Report Of The International Advisory Commission of Why Bother.

László

Too Many Notes
Annotation:

International Advisory Commission of Why Bother Report On The Causes, Events and Aftermaths Of Bothering To Do Something Completely Unnecessary.

Abstract:

The Report includes a detailed history of an original pedalboard build and some minor modifications to the pedalboard that probably should not have been bothered with. Also of interest are two handheld device photographs. Among the recommendations discussed are whether 'tis better to say, 'Nah, I'm not gonna bother' or to just do the thing and live with the knowledge that it was a waste of time afterward.

Discussion:

In mid-2018, a certain pedalboard was acquired by the subject, who decided to re-use some expensive cables that were made for a previous pedalboard instead of starting over with a fresh wiring job and incurring additional expense.

On the previous pedalboard, the object of the cables was to achieve the best sound possible at the time, and have all cables terminated with soldered, traditional connectors for strength and reliability. The subject was not concerned with the color of the cables. The pedals on the previous pedalboard were not in the same order, and several on the current pedalboard were not on the previous pedalboard at all.

On the new pedalboard, several of these re-used cables hung over the back of the board, resulting in an appearance the subject regarded as slovenly. In addition, their red color was jarring to the subject, who decided to remedy the problem with new cables in a black color to render them less visible. The subject also decided to hide one of the cables that was sticking out beneath the surface of the upper shelf for a neater appearance.

The subject had been putting this task off for five years. Recently, the subject was inspired by the wiring jobs friend Simon did on his pedalboard projects to solve the issue of cables hanging over the back of the board and use black cables to match the board in three areas where such cables showed. Thus, the subject, having commissioned some new black Evidence Audio cables, spent time removing velcro'd pedals, rewiring them with the new cables, and reinstalling them on the board.

The subject also determined it would be a good idea to slightly change the order of two of the pedals via their wiring, and to remove a small channel switching box that seemed like a good idea at the time but went unused.

The subject decided to tidy up the cables beneath the shelves, but not do the Full Simon.

After spending an hour and a half doing this, the subject regretted the experience as time wasted, and in fact, somewhat missed the red cables.

However, the subject is highly unlikely to reverse the process, because that, too, is considered a waste of time.

Subject's So What Meter reading was the same both before and after. However, using the standard University of Michigan criteria, the subject's What Was I Thinking enzymes were slightly elevated, evidencing mild dissatisfaction.

Conclusion:

It wasn't worth bothering with.

Recommendation:

Don't do that again.

Photographs:

Before

7TVIKPg.jpg

After

YLyCYmt.jpg

The Advisory Commission would like to note that the power cable and Van Damme signal cable coming out of the pedalboard are wrapped in Techflex in order to meet International Cable Safety Standards that the Commission enacted all by itself with no input from anyone at all.

Last edited:
I think I’m going to end up taking Single Malt and much love to @Simon Says house, for my pedalboard to become a reality.

However we are about 300 miles apart, so it will take some planning.

Of course I could lure him/family to Scotland for a free holiday, but then Mrs Simon would be cross that we were drinking and soldering! Haha.

I think I’m going to end up taking Single Malt and much love to @Simon Says house, for my pedalboard to become a reality.

Of course I could lure him/family to Scotland for a free holiday, but then Mrs Simon would be cross that we were drinking and soldering! Haha.
I wouldn't mind that at all :) I'm planning a few short camping trips this summer; I may as well go to Scotland, which I wanted for years anyway. Besides, it would be fire to meet you in person and get wasted once the job is done!

Annotation:

International Advisory Commission of Why Bother Report On The Causes, Events and Aftermaths Of Bothering To Do Something Completely Unnecessary.

Abstract:

The Report includes a detailed history of an original pedalboard build and some minor modifications to the pedalboard that probably should not have been bothered with. Also of interest are two handheld device photographs. Among the recommendations discussed are whether 'tis better to say, 'Nah, I'm not gonna bother' or to just do the thing and live with the knowledge that it was a waste of time afterward.

Discussion:

In mid-2018, a certain pedalboard was acquired by the subject, who decided to re-use some expensive cables that were made for a previous pedalboard instead of starting over with a fresh wiring job and incurring additional expense.

On the previous pedalboard, the object of the cables was to achieve the best sound possible at the time, and have all cables terminated with soldered, traditional connectors for strength and reliability. The subject was not concerned with the color of the cables. The pedals on the previous pedalboard were not in the same order, and several on the current pedalboard were not on the previous pedalboard at all.

On the new pedalboard, several of these re-used cables hung over the back of the board, resulting in an appearance the subject regarded as slovenly. In addition, their red color was jarring to the subject, who decided to remedy the problem with new cables in a black color to render them less visible. The subject also decided to hide one of the cables that was sticking out beneath the surface of the upper shelf for a neater appearance.

