning, and saw a cryptic listing. “Used PRS Special 22 Hollowbody” Well, there’s never been such a thing, right? There weren’t any pictures. Their description just said “Made in the USA. This product includes a case.” That’s usually a good indicator that something is a Core or better.

So I added it to my cart, in order to check the serial number. Started with a 09 and a SN that fit in the 2009-range. Gotta be a Special 22 from then, or perhaps a a Hollowbody. So why not buy it? GC has an excellent return policy. If it turns out to be an SE, it can just go back.

Yesterday I waited patiently to hear that it had shipped. Nope. Got a message from the store, saying that they discovered it wasn’t a hollowbody. They wanted to know what I wanted to do. I gave them a call, and the fellow who handles these sorts of things had left for the day. Got ahold of him this afternoon. I asked if it had three pickups, and he said it was an HSH. So cool, a Special 22! He also said I’d be quite happy with it. He offered to send me some photos. GC’s email is wonky, so he texted them to me tonight. Very nice of him to do that!

u69JZiy.jpg

Kg4TYyB.jpg

gNykOnK.jpg

It’ll be here on Saturday.
Nice

Seems like a helluva deal and seldom seen. I honestly don’t remember these at all. Fun!

I've only seen one other for sale in the last year or so. I don't think they were around long enough to even make the annual PRS price list. PUs are likely to be either Swamp Ash or 245.

Dang, that's smoking! No potato pics either. GC worked with you, and you WON!!!!

Let us know how it plays in person, there is hope for us norms to score if we keep up the hunt.

The fellow at GC was really great. He took pics for me with his own phone. GC's e-mail system didn't let him attach them and the store doesn't get great cell service, so he texted me the photos when he got home from work. Very, very kind of him. I asked if there was anyone I could send a letter of appreciation to, mentioning how he'd gone the extra mile for me. He told me just to enjoy the guitar.

GC gets a bad rap at times, but I've found them to be excellent the last couple of years. I bought a Custom 50 amp that didn't ship with the foot switch. A call to the store resulted in a promise to look around, which I didn't think would amount to anything. A week later I got a call saying they found it and were shipping it out. The MDT I bought this spring had the tubes removed prior to shipping and wrapped up safely, which I thought was very thoughtful. I called the store to say thank you and the folks there were very gracious, too.

There are definitely some GC employees who care and do a great job. They tend to be the ones who have good work ethic to begin with, not just people that want to work in a guitar shop because it’s fun or cool. We had a great store here for awhile with several great employees. They all moved on to other things. Things fell off after that. I stopped going much after those guys left. The gear selection went downhill as well.

Back