Are these defects or just the way the PRS 594 was made?

I've had people tell me that they WANT to fight with their guitar. I don't get it, but OK

One of the many reasons I buy PRS guitars (and I have a lot of them) is because I do NOT want to fight with my guitars (like Jack White so famously stated). Not only are the guitars made in a way that they do not absorb energy (allowing the instrument to resonate) but they do not demand too much energy out of the player who is playing the instrument. Thus, PRS guitars have a much more "effortless" feel than all those other brands out there. The energy that you devote to playing a PRS guitar (I recommend the Core line) for the most part, goes directly into making music. More music, less struggle.

PRS-2019_McCarty594-ltd-Copperhead-02.jpg

Am I the only one that feels the 594 neck is a little bulky and not as easy to play on? I find my Les Paul and Kiesel SH 575 necks easy than the PRS 594. I could get used to the PRS neck and play on it but it had definitely a more classic 50's neck. The Fender American 50's Strat and Telecaster guitars have similar thicker necks.

Am I the only one that feels the 594 neck is a little bulky and not as easy to play on? I find my Les Paul and Kiesel SH 575 necks easy than the PRS 594. I could get used to the PRS neck and play on it but it had definitely a more classic 50's neck. The Fender American 50's Strat and Telecaster guitars have similar thicker necks.

If that works for you, great! I sold all my Les Paul's and bought 594's because I like the neck carves better as well as the shorter scale length..

No, you're not the only one. I scored a wicked gold-top singlecut 594 soapbar this summer--even though the fit & finish were amazing and so were the tones, I couldn't jive with the neck. And I love the "pattern" neck on my 408 & McCarty, so I didn't think it would be that far off... but it was (to me).

Different strokes for different folks, as they say; ain't nothing wrong with just not bonding with an instrument, regardless of how fancy, expensive, or sought-after it might be. But that's fine, I've still got my eyes on a Custom 22, Hollowbody II Piezo, and who knows what else...

No, you're not the only one. I scored a wicked gold-top singlecut 594 soapbar this summer--even though the fit & finish were amazing and so were the tones, I couldn't jive with the neck. And I love the "pattern" neck on my 408 & McCarty, so I didn't think it would be that far off... but it was (to me).

Different strokes for different folks, as they say; ain't nothing wrong with just not bonding with an instrument, regardless of how fancy, expensive, or sought-after it might be. But that's fine, I've still got my eyes on a Custom 22, Hollowbody II Piezo, and who knows what else...

necks can catch us all off guard. Because I have such a variety of them, I thought I could cope with pretty much anything. But no! I cant use a Silver Sky. Its not even a vastly different sort of neck, but it defeated me all the same.

Every one is different and I am sure some will feel the neck to be too bulky or have other issues with the Pattern Vintage neck.

I however find it great! It feels 'broken in' already to me, that its perhaps worn asymmetrically over years of playing - that as well as the rolled edges of the Fretboard. I am not that fussy with necks personally and as long as they are not too thick or too thin, I don't have an issue. I can happily play my Custom 24 with its Pattern Thin neck and pick up my 594 and find it different but not different enough that it causes me issues. Its a momentary 'oh this feels a bit different but I like it' and then its trying to get used to where all the switches/knobs are. Its worse going from the 594 to the Cu24 as I am more used to the LP layout but not because of the neck. I find myself trying to change Pick-ups with a 3-way switch on the horn and then having to look to find the 5-way.

To be honest, all the necks I have (all 4 of the 'Pattern' types) are within what I would consider the parameters I want. Not too wide, too thick, too narrow or too thin. The Custom 24 is perhaps the most 'unfamiliar' because I spent many years with just my acoustic which is fatter and wider - despite being more 'electric' feeling than most acoustics. It still doesn't cause me issues because its not thin and quite flat like a wizard neck but its still within my parameters.

Maybe its because I was used to thicker necks in general and, like I said, spent many years with just an acoustic before getting back into electric guitars but for me, I am happy if a guitar falls within a range and the 594 fits into that range. Its so 'broken' in that I have serious gas to add more 594's to my collection and whilst I would add another Cu24, I would prefer a Pattern Regular but if the rest of the specs I want are with a Pattern Thin, I wouldn't hesitate to buy.

I however find it great! It feels 'broken in' already to me, that its perhaps worn asymmetrically over years of playing - that as well as the rolled edges of the Fretboard.

The rolled edge is vitally important. Most players love a generously rolled edge.

I personally do not. An edge break/radius of .020" is more than enough. Any more takes away vital playing surface from the fingerboard. Its the main reason I cannot get along with Fenders.

Back