An Interesting Thought About A Collection

László

Too Many Notes
I was perusing The NY Times yesterday, and there was an interview with a British actor who collects stamps. He said a collection isn't defined by how many of a thing you put in it, it's defined by what you leave out.

That's a pretty interesting thought!

And it spurred other thoughts that were mentioned in another thread.

Lots of folks here talk about their collections. My thought has always been that collecting is a matter of intent to build a collection, involving hunting for particular items and trying to fill perceived gaps in what one considers their collection. In other words, the essence of a collection for me has been intentional addition.

If you're not looking to build a collection, my argument goes, you're not a collector. You can count my electric guitars literally on one hand. I don't go guitar hunting to round out a collection. So I've never considered myself a collector.

Usually I have a particular project in mind for the instrument. Sometimes I fall in love with an instrument and buy it for that reason alone, knowing it'll come in handy in my work.

But I leave lots of things out, and that's a matter of intentional subtraction.

Have I been wrong all these years and curated a teensy-tiny collection, or do I just have a few guitars I like and find useful? And is there a meaningful difference?

Last edited:
I was perusing The NY Times yesterday, and there was an interview with a British actor who collects stamps. He said a collection isn't defined by how many of a thing you put in it, it's defined by what you leave out.

That's a pretty interesting thought!

And it spurred other thoughts that were mentioned in another thread.

Lots of folks here talk about their collections. My thought has always been that collecting is a matter of intent to build a collection, involving hunting for particular items and trying to fill perceived gaps in what one considers their collection. In other words, the essence of a collection for me has been intentional addition.

If you're not looking to build a collection, my argument goes, you're not a collector. You can count my electric guitars literally on one hand. I don't go guitar hunting to round out a collection. So I've never considered myself a collector.

Usually I have a particular project in mind for the instrument. Sometimes I fall in love with an instrument and buy it for that reason alone, knowing it'll come in handy in my work.

But I leave lots of things out, and that's a matter of intentional subtraction.

Have I been wrong all these years and curated a teensy-tiny collection, or do I just have a few guitars I like and find useful? And is there a meaningful difference?

A 'collection' can also be something amassed over time with no real forethought or plan.

I have a 'collection' of guitars that I have amassed over time - not to 'collect' guitars as a 'Stamp Collector' may collect stamps. I have a 'collection' of tools in the shed, not to 'collect' tools, but were amassed over time and were often bought to enable me to carry out some project, some maintenance, some repair/DiY job etc. I am 'not' collecting tools, but I do have a tool 'collection'.

When I refer to my collection of guitars, I am referring to the fact that I have amassed multiple guitars over the years, not that I 'collect' guitars or consider myself to be a collector either. Anyone with more than 1 or 2 guitars can be said to have a 'collection' even if they themselves don't 'collect' guitars and see them as 'tools' in their toolbag.

I am sure there are 'Collectors' of guitars but I don't think you have to be a 'Collector' to have a Collection of Guitars - at least that's my opinion...

I didn't originally intend on being a collector, I aquired instruments primarily from wanting one like my heroes. As I began Lutherie I switched to examples of instruments from different styles of materials and construction . I justify it when a client comes over they can play through many and pick the attributes they'd like on their instrument. Over the past 40 years the collection has grown, and I try to play each one regularly to enjoy each unique personality. ( the 4 PRS and 2 335's and a cocobolo custom not in the pic) Now that my grandsons have started playing I know they will inherit a lifetime of great instruments and just focus on playing better.
97698d1672345284-guitar-buying-frenzy-over-den-jpg

Last edited:
A 'collection' can also be something amassed over time with no real forethought or plan.

I have a 'collection' of guitars that I have amassed over time - not to 'collect' guitars as a 'Stamp Collector' may collect stamps. I have a 'collection' of tools in the shed, not to 'collect' tools, but were amassed over time and were often bought to enable me to carry out some project, some maintenance, some repair/DiY job etc. I am 'not' collecting tools, but I do have a tool 'collection'.
Yes, that's definitely a meaning of the word, but would you call yourself a "tool collector'?

Attention, comedy people: Not THAT meaning of the word, 'tool'. K? ;)

Yes, that's definitely a meaning of the word, but would you call yourself a "tool collector'?

Attention, comedy people: Not THAT meaning of the word, 'tool'. K? ;)

Keeping it perfectly 'straight', I don't consider myself to be a 'collector' of tools at all of any type. Whether its Carpentry/DiY, repair 'tools' or my 'guitar 'tools' to play music with...

I didn't originally intend on being a collector, I aquired instruments primarily from wanting one like my heroes. As I began Lutherie I switched to examples of instruments from different styles of materials and construction . I justify it when a client comes over they can play through many and pick the attributes they'd like on their instrument. Over the past 40 years the collection has grown, and I try to play each one regularly to enjoy each unique personality. ( the PRS's and 2 335's not in the pic) Now that my grandsons have started playing I know they will inherit a lifetime of great instruments and just focus on playing better.
97698d1672345284-guitar-buying-frenzy-over-den-jpg
I not only like the guitars, I like the Greywolf plaque and the rug! And I totally admire the fact that you'd rather put your gear on your rug, chairs and couch than sit or walk on them yourself! That, my friend, is devotion to one's equipment. ;)

I never considered myself a collector, but I kind of ended up with some collections: notably bikes and guitars.

I do consciously leave a bunch of stuff out: like 594s, stuff built by any of the many other great builders out there - there are just too many to keep up with.

Maybe I’m a curator.
I could get along with that descriptor

My collection might best be defined as “those that survived.” Not so much what I bought as what I didn’t get rid of… and they’ve collected here. There’s lots of gear I’d love to have, but I wonder how much of it I’d keep. That seems to be the common thread in what I have. It keeps earning its space.

Back