Pedalboard for HBII Piezo

Mike-El

Many years ago I had a Parker Nitefly with a piezo bridge. The Parker had a stereo output which allowed me to split the signal and send one output to an acoustic amp and one output to my electric pedalboard. With the setup of the PRS I cannot duplicate that. Can anyone suggest a way to route the signal so I can split up the piezo and the mags or am I going to have to use the volume control knobs?

How about using something like this to take both mag and piezo inputs, and then use a stereo/TRS instrument cable from there. That will effectively give you what you had with the Parker.

Another thing you can do is leave both mag and piezo active all the time, and use an A/B foot switch to easily switch between the two signals. The guys in Opeth use this approach with their PRS P24’s, and switch seamlessly between heavy and “acoustic” sounds without changing anything on the guitars.

Last edited:
Honestly, go the Line 6 HXFX. You can plug two sources, treating the magnetic side as you wish with pedals and assign the other patch to piezo, load some third-party acoustic IRs, preamp, EQ or reverbs. If I would ever go with a piezo guitar, I would do this. There's also a range of other IR loaders you can buy if you want to build a pedalboard solely for the piezo. TC does one; I think Boss has an IR loader, too

Edit: acoustic IRs I used to use https://www.3sigmaaudio.com/acoustic-impulses/

As already mentioned, the HBII Piezo has two outputs on it. I typically run mine with two cables or two wireless units and run the two signals into two different pedal setups. I use my normal pedal board for the magnetic pickups. I will use either a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI then straight to the FOH mixer. I send it back in my monitor. Another solution I have used is to run a Fly Rig Acoustic instead of the Aura in the same way. Both are great units. I like the acoustic sound of the Aura better.

Another thing I have done for an ampless rig is to run both inputs into a Fractal FM9 and run them in separate paths then merge the signals into one output to the FOH mixer. With this solution if you run a lot of effects maxing out the DSP could be an issue. I have one of the first FM9 units that went out. I hit the DSP limit without having a massive amount of blocks in my signal chains. I was basically putting in the things that I have when I use pedals and an amp. After about version 3 of the firmware, they had reduced the DSP usage of the blocks enough that I was able to run it the way I wanted. I bought the unit specifically for this purpose. I use two acoustic IRs in a cab block for this method. There are some decent free ones out there.

I’m confused. Doesn’t your Hollowbody have the 2 inputs? One goes out to your elec amp and the piezo to your acoustic amp/pa.
The HBIIP has separate outputs for the mags and the piezo, so if you’re just trying to send those 2 signals to different paths, voila! If I’m misunderstanding the question, well…won’t be the first time :p
This was my thought also...two output jacks on all HB II Piezos, right??

the piezo line to an acoustic amp , the magnetic to a standard .. rock on .. if you really want to have fun throw an octave pedal on the piezo line 1 octave down.. ( I use a t rex Quint)
r4c2uteocrgronud7eii.jpg

For those wondering about the two outputs of the HB2P, one output is piezo blended with mag (you adjust the blend by rolling off the volume of which pickup you want less of. The other output is mag only.

This is a great forum and I really appreciate all of the info and suggestions. Thank you!

For those wondering about the two outputs of the HB2P, one output is piezo blended with mag (you adjust the blend by rolling off the volume of which pickup you want less of. The other output is mag only.

This is a great forum and I really appreciate all of the info and suggestions. Thank you!
When you plug a cable into the Piezo output it takes the Piezo signal out of the mixed output and the signals run separately.

BTW have you got the Core HB or the SE... I know the SE is backwards.. mix/piezo and mag only?? (I think? someone can confirm?) instead of mix/mag and piezo only. But at the end of the day, they both work the same.. both independant signals once you use a cable in each. The blend knob becomes a volume/output knob for the piezo once you are dual cabled.

Back