Interesting offer...

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
You know I'm putting together a little bedroom recording studio.

Yesterday I came across a guy who owns a sports memorabilia store and also has a Sennheiser 441 microphone from the 1970's (he says) that he wants to trade me for a pair of white satin Everlast boxing trunks that Muhammad Ali autographed for me.

I'll probably not do it because the trunks are probably worth more. Maybe double.

But it's an interesting proposition. Those are great mics.

Stevie Nicks and Elton John use them.

Just mentioning this for the fun of it I guess!

Nooo, don't do it! Those trunks have far more value both financially and culturally than a microphone. Trading for a mic you may not even like in the end is a recipe for regret.

441's are still being made and used prices are pretty reasonable. Unless there is some kind of verifiable provenance that makes that particular mic special you're gonna be eating the wrong end of the poop stick.

Nooo, don't do it! Those trunks have far more value both financially and culturally than a microphone. Trading for a mic you may not even like in the end is a recipe for regret.

441's are still being made and used prices are pretty reasonable. Unless there is some kind of verifiable provenance that makes that particular mic special you're gonna be eating the wrong end of the poop stick.
I think you're right. The trunks are probably worth twice what the mic is worth.

Besides, Ali was my hero growing up.

I don't box, and I'm not an autograph hound. The pants would just be more junk in the storage room for my kids to get rid of. I'd get no joy out of that.

I record. I'd at least be able to get some use out of the mic.

"But think of the market value of iconic boxing shorts with Ali's signature."

"Bah! Love of money is the root of all decisions not to get microphones." ;)

Not all value is measured in dollars and cents. I gave my grandfather a football signed by a very famous player. Sadly he passed away a few years later. It's worth a modest bit but its staying with the family. Not because we're waiting for it to appreciate but because of how happy it made my grandfather. It meant a lot to him so it means a lot to us.

But onto another subject, my little home studio is shaping up.

Bought the desk yesterday in Rifle, Colorado for $100. It was good deal. Almost $300 at Sweetwater.

I'll have to soundproof that window.

Joe Walsh said "You only need 8 tracks for Rock and Roll". You're set.

The shorts would be easy to get rid of and much harder to get back.

About the studio though, I'd seriously think about getting the monitors on stands at ear level and in the classic equilateral triangle pattern. Just try it out temporarily by moving them to the edge of the main desk in the triangle configuration and sit/kneel on the floor so your ears are at the same level or a bit below and see how they sound.

That’s a great mic, when paired with an equally valuable preamp through a professional quality recoding desk. Doubt one could do it justice with a “bedroom studio”. Keep the trunks!

The shorts would be easy to get rid of and much harder to get back.

About the studio though, I'd seriously think about getting the monitors on stands at ear level and in the classic equilateral triangle pattern. Just try it out temporarily by moving them to the edge of the main desk in the triangle configuration and sit/kneel on the floor so your ears are at the same level or a bit below and see how they sound.
Speakers aren't plugged in yet. I just set things up to admire them.

The desk isn't even screwed together yet.

But i found out Sweetwater sells the wings that came with for $95 each.

So this thing was about $500 new and i got it for $100 and a tank of gas. It was a L-O-N-G ways away.

I have a Spock shirt signed by Leonard Nimoy. It’s not a huge value, but I can’t see ever getting rid of it. Some things are a portal to a past you can’t otherwise touch. Little things, really. But worth remembering.

It’s only logical.

I have a pair of Julie Bowen's.... wait... I better not say that in public because she doesn't know. ;)

KickstandRules is only days away. Yay!!

Back