An Interesting Thought About A Collection

My collection might best be defined as “those that survived.” Not so much what I bought as what I didn’t get rid of… and they’ve collected here. There’s lots of gear I’d love to have, but I wonder how much of it I’d keep. That seems to be the common thread in what I have. It keeps earning its space.
That's a great point, and I can totally relate. I've had a lot that's come and gone. What's remained has been, for me, the. best of what's been here.

Nonetheless, I've always thought of my guitars on an individual basis, not as a group or set. "I need this or that to complete the set," hasn't been a thing for me.

By definition, a buncha stuff is a collection. But I still think collectors have a different mindset.. Not certain about that, however.

Same here! But lately there are none, it’s kind of a new frontier for me.
The thought that just popped into my head is that I've had some magic instruments, but didn't realize just how exceptional they were until I sold them!

After a long time, maybe it finally got through my thick skull that perhaps it's a good idea to recognize how lucky I've been to find the magic ones, and just hang onto them.

As Joni Mitchell said, "Don't it always seem to go, you don't know what you've got til it's gone."

That's a great point, and I can totally relate. I've had a lot that's come and gone. What's remained has been, for me, the. best of what's been here.

Nonetheless, I've always thought of my guitars on an individual basis, not as a group or set. "I need this or that to complete the set," hasn't been a thing for me.

By definition, a buncha stuff is a collection. But I still think collectors have a different mindset.. Not certain about that, however.

I know you don't think you need this or that to 'complete' a set, but do you not buy guitars to 'add' to the collection of tones you can offer to a prospective Client? You have multiple guitars I assume to offer a 'wider' array of tonal colours to paint your music with. If you 'need' a Stratty like sound, then you 'buy' something that expands your 'collection' of tools to do things your current collection doesn't offer.

If you 'need' a tele, strat, LP, Cu24 and Acoustic to make your music, that is still a 'collection'. At some point, did you think I 'need' to buy a guitar because your current collection doesn't have the right tool so you 'need' to buy something to add to your 'collection/set/toolbag' and if you have a guitar that does what you want/need, don't feel like you are missing' something from your collection you want.

It's not quite the same as trying to find a specific stamp to complete a 'set' which suddenly makes it a LOT more valuable as a 'complete' set - its more about getting a 'complete' set of Tools, set of 'tones', you 'need' to make the Music you do...

I know you don't think you need this or that to 'complete' a set, but do you not buy guitars to 'add' to the collection of tones you can offer to a prospective Client? You have multiple guitars I assume to offer a 'wider' array of tonal colours to paint your music with. If you 'need' a Stratty like sound, then you 'buy' something that expands your 'collection' of tools to do things your current collection doesn't offer.

If you 'need' a tele, strat, LP, Cu24 and Acoustic to make your music, that is still a 'collection'. At some point, did you think I 'need' to buy a guitar because your current collection doesn't have the right tool so you 'need' to buy something to add to your 'collection/set/toolbag' and if you have a guitar that does what you want/need, don't feel like you are missing' something from your collection you want.

It's not quite the same as trying to find a specific stamp to complete a 'set' which suddenly makes it a LOT more valuable as a 'complete' set - its more about getting a 'complete' set of Tools, set of 'tones', you 'need' to make the Music you do...
Well, in a way yes, and in a way, no.

I never think I need a Strat or LP or 335 sound. However, I do sometimes go looking for a guitar for a project thinking, "I'm hearing something rich and deep sounding for this one," etc. Oddly enough, I'm often surprised at what I wind up with.

But there are times that literally, I fall in love with an instrument that wouldn't have occurred to me in a million years to buy.

Still, I don't like to have a lot of instruments that do pretty much the same thing. In that sense I'm thinking about the tools in the bag for sure!

I have a “buncha stuff”, but I’m not a collector. This thread did push me into my danger zone, ie thinking. I have a Strat that hasn’t called out to me in a long time. My thinking brain says move it. My non-thinking brain says a Strat should be included in the “buncha stuff” a guitar player owns. The non-thinking brain is stupid. But it seems to have the power to override the thinking brain. I’m sure in my case it’s because the non-thinking brain is significantly larger than its counterpart.

I have a “buncha stuff”, but I’m not a collector. This thread did push me into my danger zone, ie thinking. I have a Strat that hasn’t called out to me in a long time. My thinking brain says move it. My non-thinking brain says a Strat should be included in the “buncha stuff” a guitar player owns. The non-thinking brain is stupid. But it seems to have the power to override the thinking brain. I’m sure in my case it’s because the non-thinking brain is significantly larger than its counterpart.
There's that 'most men think with the little head instead of the big head' maxim, too, but it has nothing to do with guitars! ;)

On the other hand, I have had my non-thinking musical instrument brain override my thinking brain MANY times!

Only in my case it was always -- Oooo! I like that one - I'll sell [insert model of far more stellar guitar in my little handful] and get it now!

And amps...I've made worse mistakes with amps than with guitars.

I talk a thinking person's game, but I'm irrational WAY too often.

"Yes, we know that Les, because we read your irrational drivel here!"

"I throw myself on the mercy of the court."

I don't know what the OP was thinking by starting this thread - the philosophy of collecting being both an arcane and boring topic - but I've decided to hijack it.

"I'm not seeing a new topic."

"I was hoping you'd think of one."

"Out of luck. I shot my hijacking bolt on the chili dog thread."

Back