Are the core line customs worth the money?

I tri-quad-quint-cond the BM. You get 95% of an R9 historic for 15% of the price.

Right off the bat when you play a Bernie acoustically, you should be able to notice a pronounced nasally woody-wah tone, like with the R7/R8/R9’s and many core/high-end PRS singlecuts.

‘Nasally’ may not sound complimentary but this particular nose as intended here is a Pixie’s nose lined with magic dust. The tone sounds like a combo of metal string and a knuckle rap on the wood neck.

That tone, is the be-all end-all, and it comes out truly and unscathed from the amplifier, trust me.

Well said, and the absolute truth!

I would love to try a Bernie. I've never seen one in the wild.

Core guitars are worth it yes. I purshased one new and all the others used. Two were CEs for less than a grand but had very minor issues that were easily fixed by me.

I've learned to pay attention to the trem in particular. If it's not level there may be some issues to deal with.

One was pulled down tight to the body and claw was screwed tight to body as well.

New springs and fulcrum screws which are cheap and I was in business. Stays in tune pretty well too.

Not a clue, sorry.

So this guy loses his job and he's out of work for a while. Things are getting desperate, so his wife says, "I know you won't like this, but I can sell my body. That would let us keep the house."

The guy isn't thrilled, but he agrees, but only on the condition that he goes with her to advise her and protect her. The first night, in the first hour, a car pulls up and the guy says, "How much?" The woman says, "Just a second, I'll be right back." She ducks into the alley and says to her husband, "Somebody just pulled up and wants to know how much." The guy realizes they hadn't talked about price, so he does some quick thinking and says, "Tell him $50 for a handie, $100 for a screw."

She goes back and tells the guy, and he says, "Damn - I only have $50. I guess it's a handie." She gets in the car, the guy hands the money over and pulls out the biggest schlong she's ever seen. The woman says, "Just a minute, I'll be right back." She goes back to her husband and says, "Can we loan this guy $50?"

So this guy loses his job and he's out of work for a while. Things are getting desperate, so his wife says, "I know you won't like this, but I can sell my body. That would let us keep the house."

The guy isn't thrilled, but he agrees, but only on the condition that he goes with her to advise her and protect her. The first night, in the first hour, a car pulls up and the guy says, "How much?" The woman says, "Just a second, I'll be right back." She ducks into the alley and says to her husband, "Somebody just pulled up and wants to know how much." The guy realizes they hadn't talked about price, so he does some quick thinking and says, "Tell him $50 for a handie, $100 for a screw."

She goes back and tells the guy, and he says, "Damn - I only have $50. I guess it's a handie." She gets in the car, the guy hands the money over and pulls out the biggest schlong she's ever seen. The woman says, "Just a minute, I'll be right back." She goes back to her husband and says, "Can we loan this guy $50?"

Ah cheers. Things aren't that desperate yet!!

here are 3 helpful questions to ask yourself before buying a guitar (Start at 1 min 10 seconds in):

So, if you would transport me back in time a month... to before I ever picked up a PRS.... and told me that I would be so hooked on the feel and playability of it’s neck, I’d never believe you.... i’m so hooked...

Just made the six hour drive to my closest PRS dealer not named guitar center (to be fair I was heading that way on vacation anyway) to play a few more and get some details about price for ordering my dream custom 22 core... after playing a few more guitars I was again just in love with the guitar...

Then I found out that custom orders are taking about 8-12 months to get in.... and I instantly thought of pennyroyal’s video post....

Do I want the exact color and options to look cool???

Spent the rest of the day thinking, what do I do???

1. Do I order and wait that long?

2. Do I buy one that’s close to what I want and settle?

3. Do I buy one thats close, play the hell out of it for 8-12 months while my order is built, and then sell it?

4. Do I buy one thats close, play the hell out of it, and wait a few months to place an order to make sure it’s truley what I want?

I didn’t spend this much time contemplating buying my house!

So, if you would transport me back in time a month... to before I ever picked up a PRS.... and told me that I would be so hooked on the feel and playability of it’s neck, I’d never believe you.... i’m so hooked...

Just made the six hour drive to my closest PRS dealer not named guitar center (to be fair I was heading that way on vacation anyway) to play a few more and get some details about price for ordering my dream custom 22 core... after playing a few more guitars I was again just in love with the guitar...

Then I found out that custom orders are taking about 8-12 months to get in.... and I instantly thought of pennyroyal’s video post....

Do I want the exact color and options to look cool???

Spent the rest of the day thinking, what do I do???

1. Do I order and wait that long?

3. Do I buy one thats close, play the hell out of it for 8-12 months while my order is built, and then sell it?

4. Do I buy one thats close, play the hell out of it, and wait a few months to place an order to make sure it’s truley what I want?

Haaaaa! This is very close to my current dilemma. I feel your pain. I've been agonizing for months over the same questions myself.

