Anybody like Gibson?

How is that any different than walking into an art gallery and seeing two paintings of the same subject, but the price of one is much higher because of the desirability of the artist (as determined by critics and consumer driven supply and demand)? Fender does the same as Gibson. Ron Thorn’s guitars cost more than other master builders because…..he’s Ron Thorn. And consumers are willing to pay more for a Thorn built Fender. Why would Fender charge the same price for all master builders? Ethics? Nah. They’re capitalists.

I have nothing against capitalism. Heck, it's great stuff.

But I've never walked into a reputable art gallery and seen two paintings that were even remotely the same subject, or even close in look as between two given artists, but I guess YMMV. I like good art as much, or more than the next person, and in fact have some serious interest in it.

If I saw two very similar paintings, I'd think very little of that gallery. Name, or no name.

Yeah...some of us seem to be talking about Gibson-the-guitars, and some about Gibson-the-company under earlier management...or Gibson-the-company under present management.

All those layers and facets provide fodder for commentary and personal opinion, one way or the other.

No one has mentioned Gibson-the-historical-heritage. (Though Heritage brand guitars certainly refer to it.) I'm talking about a long history of innovation and leadership in stringed-instrument production going back to 1894 (if we're talking about when Orville started making instruments) or 1902 (when the company was officially founded). The list of the company's developments over the years is pretty much a recipe for The Standard across a range of instruments: mandolins, banjos, archtop guitars, solidbody set-neck guitars, and semi-hollow thinline electrics.

There really wasn't a jazz guitar before Gibson, and any company making f-hole archtops to this day owes a debt. We can say the same thing about cutaway archtops (Switchmaster, 295, 175), the Les Paul, the set-neck mahogany slab, and the 335 and its derivatives: all now not just Gibson products, but recognizable types and formulas for electric guitar.

Not to mention a slew of hardware inventions and improvements, now industry standards: pehaps not the first electric guitar pickup, but arguably the first great ones. The Charlie Christian, the P-90, and the classic humbucker (notwithstanding that Seth Lover and Ray Butts got there about the same time). Bridges and tailpieces. The list goes on.

And the people! Orville himself, for getting it going (though he didn't stay at the helm for long). Lloyd Loar. Ted McCarty. Seth Lover. Guys whose design, engineering, industrial, and business skills created instruments which shaped and sometimes defined whole genres of music which have in turn shaped us.

And through long periods of that run, there was a company culture and business ethic to provide real baked-in quality, finished to a handsome (if rarely overdone) degree - especially in the mechanical basics - and sold for a fair price for the quality at hand. Nice as the nicest Gibson products have been, there could still be something a little Oldsmobile about them: they were supremely playable, reliable, durable, serviceable, and looked every bit as good as they had to in order to serve the purpose of making music.

But the company rarely went all Cadillac, with ornamentation and ostentation of cosmetics which added nothing to playability or sound. There's something very midwestern about that: honest value in an honest product, and not much money spent on (or charged for) purely aesthetic properties. As instruments, they were - from the 20s through the 60s at least, and for periods of time since then - as good as anyone needed, and it was hard to find anything technically or musically better.

That Gibson - the heir to that legacy, holding so many family jewels whose names are common shorthand for guitarists (when someone calls any guitar a Les Paul, Special, Junior, SG, 175, 375, Explorer, V, etc...we know exactly what they're talking about whether the guitar in question is Gibson-branded or not) - that Gibson is to me a national treasure, a good part of the foundation under the "popular" music of the 20th century (still reverberating today), and something I very much value and treasure.

My first stringed musical instrument was a Gibson TB-2 tenor banjo (not the top of the line), early 20s. Belonged to my grandfather, who'd played it in a "string band" combo with his sisters, and pulled it out from under his bed and gave it to me when I was Beatle-and-guitar obsessed, so I could prove to my parents I'd stick to it and should be allowed to get a guitar. That was circa 1965-66; I still have the banjo. It's been tuned to pitch in its case through those decades, and needed a new head in the 70s and a couple tension rods in the early 90s. Its action is ridiculously low.

