Are these defects or just the way the PRS 594 was made?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Revelation, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Bowtiefanatc

Bowtiefanatc #NeverGibson

No defects found from my eyes.

2. Revelation

Revelation New Member

If you're spending $4,000 on a guitar you want to be happy with the small details. For clarification this is a guitar that I saw in a music store that I was trying out. I didn't see such a gap by the toggle switch on another McCarty 594, buy maybe its because this guitar is much lighter in color and it was more noticeable.

LSchefman likes this.
  3. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

No worries mate.
    Everyone here just wants you to have a great guitar. We all see things a bit differently, and we're just having a bit of fun whilst we do it.
    :)

alantig, Alnus Rubra, WA Paul and 2 others like this.
  4. BlueWhale

BlueWhale New Member

I’m not discounting your opinion or you wants, needs or desires. Was just stating my opinion, the relief for the switch is like that on many of the 594 examples I’ve seen. The centering of the switch is very easily fixed. The dots are an example of a product of nature.

5. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy

There is a difference between wanting a great and flawless guitar and being overly picky. Whether you consider the design to be a 'flaw' or not is immaterial here, its easy to confirm whether something is designed a certain way and, if its present on EVERY guitar, then its a design element - not a flaw. As everyone can see, the toggle is the same on all 'like' models which would indicate that its not flawed.

Someone may not like the design or the implementation of the toggle on this case but the fact its no different from others would certainly prove its not flawed its not a defect etc...

shimmilou and LSchefman like this.
  6. HANGAR18

HANGAR18 What Would Evel Knievel Do?

After you bang the guitar against a few Marshall stacks and get some beer splashed on it by a rowdy audience member, you won't care about the toggle switch route anymore.

grausch, Alnus Rubra, garrett and 4 others like this.
  7. AaeCee

AaeCee New Member

But guys, it's not even that. As @LSchefman so concisely outlined in his post, that's absolutely the way it was designed, and that one looks perfect.

veinbuster likes this.
  8. BlueWhale

BlueWhale New Member

Ok, I guess I’m missing something. I thought he was speaking of how the switch is not centered within the relief. It is, or at least the pic suggests, offset slightly to the left. This was what I was referring to

Hence, imperfections so small it’s nit picking

#28 BlueWhale, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  9. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

That guitar is a fake , shoddy should never see the light of day ;( , It must have been snuck out at night when QC and security was asleep
    Please sent it to me for proper disposal :)

Alnus Rubra and Dirty_Boogie like this.
  10. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

No, he's talking about the routing for the switch. See how it doesn't go all the way around the switch/washer? There's a indent about 80% around, but nothing where it is closest to the edge/drop-off of the bevel.

[​IMG]

I blew up a pic of my old DC-594 and it appears to have the bevel all the way around.

[​IMG]

Revelation, grausch and Dirty_Boogie like this.
  11. BlueWhale

BlueWhale New Member

Yes, I saw that....that’s either a shallow relief or lost during the body sanding.

Alnus Rubra and bodia like this.
  12. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Agreed.

13. BlueWhale

BlueWhale New Member

Looking back and a few posts, I did a poor job of trying to convey what I meant.

Personally......I’d play the crap out of that one.

bodia likes this.
  14. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

The nature of the carve. Goes to show that these beauties are hand finished!

bodia likes this.
  15. Bsic

Bsic NaN

I can understand when you first get it, giving it that thorough look over and being concerned. I’ve had it happen in a few guitars. My R9 had some scratches on the headstock when I got it, as just one example. I was irate and the store I bought it from said no worries- return it no problem.

I’m incredibly glad I didn’t. That was 12 years ago. It was my main guitar for the next several years and still one of the few that I would never, ever consider parting with. And I almost never gave it a chance.

Point being you likely have an amazing guitar. You could return it but IMHO I wouldn’t sweat it- go play the snot out of it and enjoy!

16. merciful-evans

merciful-evans Portsmouth uk

The only flaw I see is your flat frets. They need crowning.

17. Shawn@PRS

Staff Member Moderator

PRS often gets stuck in a no win situation, let me explain. We use CNC machines to rough out the bodies and necks, but after that, each guitar is hand sanded, hand stained, hand sprayed, hand buffed, etc. So on one hand we have folks saying, "PRS are too precise and they lack soul" and on the other hand we have people saying "This isn't precise enough". These guitars are made of (mostly) wood, by the hands of humans. Even though our tolerances are extremely tight, there will be slight variations from instrument to instrument.

alantig, AaeCee, Mozzi and 8 others like this.
  18. Steve Dombroski

Steve Dombroski New Member

I've heard this before. That PRS guitars are "too nice", "too easy to play", "too perfect".....I always say the same thing. You're right...but it's because of those things that I've been able to better identify who I am as a player and let that shine through, versus the guitar shaping me into someone I am not.

19. Shawn@PRS

Staff Member Moderator

I've had people tell me that they WANT to fight with their guitar. I don't get it, but OK

alantig, AaeCee, Mozzi and 3 others like this.
  20. garrett

garrett Lurkin'

That's how mine looks in a straight-ahead pic, but when I looked in person it's similar to what Revelation posted. It's just because of the switch position in relation to the carve.

LOL

One of my faves.

bodia and [email protected] like this.