Are the core line customs worth the money?

Sorry if this discussion has already happened. Just curious what owners or previous owners of CU22/CU24's think about the value of those guitars.

I saw one on sweetwater that had my tongue hanging out. But $$$$ is pretty steep.

So what do you think...have you gotten your money's worth out of your CU22/CU24?

Did you really think you were going to get any response in the negative? :rolleyes: My first PRS was a Cu24 Artist. Still have it. Always will. Interestingly, it cost me almost exactly what you quote above. Never had the least concern for paying 20 times what I had ever paid for a guitar before that. Quality isn't cheap!

... I’m trying to make sure that I get the best deal I can.

I’m still annoyed that I missed a beautiful Mira ...

Is it clear now that those two ideas are diametrically opposed to each other? The best deal you can get is the one that let's you enjoy a quality guitar instead of holding out for a lower price. The difference in dollars is usually not worth the wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO...all of the core models are worth every penny. I have a fair number of the core models...including a CU22, but never a CU24, which is to be remedied when I pick up my new to me guitar in a couple weeks. Usually, you can get them to work on price a little bit...just depends on the model and dealer, used is usually a good way to go if you wanna save some $$$. That being said, even with no further discount, well worth the cost and then some!!! The build quality, sound and fit/finish compared to any other guitar is apparent the second you pick it up...when you plug it in, even better yet...just do it!

Definitely worth it. I don't have a CU24, but do have a USA Tremonti. If you sit and wait, you can catch some killer deals. I sat on my butt and scrolled through countless websites looking for the perfect one at the right price. My budget for a new guitar fluctuated several grand during the journey (about a year from the date I decided I wanted one to when I ordered it), but I finally got one.

I ended up paying less for a brand new USA Tremonti Wood Library Artist Package than I would have for a standard "run of the mill" Tremonti. No regrets. The right guitar and deal always come along :D

Did you really think you were going to get any response in the negative? :rolleyes: My first PRS was a Cu24 Artist. Still have it. Always will. Interestingly, it cost me almost exactly what you quote above. Never had the least concern for paying 20 times what I had ever paid for a guitar before that. Quality isn't cheap!

Is it clear now that those two ideas are diametrically opposed to each other? The best deal you can get is the one that let's you enjoy a quality guitar instead of holding out for a lower price. The difference in dollars is usually not worth the wait.
I really have no proper explanation for being so indecisive!

I consider myself well and truly chastised!:confused:

Answer depends on your situation or who you ask. Would I say a core model sounds/plays/feels 5-7 times better than the SE? Nope. Would it be worth it if you have no disposable income and will put you and/or your family in a bad spot financially? Nope.

But if it's right for your situation and it speaks to you - they really are amazing guitars - as everyone else has noted. I've gone through a few PRS models in the past year as my "situation" only feasibly allows for one Core guitar. I've found that one in the CU24.

You can also save quite a bit if buying used as well - especially if you're not sure you want to keep the model - can typically turn it around for what you paid if not happy. Hell if you love it you can turn it around and buy a new one if that's what floats your boat.

Ok, so by now some forum members have come to realise that I am as yet to take the first step into PRS ownership.

I realise that as it is the nature of some forum members to tease a” non owning” member or even blatantly enable! ;)

I’m a cautious chap, who’s torn between SE affordable now, or saving my GAS cash for a lovely used Ted or custom, many of which are on my radar. I’m trying to make sure that I get the best deal I can.

I’m still annoyed that I missed a beautiful Mira (looked either cherry red or natural hog, she was a beauty). Being fairly new to the brand, I didn’t realise what a good deal she was.:confused:

One kind forum member will know that if I was in US or he was here that I would have made this a reality. Thanks to you for trying.

I’d love to hit Sergio’s target of my PRS NGD before 1500 posts! Maybe I’ll get to 1499 and quit!

Anyway, you guys will be the first to know.