My first "good" electric (after a Japanese 60s special and a Wurlitzer!) was a basket-case Melody Maker whose owner had stripped the finish, hogged out the Honduran mahogany body with an entrenching tool (it being the late 60s, obviously to put in a humbucker), then left it under his bed when a low draft number sent him to Vietnam. He didn't come back; his parents eventually sold it to a music store, which sold it in 1975 to a poor broke college kid (me) for 35.00, in pieces. I had a buddy make a pickguard, sourced a used humbucker and sprang for a DiMarzio Fat Strat (anyone remember those?) and a Leo Quan Badass. Put it together and played the bejeebus out of it. It's still together (having been through a couple different pickguard/pickup schemes), and it plays like Miracle Butter.

My next good electric was (and remains) a 70s-era 335-TD with coil tap and trapeze tailpiece. Guy showed it to me on the sidewalk outside a music store where he was taking it to trade for an acoustic. I'd never in my life wanted a 335, but I knew it was a good guitar - and more valuable than the Alvarez acoustic he said he'd trade me for it. I felt bad about that, so I gave my Alvarez 12-string too. I've never missed either of those, and the 335 was my main ride for lots of gigs. I don't have a more beat-up case. It's still here, wearing the too-short Bigsby I put on it from the parts shelf at the music store, not knowing it was the wrong one. The Bigsby works fine, the guitar plays like more Miracle Butter, with sci-fi action, and I can't remember ever having cranked the truss rod. And that's one of the supposedly bad Norlin-era guitars.

This isn't to talk about every Gibson I've ever owned but to observe that it's hard to imagine higher-quality, better-constructed, better-performing instruments. I just think what treasures these guitars are, and what a legacy this company represents. To me, that Gibson - perhaps idealized - matters, and it's why it matters to me how the Gibson story evolves.
______

Which is why it was hard to see the custodians of that legacy in the Henry J period abuse and pee all over it. I get that the Baldwin era was a long somewhat meandering drift, and that HJ brought the company back from the brink in the 80s when he acquired it. I appreciate that. I'd hate not to have Gibson in our musical culture. But, progressively over time, the decisions became seemingly more craven, more misguided, more erratic, ultimately crazier. And still there were lots of dedicated people at Gibson, both in management and on the workshop floor, who got what they were doing, cared about it, did all they could to preserve and extend what was good about the brand.

It's just that there was enough cynical lifestyle-marketing poison in the system to make a mess of product decisions (some real head-scratchers), innovations and advancements that weren't, sliding QC, sometimes predatory and occasionally delusional pricing (especially on Really Dumb Things) ... no need to drag all that out again.

I just remember my visit to the Memphis factory for a tour, and the stiff, sharp-fretted, bad-action, dusty condition of the guitars in the gift shop showroom - and the gum-chewing, phone-chatting obliviousness of the spokesmodel installed as an attraction behind the counter. (I enjoyed the tour itself; it certainly seemed a lot people were doing what it takes to build guitars.)

What I thought was needed when HenryJ shuffled off the scene was a return to basics: the classic and iconic models on which the reputation was built, made well (but not over-done) and fairly priced for today's market. (I guess it's worth tossing in that everything HJ & Co were screwing up at Gibson, management at Epiphone was getting right - to the point that, were I shopping for a Gibson now...I'd be shopping for an Epiphone.)

So far the Curleigh regime gets mixed votes from me. I believe product selection now represents more of the basics I'd go to Gibson for, and understand QC has improved considerably. But the Bulldoze-Our-Reputation stunt came under Curleigh management...so I don't know.

It's been years since I had much experience with contemporary new Gibson product, so I can't speak to that. I read both good and bad, and understand there were Golden Eras even during the reign of Henry, when you could more or less be assured of getting a good guitar for your money (though no one suggests Gibson QC has ever approached PRS standards).

