NGD Mystery Guitar

Beautiful guitar, but what's wrong with it that GC discounted it so much? Or does their appraiser not know what he's got until it's gone
GC might have paid the previous owner just $500 for it (or equivalent on a trade-in), and that person didn't know what they had. And neither did GC. It happens sometimes (though getting rarer, now that the internet can tell every small pawn shop and lawn-mower repair guy what a guitar is potentially worth...).

GC might have paid the previous owner just $500 for it (or equivalent on a trade-in), and that person didn't know what they had. And neither did GC. It happens sometimes (though getting rarer, now that the internet can tell every small pawn shop and lawn-mower repair guy what a guitar is potentially worth...).

That's about it.

Usually the errors GC makes work the opposite way, where you see an S2 listed at a Core price. Sellers tend to not say anything in that situation, where whomever sold this Special to GC didn't know what it was and neither did GC. Obscure models lend themselves to that sort of thing, where neither party knows the market-value because there are so few comps.

As far as GC pricing goes I have found our local one to be all over the place with most of the popular stuff being above a price point I would consider.
Think Gibson, Fender, PRS etc.

But some of the less common gear like my Carvin and Brian Moore being a little more oddball and obscure being a deal.
In fact my recent Brian Moore was over half the price of the cheapest one for sale on Reverb.
So it came home with me...lol.

Got the guitar this afternoon. I was doing some yard work and figured it could wait until this evening. I spent a couple of hours getting it cleaned up and set up.

Used guitars are funny things. Some tell you a story, and this one is one of those. The fretboard has a fair bit of finger-wear on the board above the third fret. Someone played a lot of chords on this—it looks a little like an old maple fretboard that’s gotten a lot of play. I don’t have any other rosewood boards that have wear like this. It’s a 2009 guitar, clearly somebody loved playing it.

There’s just a bit of wear on the 2nd fret. Whoever owned this had a relatively light-touch.

They also kept it really well cared for. There are a few little spots of wear in the places you’d expect, but not many. That contrasts with how much it was played.

The other bit of contrast is how the pickup covers and bridge are pitted from corrosion. Rust on the strings that were on it, too. It hasn’t been played for a while, so its wear came earlier in its life. I’m guessing it hasn’t been played much in a while.

The hangtag is in the case, but it’s the wrong case. The case is for a 2005 Custom 24 with an Artist package.

I haven’t played it enough to say much, but it feels very nice. The humbuckers are Swamp Ash PUs. It’s light. Has a WF neck, which was an option on these Specials. WT was the default.

What a fun purchase!

Back