An Interesting Nite, or Maybe Not ...

IKnowALittle

So I get a call out of the blue from a guy who wants to form an Eagles tribute band last weekend. Hey, a man after my own heart ... love the Eagles. Tonite we got together.

I don't know, I guess I'm a dick. These were some youngish guys, heart in the right place, but they will never be able to form an Eagles tribute band. Just don't have it. That's cool, all the best to them.

I don't know who I was supposed to be, but I declined the offer of joining the band. Made a couple of observations, not well received, but hey, that's the way it goes.
Anyway, my 2011 Studio rang proud and true, like always.

I've been working on a solo thing. Never been able to play a prs acoustic. I would like something like that, they sound good, reasonable price and look great. Maybe I'll order one online. I do fingerpicking/fingerstye, once I get it together maybe play volunteer gigs to start ... who knows were it will go.

I know that there are some guys that like country here, some that hate it.
Just an observation ... I don't think Hank Jr. is actually Hank's son.

It is what it is. Everyone starts somewhere, some just don't have it. It's all a matter of finding the right people to work with that are on the same playing field...at least in the same league. You never truly know going into an audition if that's little league or the big league. I've been to a pile of jam/audition type things where I felt either the talent level wasn't there or they weren't anywhere near the description of music they had stated. I wasn't in a band for several years cause I got tired of looking. I played at home, learned a ton about gear in general and worked on my song writing and arranging. My guitar playing took a step back, but I learned a lot listening to a bunch of styles of music. While I wasn't happy not playing in a band, it helped me a bunch with composing and arranging. Playing bass, writing vocal parts and melodies. Gave me a much larger appreciation of the bigger picture, rather than just through a guitarist's eyes.

At least they're trying. There's many people who don't even give it a go, then regret not trying.

I Have been lucky....as a garage band level player i am always thrilled to jam and play with almost anyone. I am envious of the guys who have the talent to really bring it, but by the same token maybe i enjoy each and every situation more than them?

Reactions: CVS
I Have been lucky....as a garage band level player i am always thrilled to jam and play with almost anyone. I am envious of the guys who have the talent to really bring it, but by the same token maybe i enjoy each and every situation more than them?
I wouldn't say that at all. We're talking about 3 different types of situations.
A) tribute band - there's always expectations here, obviously the music is already written. Everyone will have opinions on how exact they want to be or how much improv is cool.
B) original bands(my situation) - all open to what each individual wants....that's why it's such a pain.
C) impromptu jams - anything goes! Some guys are into jam sessions and love it. It's not my favorite thing to do, mostly because I'm not great at it. I can find something to play, but I'm always over analyzing myself in those situations.

I know these posts read really arrogant and self-serving. They aren't intended to be that way. It's just the way I read situations.
I believe that if your going to bill yourself as a "tribute" band, you raise the bar significantly.
These guys were "campfire" Eagles. They were nice guys, not untalented.
At the end of the day, they were just fishin', with good intent, not going to do anything.
No matter, good luck to them, just not for me.

Last edited:
Yeah, there's always different levels of musicians, and it's pretty hard to find a group where they are all equal, in talent and overall goals. I always enjoyed playing with those better than me to push me...but at the same time I really enjoy jamming to some easy tunes and watching the audience ( usually in a very small bar) enjoy the evening. (Damned hypocrite)

Reactions: CVS
It is what it is. Everyone starts somewhere, some just don't have it. It's all a matter of finding the right people to work with that are on the same playing field...at least in the same league. You never truly know going into an audition if that's little league or the big league. I've been to a pile of jam/audition type things where I felt either the talent level wasn't there or they weren't anywhere near the description of music they had stated. I wasn't in a band for several years cause I got tired of looking. I played at home, learned a ton about gear in general and worked on my song writing and arranging. My guitar playing took a step back, but I learned a lot listening to a bunch of styles of music. While I wasn't happy not playing in a band, it helped me a bunch with composing and arranging. Playing bass, writing vocal parts and melodies. Gave me a much larger appreciation of the bigger picture, rather than just through a guitarist's eyes.

At least they're trying. There's many people who don't even give it a go, then regret not trying.

They were in there late 20's, early 30's.
I don't wish to cast aspersions. They played pretty well and sang pretty well.
I think the problem is that moooooooooost people underestimate the complexity of the Eagles songs.
The music is complex, the arrangements complex, very precise, layered upon a simple foundation of strength, purity, resilience ... truth, justice and the American Way. To play it well/correctly is not a trivial proposition, and let's not even begin to talk about the vocals.

I'm playing in two bands as it is with lots of work so that's cool.
Thx Man, Take care.

Last edited:
Reminds me of a funny thing I saw recently. Went into a local club and there was a Kix tribute band. It's funny because Kix was local to this area, and they in fact still play around here locally off and on. I stuck around for a while waiting to here "The Itch" but it got late and I'm sure that was going to be their grand finale.

These were some youngish guys, heart in the right place, but they will never be able to form an Eagles tribute band
They should probably follow their own path. Rather that jumping on an Eagles band wagon that has to negotiate very high slopes to start with why not do their own stuff in pubs and clubs and build up a reputation? I tried several times but my ᗅᗺᗷᗅ tribute band just never quite cut it.

+1

I understand your direction and don't find it dickish or anything else. A tribute band is more than just passingly knowing the music, get up there in your shorts and flipflops and wail away. Tribute means note perfect, sight perfect, parts, and personalities. You have to be believable well past the music alone. IF they don't understand that, then in the garage is the right place for them presently.

Yeah, there's always different levels of musicians, and it's pretty hard to find a group where they are all equal, in talent and overall goals. I always enjoyed playing with those better than me to push me...but at the same time I really enjoy jamming to some easy tunes and watching the audience ( usually in a very small bar) enjoy the evening. (Damned hypocrite)

I am the same way as well. When I play in front of people, I like some "easy stuff" (at least my part) so that I can listen to the other band members as well as survey the audience. I also like some more challenging music and like to be challenged by those better than me so that I have to respond

I dunno what's the difference between a tribute band and a band that plays covers?. Most every band has played covers. Lots of hypin and typin goin down seems to me. Either you like what the guys are playing or you don't. No drama either way. Most of us would like to be writing and performing original music, but most people can't write good songs and play the instrument to a high level and also sing. So they won't be the Eagles. Not surprising really coz the Eagles were pretty darn good. Fantastic vocals, good even great songs and good players.

As far as my understanding is cover bands are bands that play covers from anyone and everyone. Tribute bands only play the tunes from who they are tributing and, in general, dress like the band too. See Hotter than Hell for example.

Back