The subject had been putting this task off for five years. Recently, the subject was inspired by the wiring jobs friend Simon did on his pedalboard projects to solve the issue of cables hanging over the back of the board and use black cables to match the board in three areas where such cables showed. Thus, the subject, having commissioned some new black Evidence Audio cables, spent time removing velcro'd pedals, rewiring them with the new cables, and reinstalling them on the board.

The subject also determined it would be a good idea to slightly change the order of two of the pedals via their wiring, and to remove a small channel switching box that seemed like a good idea at the time but went unused.

The subject decided to tidy up the cables beneath the shelves, but not do the Full Simon.

After spending an hour and a half doing this, the subject regretted the experience as time wasted, and in fact, missed the red cables.

However, the subject is highly unlikely to reverse the process, because that, too, is considered a waste of time.

Subject's So What Meter reading was the same both before and after. However, using the standard University of Michigan criteria, the subject's What Was I Thinking enzymes were slightly elevated, evidencing mild dissatisfaction.

Conclusion:

Recommendation:

Don't do that again.

Photographs:

Before

7TVIKPg.jpg

After

YLyCYmt.jpg

The Advisory Commission would like to note that the power cable and Van Damme signal cable coming out of the pedalboard are wrapped in Techflex to meet International Cable Safety Standards that the Commission enacted all by itself with no input from anyone at all.
Splendid job, buddy. Excellent and quick too. I will be doing finishing touches to mine next week and I can't wait to be done with it once and forever...

...that is, until I get a phone call from Scotland

I wouldn't mind that at all :) I'm planning a few short camping trips this summer; I may as well go to Scotland, which I wanted for years anyway. Besides, it would be fire to meet you in person and get wasted once the job is done!
Would love for this to happen! Pics required.

The Universal Approval Commission of Bad Decisions In The Name of Excellent Design Pursuits and Sound Mind (The Commission) have approved your choices and award you with a Meritorious Medal of Honor for your efforts and vision. The Commission further wishes to recommend that all participants in this thread take similar steps to alleviate slovenly displayed boards and studio spaces. Failure to comply will result in, but not be limited to, extreme sanctions that could prevent the display of such distasteful arrays of audio trickery. We look forward to your full compliance on this new directive. Long live perfection!

Annotation:

Abstract:

Discussion:

After spending an hour and a half doing this, the subject regretted the experience as time wasted, and in fact, missed the red cables.

Conclusion:

Recommendation:

Don't do that again.

Photographs:

Before

7TVIKPg.jpg

After

YLyCYmt.jpg

The Advisory Commission would like to note that the power cable and Van Damme signal cable coming out of the pedalboard are wrapped in Techflex in order to meet International Cable Safety Standards that the Commission enacted all by itself with no input from anyone at all.
Still looks good. I liked the red, but like the black better. So, it pleases me and therefore twasn’t a waste of time:p

The Universal Approval Commission of Bad Decisions In The Name of Excellent Design Pursuits and Sound Mind (The Commission) have approved your choices and award you with a Meritorious Medal of Honor for your efforts and vision. The Commission further wishes to recommend that all participants in this thread take similar steps to alleviate slovenly displayed boards and studio spaces. Failure to comply will result in, but not be limited to, extreme sanctions that could prevent the display of such distasteful arrays of audio trickery. We look forward to your full compliance on this new directive. Long live perfection!
Its gonna take me a week just to unplug and untangle all the mess behind my three workstations. To be honest Id druther eat S#@T and die. :oops:

...cables hung over the back of the board, resulting in an appearance the subject regarded as slovenly.
LOL! Our harshest critic is often ourselves, Les. Or shall I say...

Outside party recommends to the author of the study that one should not allow one's personal annoyances to manifest as the outside world's criticisms of their overall cleanliness.

SUPPLEMENTAL REPORT

The subject reports that the short black opposite-plug Evidence Audio cable between the Suhr Alexa and the tuner immediately died. The subject apparently spent an additional hour determining which cable, in fact, went bad, and replacing it with one of the previously removed cables.

The International Advisory Commission of Why Bother can't make this stuff up!

That would be against the rules. ;)

Last edited:
LOL! Our harshest critic is often ourselves, Les. Or shall I say...

Outside party recommends to the author of the study that one should not allow one's personal annoyances to manifest as the outside world's criticisms of their overall cleanliness.
The subject of the report did not manifest his personal annoyances as the outside world's criticism.

In fact, the International Advisory Commission of Why Bother questions whether there is, in fact, an outside world, and the report would not be affected if there turns out to be an outside world after all. The International Advisory Commission of Why Bother is exclusively concerned with the subject's Why Bother, time-wasting experience.

However, in light of the cable crapping out, the International Advisory Commission of Why Bother is cackling madly.

:)

Back