Back in (guitar playing) Action after a tendonitis

Damn bro hope it gets better soon...Went to the doc yesterday myself and found out I have "Trigger Finger" in my third finger on my fretting hand.

I'm in a panic because, as most of you know...I practice everyday. I also stretch my hands religiously. The doc told me lifting heavy grocery bags can also cause the same type of damage. And suggested carrying bags at the larger joints, wrist elbow. He gave me a splint and told me not to lift anythintng with my hand.

He did say if I "have to play" keep it to a maximum of 10 minute intervals then ice and massage the joint in my hand afterward. I've gotta go back for a follow-up in two weeks.

I hate that so many of us are having similar issues. It's all part of becoming a "vintage" guitar player I suppose...but man does it suck!!!

I don't know if mine was caused/aggravated by carry bags like that, catching when I coached baseball (I suspect this had something to do w/it), but my doc said diabetics seem to be prone to it. I had the trigger finger diagnosed before I found out I was diabetic. When I talked to the doc after, he mentioned the connection and said that was probably why the cortisone shots didn't work for me - I got temporary relief, but it only lasted a few weeks.

Hope yours turns out well!

I don't know if mine was caused/aggravated by carry bags like that, catching when I coached baseball (I suspect this had something to do w/it), but my doc said diabetics seem to be prone to it. I had the trigger finger diagnosed before I found out I was diabetic. When I talked to the doc after, he mentioned the connection and said that was probably why the cortisone shots didn't work for me - I got temporary relief, but it only lasted a few weeks.

Hope yours turns out well!

I really think mine happened from overuse from playing so much. Both of my hands got pretty banged up in my younger days from smashing into trees on dirt bikes and the occasional fist to cuff...I did a lot of damage apparently.

Thanks bro...hope yours continues to improve too my friend.

I went into HSS in Manhattan this morning for the follow up and to get the stitches removed.
Manhattan is a ghost town. It is very weird. Store gates down, almost zero cars, almost zero pedestrians.

Stitches are out and they said the level of healing is astounding.
(I heal well. In 2012 I had 5 bypasses done and 8 weeks later I was out gigging)

I asked them if I will be able to play guitar now that I've had my wrist fixed.
They said, "of course you will."
Then I said that was great because I couldn't play before...
I figured they could use a laugh about now.
It worked.
They laughed and thanked me for it.

Try to keep your senses of humor
in these scary times
and pay it forward.
:)

I went into HSS in Manhattan this morning for the follow up and to get the stitches removed.
Manhattan is a ghost town. It is very weird. Store gates down, almost zero cars, almost zero pedestrians.

(I heal well. In 2012 I had 5 bypasses done and 8 weeks later I was out gigging)

It worked.

in these scary times
and pay it forward.

That's great news! Wow! It must be a freaky feeling. I've been to Manhattan several times over the years...I can't imagine what it must feel like being there now. Must have a very "I am Legend" eerie vibe these days. Good luck with your recovery!!

It worked.

in these scary times
and pay it forward.

Great news Tony. Be safe.

It worked.

in these scary times
and pay it forward.

Great news!

Great news, Tony! Hope your recovery goes well.

At a VIP event, Nita Strauss showed us some stretches. It's all done one-handed - you don't pull back on your hand. A bunch of us must have looked confused when she said that because she said, "You're giving me these 'huh?' looks." Turns out she was told that when you pull to extend the stretch, it's easy to overtorque and injure yourself. This gives you the stretch w/o the injury risk. I do these w/o the guitar on a strap, even on my lap - just feels like I get a better stretch. (FWIW, I didn't actually watch this video, just skimmed to make sure they were in there, so let's see how good my memory is.)

wow this is a great video and stretch. Thanks for posting!

Back