Well, you can only make the best decision you can with the information you have at the time. We’ve all lost many potential guitars cause we didn’t realize what we came across at the time. Anyway, when you figure out what you’re looking for, let us know and we can keep an eye out; I’m sure many of us do a sick amount of guitar shopping, even when we’re not in the market (if that’s even a thing). :)

Answer depends on your situation or who you ask. Would I say a core model sounds/plays/feels 5-7 times better than the SE? Nope. Would it be worth it if you have no disposable income and will put you and/or your family in a bad spot financially? Nope.

But if it's right for your situation and it speaks to you - they really are amazing guitars - as everyone else has noted. I've gone through a few PRS models in the past year as my "situation" only feasibly allows for one Core guitar. I've found that one in the CU24.

You can also save quite a bit if buying used as well - especially if you're not sure you want to keep the model - can typically turn it around for what you paid if not happy. Hell if you love it you can turn it around and buy a new one if that's what floats your boat.

bingo bango bongo

To the OP - YES...totally worth it. I have not regretted a single "Core" purchase yet. I learned VERY early on the PRS were nice guitars. It just took me a LONG time to get to the point where I was actually ready (an able) to invest in getting one. I also felt I had to get to a certain place in my musical expression to "justify" one. I viewed having PRS as a 'reward' for being a mature player.....the importance of radius, scale, etc. had to make sense. Once I realized what I really needed in a guitar to bring out my musical expression best is when I travelled seriously down the PRS road. Went from zero to ten (literally) in 9 months. Haven't looked back and haven't wanted to play anything else!!

Well, you can only make the best decision you can with the information you have at the time. We’ve all lost many potential guitars cause we didn’t realize what we came across at the time. Anyway, when you figure out what you’re looking for, let us know and we can keep an eye out; I’m sure many of us do a sick amount of guitar shopping, even when we’re not in the market (if that’s even a thing). :)
Thanks, I really appreciate it.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to a 245 or Bernie and with the disposable income I have at the moment an SE.

Yes I’d love to splash the cash on the Ted that is about 30 miles away and £1250 (maybe a little less, if the owner needs cash).

However, as Mole351 said, it’s a matter of finances and my kids eat gold, or that’s what it seems like!

So I’ll be making a small splash to begin with!

I think I’ve narrowed it down to a 245 or Bernie and with the disposable income I have at the moment an SE.

Yes I’d love to splash the cash on the Ted that is about 30 miles away and £1250 (maybe a little less, if the owner needs cash).

However, as Mole351 said, it’s a matter of finances and my kids eat gold, or that’s what it seems like!

Oh mama. Go check out the Ted. Offer what you would pay and scram if he doesn’t take it. That’s already a great deal, depending on the condition.

245 or a Bernie is a great place to start your PRS journey. I haven't played a 245, but the Bernie punches way above its class. I love mine.

I second the Bernie. Great guitar!

I don't know if I can add a ton here as I only have had one US PRS (305) and I'm not sure if that's considered a core model or not. I've had several SE's that blew away most of my other US made guitars. For a minute I was wondering WTF Gibson was thinking cause my LPs and the stuff at the stores just wasn't the same.

I grabbed the 305 used not too long ago, and it's every bit the guitar my Fender Deluxe's were, and if anything more. I've never had a guitar with a trem that plays this good, or stays in tune this well. I would say for the used price I got in at, yes it was definitely worth it.

I second the Bernie. Great guitar!

I tri-quad-quint-cond the BM. You get 95% of an R9 historic for 15% of the price.

Right off the bat when you play a Bernie acoustically, you should be able to notice a pronounced nasally woody-wah tone, like with the R7/R8/R9’s and many core/high-end PRS singlecuts.

‘Nasally’ may not sound complimentary but this particular nose as intended here is a Pixie’s nose lined with magic dust. The tone sounds like a combo of metal string and a knuckle rap on the wood neck.

That tone, is the be-all end-all, and it comes out truly and unscathed from the amplifier, trust me.

Mole351 on my left shoulder -

“Remember dude, your kids eat gold!”:)

Sergio on the right shoulder -

“Duuuuuddddde! C’mon, tick-tock, tick-tock!! Now where’s that flame thrower?!”

:confused::eek:

Back