An Interesting Thought About A Collection

to answer that question what is it about X? that makes you want to collect them ... For me it started as the typical hero worship of wanting one like whatever Artist . After aquiring the basics ( Les Paul Custom/Strat/ Tele/ SG/335) it became more about construction style, aesthetic beauty and TONE .

Today I buy instruments that for me I can't refuse, those special finds you know you'll kick yourself for not being a steward if only for a while. There's still a few on my bucket list ... mostly out of reach ...unless I hit the Lotto .. like this one
oavctvqnhqcv00xoitku.jpg

Wow, what a stellar guitar!

I wasn't excited by instruments a a young person. I had an SG Special, a combo organ, and a Fender black panel Bassman head and cab, a Martin, and that was it for many years. I had them because I needed them for my gigs.

Those were my only instruments until the mid-80s, when all hell broke loose, I bought my first synthesizer, and became so obsessed with music production that I left my law practice and got into the ad music scene - which I'll be the first to admit, was a completely crazy thing to do!

to answer that question what is it about X? that makes you want to collect them ... For me it started as the typical hero worship of wanting one like whatever Artist . After aquiring the basics ( Les Paul Custom/Strat/ Tele/ SG/335) it became more about construction style, aesthetic beauty and TONE .

Today I buy instruments that for me I can't refuse, those special finds you know you'll kick yourself for not being a steward if only for a while. There's still a few on my bucket list ... mostly out of reach ...unless I hit the Lotto .. like this one
oavctvqnhqcv00xoitku.jpg
Man, they really blue it on that one.

The only time I’ve loved David Cross.

I love David Cross, especially when he does things to confound his audience. At one show, I noticed a guy doing sign language for the deaf, and my first thought was, "Was he there all along?" I only noticed him because Cross was getting distracted by him and stopped his bit to talk to him. It went on for a couple minutes before we realized it was a bit.

At another show, he was going off on something political, and the security guard stood up and screamed at him, "F*ck you! I don't have to sit here and listen to this bulls*t!!!" and stormed out of the theater. Cross stood there for a couple minutes and then said, "What the hell?" Turns out that wasn't a plant (which I suspected because I'd seen that guard at a couple other shows). Cross said later, "That wasn't a plant. I mean, the timing was perfect, but that wasn't a put on. Was that guy serious?"

I love David Cross, especially when he does things to confound his audience. At one show, I noticed a guy doing sign language for the deaf, and my first thought was, "Was he there all along?" I only noticed him because Cross was getting distracted by him and stopped his bit to talk to him. It went on for a couple minutes before we realized it was a bit.

At another show, he was going off on something political, and the security guard stood up and screamed at him, "F*ck you! I don't have to sit here and listen to this bulls*t!!!" and stormed out of the theater. Cross stood there for a couple minutes and then said, "What the hell?" Turns out that wasn't a plant (which I suspected because I'd seen that guard at a couple other shows). Cross said later, "That wasn't a plant. I mean, the timing was perfect, but that wasn't a put on. Was that guy serious?"
I’ve tried a bunch, but he never really does it for me.

But, Tobias. Tobias was so good it doesn’t matter what else he does.

The only time I’ve loved David Cross.
As you could have predicted, I have no idea who David Cross is. At all. Nor do I know who Tobias is.

And I'm not lookin' either of these dudes up on Google (yeah, I know 'googling' is now a verb :rolleyes: but not to me), because I figure I've gone this far without them, and things are fine, so I don't need to know who they are. Knowing might upset the whole apple cart.

However, I know who you guys are, in an internet sorta way.

Which is to say, I probably have no clue who you really are in actual life, but I'm gonna guess it's pretty close.

I love David Cross, especially when he does things to confound his audience.

Alan, I've at least met you in person. So I know who you are! Yay! I'd even recognize you on the street, provided you don't lose a lot of weight. If that happens, all bets are off.

oavctvqnhqcv00xoitku.jpg
Holy Crap!!!!!! That’s incredible. Immediately a “top 5 I’ve ever seen” guitar for me!

I’ve tried a bunch, but he never really does it for me.

But, Tobias. Tobias was so good it doesn’t matter what else he does.

Mr. Show is one of those - well, it's hit and miss. I like large parts of it, but others just leave me kind of eh. But, to be fair, Monty Python had those kind of moments, too. And Kids In The Hall. And despite what a lot of old people will tell you, the first few years of SNL were not wall-to-wall laughs. They had a ton of clunkers, but people only remember the funny stuff. But I'll give it to you straight.

I was perusing The NY Times yesterday, and there was an interview with a British actor who collects stamps. He said a collection isn't defined by how many of a thing you put in it, it's defined by what you leave out.

That's a pretty interesting thought!

And it spurred other thoughts that were mentioned in another thread.

Lots of folks here talk about their collections. My thought has always been that collecting is a matter of intent to build a collection, involving hunting for particular items and trying to fill perceived gaps in what one considers their collection. In other words, the essence of a collection for me has been intentional addition.

If you're not looking to build a collection, my argument goes, you're not a collector. You can count my electric guitars literally on one hand. I don't go guitar hunting to round out a collection. So I've never considered myself a collector.

Usually I have a particular project in mind for the instrument. Sometimes I fall in love with an instrument and buy it for that reason alone, knowing it'll come in handy in my work.

But I leave lots of things out, and that's a matter of intentional subtraction.

Have I been wrong all these years and curated a teensy-tiny collection, or do I just have a few guitars I like and find useful? And is there a meaningful difference?
No, to guys like you and me they are tone tools of the trade.. I have 6 electrics and 2 slide guitars. that’s enough. Collections are for, aahhh, collectors

I'm a hobby player so I could just play with 1 guitar in all honesty. However I really like guitars and when I see or hear one I like I'll buy it if I want it enough. I'll also keep it/them in most cases. It's definitely a collection and since it's mine... I'm a collector and pretty happy about it.
I also collect vinyl records, motorcycle stuff and classic car stuff.
I have a good time with all of it.

Back