Back in (guitar playing) Action after a tendonitis

Had my surgery yesterday morning.

It was a complete success even though it turned out to be a much bigger deal than expected.
The surgeon said it was the worst case of this kind he had ever seen in his entire career.
(Chief of small extremity surgery at HSS in NYC, so him saying that was significant.)
:eek:

Problem is solved, now I just have to take care of the cuts and let them heal.
I've been down that road before. This was the 7th "procedure" I've had in my life.
He told me under no circumstances go near a guitar until he sees me again in 10 days.
After that, I should be good to go.
Maybe a celebratory guitar will be in order...
:)

Last edited:
Good to hear all went well. Heal well my friend, take your time as frustrating as it will be.

Had my surgery yesterday morning.

It was a complete success even though it turned out to be a much bigger deal than expected.
The surgeon said it was the worst case of this kind he had ever seen in his entire career.
(Chief of small extremity surgery at HSS in NYC, so him saying that was significant.)
:eek:

Problem is solved, now I just have to take care of the cuts and let them heal.
I've been down that road before. This was the 7th "procedure" I've had in my life.
He told me under no circumstances go near a guitar until he sees me again in 10 days.
After that, I should be good to go.
Maybe a celebratory guitar will be in order...
:)
Glad to hear it! I agree, a celebratory guitar sounds like a solid plan!

So what are some good stretches and warm up exercises one should do to help prevent injuries?

So what are some good stretches and warm up exercises one should do to help prevent injuries?

People love to mock this whole Petrucci video, and I used to think this stretching routine was nuts when I was young, but I've grown to appreciate these stretches and find them very helpful along with starting off a playing session slowly.

But I'm also in the surgery club. Had a pulley on my right thumb reconstructed in 2016. It had become loose which caused the tendon to bounce around and cause a ton of pain. Probably could have prevented it if I'd been kinder to my hands. I injured my thumb while digging up a bush in the yard, but I didn't really lay off of guitar, yard work, cycling, weightlifting, dishes, laundry, computer use, phone use. When I thought about it, I was really hard on my hands! I think once the internal swelling finally went down, the pulley had stretched and couldn't readjust. Lucky for me I was only out of commission weeks, not months.

Just another cautionary tale on the pile, but let's all remember to be kinder to ourselves!

People love to mock this whole Petrucci video, and I used to think this stretching routine was nuts when I was young, but I've grown to appreciate these stretches and find them very helpful along with starting off a playing session slowly.

But I'm also in the surgery club. Had a pulley on my right thumb reconstructed in 2016. It had become loose which caused the tendon to bounce around and cause a ton of pain. Probably could have prevented it if I'd been kinder to my hands. I injured my thumb while digging up a bush in the yard, but I didn't really lay off of guitar, yard work, cycling, weightlifting, dishes, laundry, computer use, phone use. When I thought about it, I was really hard on my hands! I think once the internal swelling finally went down, the pulley had stretched and couldn't readjust. Lucky for me I was only out of commission weeks, not months.

Just another cautionary tale on the pile, but let's all remember to be kinder to ourselves!
Love that video. In fear I’m headed down that same road with my thumb/tendons. In a brace for 4 weeks, then we’ll see where we go.

Thank you all for the good thoughts and wishes.

The Petrucci video contains good advice.
Be careful when stretching the wrists and thumbs though.
The human body can dish out more than it can take.

Best of luck to all of us who are having hand problems.

(...and any other health problems too...)

I know I'm fairly new here, but I've seen a lot, done a lot
and been down the bad stuff road quite a few times.
Anybody who wants to talk, my mailbox is always open.

Just sayin'...

Great news, Tony! Hope your recovery goes well.

At a VIP event, Nita Strauss showed us some stretches. It's all done one-handed - you don't pull back on your hand. A bunch of us must have looked confused when she said that because she said, "You're giving me these 'huh?' looks." Turns out she was told that when you pull to extend the stretch, it's easy to overtorque and injure yourself. This gives you the stretch w/o the injury risk. I do these w/o the guitar on a strap, even on my lap - just feels like I get a better stretch. (FWIW, I didn't actually watch this video, just skimmed to make sure they were in there, so let's see how good my memory is.)

Love that video. In fear I’m headed down that same road with my thumb/tendons. In a brace for 4 weeks, then we’ll see where we go.

Damn bro hope it gets better soon...Went to the doc yesterday myself and found out I have "Trigger Finger" in my third finger on my fretting hand.

I'm in a panic because, as most of you know...I practice everyday. I also stretch my hands religiously. The doc told me lifting heavy grocery bags can also cause the same type of damage. And suggested carrying bags at the larger joints, wrist elbow. He gave me a splint and told me not to lift anythintng with my hand.

He did say if I "have to play" keep it to a maximum of 10 minute intervals then ice and massage the joint in my hand afterward. I've gotta go back for a follow-up in two weeks.

I hate that so many of us are having similar issues. It's all part of becoming a "vintage" guitar player I suppose...but man does it suck!!!

Damn bro hope it gets better soon...Went to the doc yesterday myself and found out I have "Trigger Finger" in my third finger on my fretting hand.

I'm in a panic because, as most of you know...I practice everyday. I also stretch my hands religiously. The doc told me lifting heavy grocery bags can also cause the same type of damage. And suggested carrying bags at the larger joints, wrist elbow. He gave me a splint and told me not to lift anythintng with my hand.

He did say if I "have to play" keep it to a maximum of 10 minute intervals then ice and massage the joint in my hand afterward. I've gotta go back for a follow-up in two weeks.

I hate that so many of us are having similar issues. It's all part of becoming a "vintage" guitar player I suppose...but man does it suck!!!
Be well, brother!

Back