It is my honest opinion that every first time PRSer should start with a core guitar. It is what started PRS. It’s what I identify as the quintessential PRS experience and it will be the treble hook that snares you deep in your soul! From there you can stray to SE, S2, and PS. A Cu24 10 top will melt your guitar heart.

Regarding the comments about a Bernie, with which I completely agree, I stand by my comments above. Get the Bernie second.

Then let me help by cutting the Gordian Knot with these observations:

1. You did say it was the playability/feel of the guitar that drew you in. That’s important. Let’s put that down as the top priority.

2. The little details we obsess over quickly become far less important than the satisfaction of playing one on a daily basis. These appearance details aren’t what made you decide to get a PRS in the first place; after all, you’d seen PRSes before and didn’t buy one, it took playing one to do that.

So looks are trumped by playability. Let’s call looks a secondary priority.

3. PRSes are remarkably consistent. So one you order isn’t going to feel or play differently. In fact, its tone will be an unknown, because wooden instruments each have their own tonal signature. So you’re better off tone-wise picking a guitar from dealer stock.

Unless you’re buying a wall hanging, tone might be a top priority, and I’m going to take a leap of faith here and say you might be happy if the guitar sounds the way you want it to. And I’ll take it a step further and posit that the only way to know if it sounds the way you want it to is to play the one you’re buying.

4. I’ve been a PRS player for 27 years, and have owned a lot of PRSes. Others here know what I mean when I say this will not be your last PRS. Sure, you may make big plans for only owning one and that’s it, and even reassure your significant other of that, but forget plans. You will own more than one.

In light of the foregoing:

A. The most important thing is to get a PRS to play; and,

B. You’ll have more than one, so if you have a “looks” itch to scratch, the wait will be less of a thing.

C. It absolutely, positively, will not be your only PRS, even if it stays your #1.

Conclusion:

Hunt down a great PRS now, enjoy the hell out of it, and later, when you come up for air, you can obsess over the tiny details that truly matter far less.

I suggest you go shopping immediately. ;)

Last edited:

These two questions are very closely connected.

Theoretically, you could combine these two with number four, buy one that's close, play it to see if you truly like it, do the order, then sell.

In reality, you'll end up keeping both and have a third on the way (and likely a fourth) before the second arrives.

Unless you’re buying a wall hanging, tone might be a top priority, and I’m going to take a leap of faith here and say you might be happy if the guitar sounds the way you want it to. And I’ll take it a step further and posit that the only way to know if it sounds the way you want it to is to play the one you’re buying.

This. Start playing a PRS as soon as you can and learn what is important to you before you order one. I am lucky enough to live between two good PRS suppliers so before my recent purchase I played everything they had over a few months, from the cheapest to the most expensive and I bought the one I didn't have anywhere near the top of my list when I first started out. It was a more expensive one because it made a difference in feel and playability for me, which is a highly personal thing. I know now that if I had ordered one based on what I thought I wanted, I might not have made the right choices as I needed to play and learn a bit first. That I managed to do this on the shops time was a bit of a bonus!

I always negotiate price, as does everyone who buys from me. I never pay what was originally asked.

As for the value of core models, I would say that SE and S2 are plenty good for most people, me included. But I notice substantial improvements in core models, so I mostly buy core. I am fortunate to be able to pay for them.

Shape and feel and appearance and tone are all different between core and other lines. But even more, there are more available options in core. So I can get exactly what I want instead of close to what I want.

For the OCD, there is private stock.

Then let me help by cutting the Gordian Knot with these observations:

1. You did say it was the playability/feel of the guitar that drew you in. That’s important. Let’s put that down as the top priority.

2. The little details we obsess over quickly become far less important than the satisfaction of playing one on a daily basis. These appearance details aren’t what made you decide to get a PRS in the first place; after all, you’d seen PRSes before and didn’t buy one, it took playing one to do that.

So looks are trumped by playability. Let’s call looks a secondary priority.

3. PRSes are remarkably consistent. So one you order isn’t going to feel or play differently. In fact, its tone will be an unknown, because wooden instruments each have their own tonal signature. So you’re better off tone-wise picking a guitar from dealer stock.

4. I’ve been a PRS player for 27 years, and have owned a lot of PRSes. Others here know what I mean when I say this will not be your last PRS. Sure, you may make big plans for only owning one and that’s it, and even reassure your significant other of that, but forget plans. You will own more than one.

In light of the foregoing:

B. You’ll have more than one, so if you have a “looks” itch to scratch, the wait will be less of a thing.

C. It absolutely, positively, will not be your only PRS, even if it stays your #1.

Conclusion:

Hunt down a great PRS now, enjoy the hell out of it, and later, when you come up for air, you can obsess over the tiny details that truly matter far less.

That was the extremely sound advice that I needed to hear! Thank you! Pictures of the new axe to follow...

Back