From a practical standpoint, it doesn't matter to me: I'm not in the market for any Gibson product (after I got a dandy Bozeman J-45 slope-shoulder acoustic a few years ago). My 335 is all the 335 I'll ever need, my '74 LP Deluxe is quietly appreciating in its case (while never being my first thought when I want to play something Lestery), and my Faded P90 Special (after a complete fret dressing) is a screamin' bloody hoot. Fortunately, I don't have a passion (or skill) for high-end jazz boxes. (If I did, can't a feller get a decent vintage one for little more than a modern Gibson version, if they happen to be making one at the moment?) I feel like I have all my Gibson bases covered - some of them by actual Gibsons!

But I do wish generations of players through the 80s and to the present had a Gibson company like the one I knew and admired during my formative years as a player - great guitars, clear descendants of the archetypal originals, fair pricing for the value at hand, and consistent quality.

Hmm. Sounds like a recipe for a going operation, doesn't it?

Last edited:
I have nothing against capitalism. Heck, it's great stuff.

But I've never walked into a reputable art gallery and seen two paintings that were even remotely the same subject, or even close in look as between two given artists, but I guess YMMV. I like good art as much, or more than the next person, and in fact have some serious interest in it.

If I saw two very similar paintings, I'd think very little of that gallery. Name, or no name.

I attend "paint-outs" where I serve as my artist wife's sherpa. Often times at the conclusion of the event, there is a "gallery" set up where the participating artists display their works for sale. It's not uncommon to see the same subject matter on display because of the limited subject matter. Regardless, I think the point I was trying to make was made.

Frankly, I'm not a fan of this thread. "I know I am not supposed to post about the other manufacturers" is the opening statement. The fact that we don't is why I like this forum, and the reason I normally stay away from PRSGOW on Facebook. I'd rather remain "positive." And, I like blonds, brunettes, and redheads (Well, I mean I can look, right?).

Last edited:
I attend "paint-outs" where I serve as my artist wife's sherpa. Often times at the conclusion of the event, there is a "gallery" set up where the participating artists display their works for sale. It's not uncommon to see the same subject matter on display because of the limited subject matter. Regardless, I think the point I was trying to make was made.

Frankly, I'm not a fan of this thread. "I know I am not supposed to post about the other manufacturers" is the opening statement. The fact that we don't is why I like this forum, and the reason I normally stay away from PRSGOW on Facebook. I'd rather remain "positive." And, I like blonds, brunettes, and redheads (Well, I mean I can look, right?).
Yeah, I have literally thought about removing this thread as I put it up here as a joke that I thought PRS lovers would enjoy, not as a discourse on Gibson or social best practices! That did not turn out too well, at least a few read it that way and played along!! Lesson learned, in this world, you can't just make (or relay) a joke anymore unless it offends absolutely nobody and everybody agrees with it, which is why our society is being sucked dry!!!

Sorry to anyone who is offended by this video, it was not intended to do so. And yes, when I first viewed it I felt it would have been better for them to have been donated to schools but it did not stop me from laughing at an extreme solution to a first world problem! Years ago I put in my will that my guitars are to go to public schools, so I have been on that page for a long long time!! Now go Pete Townsend a guitar for fun (I did it once with a Yamaha 12 string - sorry kids)!!!

The company owns Baldwin piano, once competitive with NY Steinway as the cream of American-made pianos. Now, all of the manufacture (except for the highest-end custom built 9' concert grands made for artists) is in Chinese factories. And we aren't talking about cheap pianos, prices range from 25 kilobucks for a baby grand, to 70-ish for a 6' piano. Baldwin was once one of the very finest piano makers in the world. That's no longer the case.

While they don't seem to want to part with the capital to do right by Baldwin (a company they already owned) and restore it to glory, they did have the willingness and dough to buy Mesa. I find this troubling. Others may disagree.
My Baldwin predates Gibson ownership by quite a few years, so I guess it has no impact on my feelings about Gibson.

I am pretty happy with my Gibsons, though one of the Les Pauls is crazy heavy.

