An Interesting Thought About A Collection

I told my son (34) who is the executor for my estate to check Reverb for market price if he wants to liquidate , and get a Gruhn's appraisal for the rarer beasts. I've also made it very clear to NOT ever sell the PRS's or the ones I made ... Fenders, Gibson's, Gretsch,Heritage, Taylor happy to have owned them .. wish my generations to come would enjoy .. but no worries if you want the $$ just be SMART about it

This one falls under "ones I'd like to have back" although Carly is a sweetheart and that one was made to her exacting specs...
16463670_10206755324476454_3746504827458967128_o.thumb.jpg.0f56c739f8273673d77061fe260b7167.jpg

My greatest fear in life is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.

^^ I saw that comment in some guitar forum once and it stuck with me.

I've always waffled between the idea of widdling it all down to 2 or 3 guitars and just keeping my current inventory of around 10 ish. Most people ask if they all get played and I say no. But yet I couldn't part with some of them either. Some have been with me so long they're like family members or long-time friends.

Getting a signature of a player you really like is one thing (then realizing wow, that person sure likes different things out of a guitar than I do haha) but I can admire pure motivations from someone who loves X and wants to surround themselves with every facet of that. As well as the man possessed who seems to crank out a bajillion different tones from their one dearly loved guitar.
I finally decided that after I'm dead, nothing matters.

However, my son will probably take over most of my guitars, and if he doesn't want one or more, he knows enough to get a good price for my wife (he's got a Fender endorsement, knows his stuff).

If my grandson winds up playing, I'm sure he'll want one, too, but my son has called dibs on several. OK, on more than several! ;)

I tell my self frequently that my collection is an investment , but primarily so clients can try a wide array and decide which elements of several they want to incorporate into thier custom .

That's an absolutely great business reason to have them.
My wife would have said “You’re the luthier, build them yourself!”.:p:D

My X said those famous last words ... You can't buy any more guitars but you can build as many as you want ....
SO much happier to have 25 more guitars and one less wife ...along with a delightful time building
If I was no longer married, I'd want to ditch the guitars and go with 25 girlfriends.

"There aren't that many women in the entire world that have sunk so low, or become so desperate, that they'd be with you, Les."

"OK. How about ten?"

"Dream on."

"One?"

"I've consulted my Magic 8-ball. No girlfriend for you."

Back