SamAsh - pretty good experience (updated)

Atrain1975

This past Saturday, I bought a turquoise McCarty from SamAsh - one of their “guitars of distinction” - from their website. I liked the unusual color and didn’t have a stoptail in my small collection. I was told when I made a phone inquiry that they couldn’t discount the guitar, so after thinking it over I went for it. On Sunday, Samash sent me a 10% discount code good for anything in the store. After a few calls on Tuesday, they agreed to adjust my price to reflect the discount. Great - I thought.

Guitar arrived yesterday with some obvious pick scratches above and below the strings. I called customer service and asked whether I had unknowingly purchased a demo / floor model and the guy said no, their “guitars of distinction” are never out on the floor and he had no idea why or how it was scratched. I asked what he could do to make it right, and last night I got an email with a return label, telling me I could return it for a full refund. Fair enough, I thought, stuff happens and I just have to decide whether to live with it or move on.

While pondering my dilemma, I started looking around to see if I could find another turquoise McCarty anywhere. To my surprise, I find one on Reverb, and it’s the guitar I had just bought (same serial number and SamAsh listing) and received, except that it’s listed as a mint condition floor model. As of 9:15 AM today, it’s still there — and for about $1k less that I had paid (after adjustment) because of its condition. I’m waiting for the Samash open today so that I can talk with someone about all this.

Am I wrong for thinking this is deceptive, and a lousy way to do business? I realize SamAsh is a large retailer and might not have a complete handle on its operations. Nevertheless, my first experience with Samash has been a big disappointment, especially in comparison with my numerous dealings with the folks at Sweetwater, who have always gone above and beyond.

Sorry for the rant, but perhaps someone else can learn from my experience when considering where to shop. And maybe do a double-check on reverb before buying from Samash.

I saw this guitar and thought it was beautiful. If all we are talking about are pick scratches, every single time I've purchased a guitar that was already in stock with a retailer, as opposed to custom ordering, it shows up with some minor play wear/pick scratches.

Use this: https://www.guitarscratchremover.co...r-scratch-remover/products/players-kit-deluxe

Works like a gem and will remove any minor surface scratches. I've continued to use it on all of my guitars to keep the finish looking great.

I would contact them and if they won't adjust the price to what it is on Reverb, send it back. I have purchased a number of guitars from the Sam Ash that is closest to me and I have never had any issues with them. This is Guitar Center crap that I have never seen them do before. You have every right to be upset about this, IMHO. I would just put it in blunt terms. Tell them you found this guitar listed as used on Reverb for much less money and unless they adjust it to that price it is coming back. It doesn't help them any to get it back so it is in their best interest to work with you. You have it in a post to prove it is the same guitar.

Wait and see what they say when you tell them you will either, 1. Send the guitar back using their label, at their expense, for a full refund… where they lose the sale and shipping 2 ways, or, 2. they can refund the difference between the price you paid and the Reverb price, thereby saving loss of shipping cost and the loss of about 10% of the sales price in Reverb fees. If they can scrape together a thimble full of brains between themselves, a quick apology for the confusion and a partial refund is an obvious win all around.

You get a nice used guitar at a proper price, they walk away with a sale and likely more money than they’d make with a Reverb sale. I had a very similar experience with Amazon, albeit at a lower dollar amount, and they also quickly chose option 2.

Thanks, everyone. I’m glad that my reaction wasn’t out of line.

I am happy to say that the SamAsh national sales director followed up with me to explain what happened and apologize for the situation. He offered to discount the guitar to below the reverb listing (which was in error) as an accommodation, and I think that’s very fair. Glad that I can keep and play this guitar without harboring any resentment!

Given this resolution, I would be willing to do business with them again. Stuff goes wrong for everyone; making things right makes all the difference, imho. For my part, I thought it was important to post this positive follow up.

I am happy to say that the SamAsh national sales director followed up with me to explain what happened and apologize for the situation. He offered to discount the guitar to below the reverb listing (which was in error) as an accommodation, and I think that’s very fair. Glad that I can keep and play this guitar without harboring any resentment!

Given this resolution, I would be willing to do business with them again. Stuff goes wrong for everyone; making things right makes all the difference, imho. For my part, I thought it was important to post this positive follow up.
I am glad they made it right
Congrats on the new guitar
I hope it lasts a very long time for you

Thank you for posting the follow up. This is the behavior that I expect from Sam Ash. They are so far ahead of GC for customer service.

Nicely done sir, and congrats!

I've bought a number of guitars from Sam Ash that were in their Guitars of Distinction selection over the years. They've always done right by me, although they have seemed to go through a reorganization in the last few years and the quality of employees seemed to drop somewhat (not guitar center low of course)... that said their sales reps always seem to do the right thing, and, well, stuff happens. Seems like your situation worked out for the best.

All that said, at least in their NYC Manhattan store the guitars that are in the Distinction Selection are definitely available for people to play, although in a separate room and they're locked into their hangers.

I bought my NF53 form them which was in that designation and was definitely out for people to play in their L.A. store before it was shipped to me (the sales rep gave me some wiggle room with the price becuase it was out on the floor, which I thought was cool - and the guitar was really none the worse for wear)

That’s awesome! Happy ending!

Last guitar I bought from Sam Ash was already shipped to me and delivered, before it came down from Reverb

Back