After a catch up, I will gladly remove any or all of my posts in this thread if anyone wants me too. This rubbed me way wrong right from the start, but that doesn't mean anything, and as has been said by me, giving a worldwide voice to every jackwagon with internet was bound to cause problems (props to @RickP and paraphrase copyright infringement apologies asked for...)

So, if you get the last guy in Scotts video to smack whomever it was at Gibson that did this, I'll forgive and forget. :p:p:p

(the first part was serious. Last part...not so much. Not that I wouldn't laugh my a$$ off, just like I did at the others he smacked).

That Gibson - the heir to that legacy, holding so many family jewels whose names are common shorthand for guitarists (when someone calls any guitar a Les Paul, Special, Junior, SG, 175, 375, Explorer, V, etc...we know exactly what they're talking about whether the guitar in question is Gibson-branded or not) - that Gibson is to me a national treasure, a good part of the foundation under the "popular" music of the 20th century (still reverberating today), and something I very much value and treasure.
Absolutely, but sometimes I get the feeling that others at the helm since haven't treasured the strides made by those who went before them.

I don’t particularly like Gibson guitars. Never have. It’s not because of any allegiance to any other brand(s), they just aren’t my thing, simple as that.

I don’t really understand what this was all about, but ultimately it’s waste, and I really dislike waste.

I went from Les Pauls to PRS over 20 years ago and ever since, it's been my go-to guitar, whether it's a gig, a band rehearsal, a serious practice session or just noodling on the sofa. My CE24 never goes into the case unless I am carrying it somewhere. However, I still love my Gibsons - usually, when presented with 2 great choices, I generally pick both! Gibsons are different animals and I love the classic look, sound and feel of them, but I see them more like "Sunday Guitars". PRS is what I use to get the job done on a day-to-day basis.

As for the video, I agree it is a terrible waste, not to mention bad optics for the company, but I understand the financial reasoning behind it. Just another bad business decision in a long line of bad business decisions that put them where they are. Speaks volume for the management, but it does not change my view of the classic designs and craftsmanship of the "good old days". Reminds me of the guy who set fire to his Tesla because it was cheaper than replacing the battery.

How is that any different than walking into an art gallery and seeing two paintings of the same subject, but the price of one is much higher because of the desirability of the artist (as determined by critics and consumer driven supply and demand)? Fender does the same as Gibson. Ron Thorn’s guitars cost more than other master builders because…..he’s Ron Thorn. And consumers are willing to pay more for a Thorn built Fender. Why would Fender charge the same price for all master builders? Ethics? Nah. They’re capitalists.
I guess the difference there would be that a master builder’s contribution is more than just cosmetic.

But that’s splitting hairs and to be honest I don’t think we disagree fundamentally. It’s not my place to tell anyone how to spend their money; I was just offering my personal opinion. Maybe I should’ve just ignored this thread…

I attend "paint-outs" where I serve as my artist wife's sherpa. Often times at the conclusion of the event, there is a "gallery" set up where the participating artists display their works for sale.
I've never heard of anything like that.

My experience with my brother, whose work is going to be touring with the National Portrait Gallery, is quite the opposite. He's been showing at galleries for 40-odd years. But, what do I know.

Last edited:
I know of two Gibsons in this world that I like. One is a very light weight, resonant and very comfortable to play Flying V with small, cryogenicly treated frets. The other is a carefully modified Les Paul which is a throw back to the guitar build favored by a 1970's Al Di Meola (and his biggest fanboy Phil Collen of Def Leppard) which features a SD 59 in the neck position and a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge position.

Gibson-2019_Flying-V.jpg

Gibson_2002-LesPaulStudioDr.jpg

My amps have changed since these photos were taken but I still own both of these guitars.

Ok, I take it all back. I would buy a Gibson if I fell in love with a nice Michael Schenker Flying V or maybe a great black Les Paul. I apologize for letting myself renew my anger from the first time I saw that video, and I apologize if anything I said offended anyone.

Back